News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Microsoft’s business model viewed by 60+ y.o. boomer

Posted on dhdoyle Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Outside the box Microsoft’s business model viewed by 60+ y.o. boomer

• Author
        AskWoody Plus

I’m 63 and although I have no immediate plans to retire, I am already positioning myself and my consulting business for that eventuality. With Office 2010 facing EOL, I had to decide how to update Office. I chose to purchase and install Office 2019 Professional rather than Office 365 because I have decided that I will not burden my fixed income in retirement with software subscription fees. My budget is going to be very tight. I hope that Libre Office will exist in some form after Office 2019 reaches EOL.

This brings me to the future of Windows. If Microsoft is going to move Windows to “aas”, it seems that I will be faced with the same decision. I am not going to burden my budget with monthly subscription fees for an “operating system”, either.

I have one very expensive engineering software package that switched to annual subscriptions in January. I paid for a 5-year license after learning that I might be able to purchase a perpetual license in the future (frozen, with no feature updates). This software is available in Windows only, so that’s my limiting factor.  Again, I’m hoping that some flavor of Linux with the ability to load this Windows-only software will be available afterward.

My future isn’t looking in the direction of Redmond.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2288376 Reply
        anonymous

Windows 10 is your best bet to make you retire sooner rather than later!

Have you considered a tied down Windows 7 or 8 guest VM within a Linux host (fedora workstation)?

• #2288386 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I hope that Libre Office will exist in some form after Office 2019 reaches EOL.

Why not switch now to the new free Libreoffice 7 ?

• #2288390 Reply
        anonymous

This brings me to the future of Windows. If Microsoft is going to move Windows to “aas”, it seems that I will be faced with the same decision. I am not going to burden my budget with monthly subscription fees for an “operating system”, either.

Windows has been “as a service” for more than five years, but it’s still non-subscription for the foreseeable future.

Overview of Windows as a service

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2288501 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Windows in a VM running your software may be enough to do what you require. Then it’s simple to keep it off the internet, back it up, restore it etc. And it will survive hardware updates as well.

You would need a retail version of Windows and a machine with plenty of RAM to get the best out of it, but that is about the only cost.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Microsoft’s business model viewed by 60+ y.o. boomer

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.