News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Microsoft : Windows 11 on M1 ‘is not a supported scenario’

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Microsoft : Windows 11 on M1 ‘is not a supported scenario’

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

https://www.theregister.com/2021/09/10/windows_11_m1/

Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 11 on Apple’s M1 is not “a supported scenario” for the OS that stands to bring so much joy to OEMs.

The confirmation was given to The Register by a Microsoft spokesperson as the super-corp unleashed an ad campaign for the Windows 11 operating system, due in less than a month, and continued tweaking the preview code for Windows Insiders via the Dev and Beta Channels…

The Reg asked Parallels what it had done to persuade the Windows 11 preview that all was well. It has yet to explain the trick. We asked Microsoft whether running Windows 11 on an M1 Mac in Parallels is supported, and were told it’s an unsupported scenario. Running the OS directly on the hardware isn’t supported, either…

Susan Bradley
        Manager

It’s like installing QuickBooks on a VM.  Does the vendor support it?  No unless it’s their official hosting spots.  Does it work?  Yes.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Running the OS directly on the hardware isn’t supported, either…

Well … if the idea is to run Win 11 in a Mac, and as the point of having a Mac is to use a Mac, what is so great about running Windows 11 on a Mac? If one wishes, for whatever reason, to run Win 11, why not buy oneself a fully supported and adequately priced new PC with Win 11 on it? Would that not be just as expensive, or be even perhaps cheaper, than buying the Parallels’ VM software? Unless one already has the VM installed in the Mac, but even so, should the price be much of a consideration? Obviously, someone who can use a VM, needs to have both systems available, and is able to use them both might not have a really big problem with the price of doing things either way.

So I must say that this interest in running Win 11 of a Mac has me somewhat mystified. Running Linux on a Mac, for laughs and giggles, is another story, because Linux is basically small in the computer resources it needs, its command line is hardly different from the macOS command line, and scripts and programs (at least the source files, to be compiled under Linux and put together with “make”, etc., or vice versa), the stuff one might create for one OS, would often enough run with no, or with few modifications in the other. I have used quite a bit “Cygwin”, a Linux emulator, to develop software in a Win 7 PC that then has been run, after recompiling the source, both on Linux and Macs, so I have some idea of why and how this may work. And, unless I am much mistaken, Linux can be run on a VM on a Mac.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
        Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
        Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome. also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

Ascaris
          AskWoody MVP

Well … if the idea is to run Win 11 in a Mac, and as the point of having a Mac is to use a Mac, what is so great about running Windows 11 on a Mac?

Same reason as on a Linux PC. Some things you might want to do require Windows. You’re more likely to have a native Mac version than a Linux version of a given thing, but there’s no guarantee. I have Windows in a Virtualbox VM for that purpose. I don’t need it much, but I have used it from time to time, for things like programming the onboard profiles on my Corsair mouse and keyboard (once they are programmed, they function independently of the OS, which means they work with the assigned functions in Linux just fine). Corsair has not released a Linux utility to do that, so I use virtual Windows to make up for it.

If one wishes, for whatever reason, to run Win 11, why not buy oneself a fully supported and adequately priced new PC with Win 11 on it?

Eek, no, that’s missing the point. The point is to not have to do that, but to catch those edge cases where you need Windows for something without having to have a whole extra PC. You get the best of both worlds… Windows (nicely contained within a box that mitigates most of the negatives) for those things that require it, and freedom from Windows for everything else (including updates, importantly).

Would that not be just as expensive, or be even perhaps cheaper, than buying the Parallels’ VM software?

I wouldn’t know about that, but Virtualbox is free, and that’s what I use. The situation described, using Windows virtually on a Mac, is much like mine. I use Linux particularly because I do not want to use Windows. The M1 changes things, but other than that, the recent Macs have been PCs, so there’s no technical reason not to run Windows on them virtually, and that’s why it has become “a thing.”

I have virtual Windows on my XPS, my go-with-me PC, so if I should happen to need it (heaven forbid) while out and about, it’s there. The whole point is to expand the capability of my existing gear, not to buy more. I don’t want to have to have another PC for Windows 10 that is at home when my XPS is with me, and I certainly don’t need yet another thing taking up more space.

That said, I see no special reason to want Windows 11 specifically as the VM guest. That could change years down the road, but for now, you’re fine with a Windows 1o guest, and if you are talking about a M1 Mac, most of the Windows stuff you’d want a Windows VM for won’t work anyway, as the large majority of Windows stuff is x86/AMD64 only.

Dell XPS 13/9310, i5-1135G7/16GB, KDE Neon
          Dell G3 15/3579, i7-8750H/16GB, KDE Neon
          Asus P8P67 Deluxe, i5-2500k/16GB, KDE Neon

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Ascaris:

That said, I see no special reason to want Windows 11 specifically as the VM guest. That could change years down the road, but for now, you’re fine with a Windows 1o guest, and if you are talking about a M1 Mac, most of the Windows stuff you’d want a Windows VM for won’t work anyway, as the large majority of Windows stuff is x86/AMD64 only.

My point exactly, other than buying a Windows 11 PC as an alternative solution when one would be using Win 11 on the Mac enough to justify doing that.

As to: “as the large majority of Windows stuff is x86/AMD64 only.

That would be no problem, because Rosetta 2 is program installed in the M1 Macs precisely to make it possible to run applications designed to for an Intel CPU (but not the actual whole Windows OS). Using Rosetta 2  does slow down things, yes, and slows them more or less depending on what one would like to do. But if the purpose for having Windows on an ARM Mx  “Silicon” Mac is to do something now and then, as you have described it, the computer being super-quick in execution may not be such a vital thing.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
        Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
        Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome. also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Microsoft : Windows 11 on M1 ‘is not a supported scenario’

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.