• Migrating to a Windows 11 Home Computer (XPS 13 – 9315) with my 1st SSD (512GB)

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 11 » Questions about Windows 11 » Migrating to a Windows 11 Home Computer (XPS 13 – 9315) with my 1st SSD (512GB)

Author
    Topic

Per the title, I am about to migrate from a W8.1 computer with a hard drive to this new computer from Dell. It will be my 1st time moving from a hard drive to an SSD.

My plan is to use PCmover with a high-speed USB cable.

I would appreciate any and all tips/suggestions etc. that would help me make the migration go more smoothly than if I tried this on my own w/o your help.

Thank you,

Dick_Y (aka southieguy)

Viewing 10 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Make an image backup of the new PC before you attempt to move anything.
      Collect all installation keys in one place.
      Be prepared to reinstall some apps.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.

Paul is right. I have 5 pages of To-Do’s from a Win 7 to W10 migration on a new computer with SSD-HDD combo. Apps Dnload URL’s-ID-PWds are obvious but little things I added as I thought of them (ie) ESET EIS Security Transfer LICENSE Within W7 App …Fast Start Keep DISabled in Control Panel/ System/ Power Options/ Unchk Fast Startup Box …..ENABLE SSD “TRIM” FEATURE, Etc., Etc.

W10 Pro 22H2 / Hm-Stdnt Ofce '16 C2R / HP Envy Desk-Ethernet - SSD-HDD/ i5(8th Gen) 12GB / GP=2 + FtrU=Semi-Annual + Feature Defer = 1 + QU=0

To continue the dialogue:

I’m starting to wonder if I need to use PCmover.  Note: I am not trying to save a few bucks.

I subscribe to Office 365. I run Malwarebytes Pro and the paid version of Macrium Reflect and use Firefox as my browser.

Aside from using Hotmail, I mostly use my PC for creating and using financial spreadsheets and Word documents.

What would I gain by using PCmover; and, if I did the migration manually,how would I move my Hotmail/Outlook “stuff” to the new machine?

Thanks for any help offered,

Dick-Y

Moving your setup is always the hardest bit IMO, e.g. mail config / bookmarks. The data itself is relatively easy after the setup is done.

Search for moving the Outlook and FF config to see how easy it is. If it seems hard, use PCM.

cheers, Paul

Final question (I hope):

I have always used a 2-partition system for the OS and my data.

Since this is my 1st computer with an SSD, do people still use multiple partitions on an SSD?

Thank you,

Dick-Y

Up to you how many partitions you have – an SSD makes no difference.
      2 partitions make imaging and data backup easier.

cheers, Paul

What’s the saying: “We’ve come a long way baby!” I started out in IT dealing with wireboards, converting them to run on the 1st IBM mainframe at an insurance company in Boston, using Cobol and Fortran.

So, just the thought of using an SSD, after dealing with Hard Drives, made me cautious.

Thanks for all your help Paul T.

Dick-Y

Don’t know about multiple partitions making backup easier, but it sure makes it faster. If this is your first experience with ssd you are going to be shocked and love it – wondering why you waited so long!

Good luck and post back your experience!

Never Say Never

Boy, you’re an old fart!  Bet you did that on an  IBM 407!  Wonderful machine.  (I’m an old fart, too.)

Boy, you’re an old fart!  Bet you did that on an  IBM 407!  Wonderful machine.  (I’m an old fart, too.)

I started with “programing” computer commands by plugging wires into IBM 1401 boards (remember old telephony switchboards ?).

Sorry for another “basic” question:

I haven’t made the move from my W8.1 PC to my new W11 Dell XPS 13 9315 yet.  I had to wait for Santa to deliver it.

Am I going to need a docking station because I am confused about the USB ports I Currently have on my Dell Latitude E5450 and what I am getting on the XPS laptop?

Thanks for bearing with me,

Dick_Y (aka Southieguy)

@southieguy

The USB ports on your 5450 are the “more traditional” looking type of ports, in that they’re blue-colored indicating that they’re USB 3 or 3.1 compliant.

However, the only interface ports on the XPS13-9315 are called “Thunderbolt 4 USB Type-C ports with Power Delivery”. What these ports are is USB, audio (if you choose to use external headphones with the supplied adapter in the box) and video (potentially with the help of a separately purchased adapter). Oh, they’re also used to power your new laptop from the power adapter that should be supplied in the box (just plug it into either one of the two ports).

So, they’re everything in one (or two) ports. There are no other ports on the laptop for anything from what the specs say. On the plus side, you CAN connect the Dell docking station to the computer through these ports (see this article on Dell’s site).

So, depending on just what external things you use with your 5450, you may have to make a decision or two about what goes where. BTW, I believe that the USB type C ports on the XPS are USB 3 and/or 3.1 compatible.

Oh, one question: Just how much RAM is coming with your new XPS unit, as it can have anywhere from 8 to 32 gigs of RAM? I have found out that the RAM is soldered to the board, so you can’t add any more later on.

I hope this helps a bit!

Following up on my partitioning an SSD question:

Does anyone know of a free Partitioning tool that I can use to partition my one C drive into 2 partitions, so I can keep my data off of C.

It looks like Minitool and Eusus (sp?) have gone to subscription models, so there “free” offerings don’t do things like resizing. Are there still any useful free ones out there?

Thanks for any help provided,

southieguy

I used Minitool free yesterday and it was fine.

You could try Niubi.

cheers, Paul

Paul T:

Niubi worked great! I took Bitlocker off the C drive first. Then I resized C.

I have to admit I was scared spitless (and praying the whole time) while it kept flashing my Bios, Intel stuff, and more.

The portable version I used was extremely fast doing it’s thing (after the Flash stuff) for the C drive, and especially the 2 other partitions I also set up.

Thank you,

Southieguy

Paul T,

Thanks.  I’ll try that.  Were you able to use Minitool to partition a drive?

southieguy

BTW, when I was trying to use Minitool yesterday, it showed my C drive as “Bitlocker”? How do I get rid of that designation w/o mucking things up?

southieguy

Please see my repky to Paul T’s suggestion to try Niubi to resize my C drive,

Southieguy

Viewing 10 reply threads
    Reply To: Migrating to a Windows 11 Home Computer (XPS 13 – 9315) with my 1st SSD (512GB)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: