• Migration away from Microsoft

Home » Forums » Developers, developers, developers » DevOps Lounge » Migration away from Microsoft

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago.
    Author
    Topic

Wanted: Recommendations of discussion forums (in AskWoody and elsewhere) where experienced programmers discuss development platforms as alternatives to Microsoft Windows and Office VBA

In particular I would like to hear from individuals with long experience who have faced a migration of development platforms in the past. Reply here publicly or by email via my web sites LandfallGardenHouse OR ChrisGreaves.

I am looking for suggestions of forums for discussion, not specific techniques of migration.

Thanks

I have a heavy personal investment in Microsoft (Windows and office) and for the past five months have been considering abandoning Microsoft in a much deeper sense than at any time over the past thirty years.

Essentially, I am tired of having to act in response to every change that is dreamt up by Microsoft. Back in 1997 I was so fed up of learning programming languages in general that I vowed that Word97-VBA would be my last language. I have written ONLY in Microsoft-Office VBA ever since. I have lost programming contracts as late as 2012 because I did not want to learn yet-another-language.

I have on this laptop 122 User projects and 64 Developer projects.

I estimate that 85% of the projects are written in Word VBA, 10% are written in Excel VBA, and the remaining 5% in PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, Project etc.

I estimate that 50% of these applications are fully-functional, and 50% extend all the way down to simple proof-of-concept.

These figures are not up for debate; I state them only for an example of the load of migration to another system.

Some of the user applications are specific to MSWord (the One-Click Indexer; valuable back in the day when I developed training courses, less useful now, but the logic will be suited to my next word processor)

Some of the developer applications are specific to development of program code and the concept will be valuable in my new programming language (PROJE scans a partition for any files that might host VBA code (DOC, DOT, XLS, BAS, FRM, TXT, …) and builds a 37 MB searchable string.

I have a Turing Machine Interpreter that supports subroutine libraries.

These three examples are not up for debate; I state them only to show the diversity of my personal investment. (And yes, I am bragging!).

Since 1967 I have been passionate about programming, my passion is diminishing year by year due to the erosion by Microsoft. Microsoft (Windows, Office) does not provide a stable platform for development. Back in 2007 The Ribbon was the least of my problems.

I have not yet given up on Microsoft, but I am closer to abandoning the leaky ship than ever I have been in the last quarter century, and seek a place where I can discuss my future with people who have experienced genuine migration from one development platform to another.

Cheers, Chris

Unless you're in a hurry, just wait.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies

Chris,

A simple question which will make all the difference…Are you programming for fun or profit?

In either case if you move away from MS you’ll leave VBA behind and have to learn a new language which you state you do not want to do so I’m a bit confused.

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
      Computer Specs

RG>>> A simple question which will make all the difference…Are you programming for fun or profit?

Hi RG. Well, a simple question deserves a complex answer, so …

I started at Uni, programming because it was fun.

Then I spent 44 years programming for fun for people who were stupid enough to pay me for doing what I thought of as fun. I met a lot of industries along the way.

Since 2012 I have been back to programming for fun, but over the past ten years, it has become less like fun and feels more like being a slave to Microsoft updates and changes that are, if beneficial, beneficial largely to non-developers.

I have not done maintenance of new development of any one of my applications since June, while I nut out where I’m trying to go.

That’s why I’m looking for a forum that is heavy on the business of migration, rather than on any specific platform for development.

RG>>> In either case if you move away from MS you’ll leave VBA behind and have to learn a new language which you state you do not want to do so I’m a bit confused.

RG, you’re allowed to be confused. Right now I am unsure of where to go, if to go at all.

Last time I counted I’d written (for pay!) in almost fifty languages. They came  at the rate of one to four each year in the late 60s and the 70s. In 1987 I dug in my heels, and that turns out to have been a good decision. A quarter of a century in what is a single language “Office VBA”

I know that if I switch from MS Windows/Office my data formats will change and I will have to learn a new language. I am contemplating this switch because I am no longer happy in the MS camp.

If I get another 25 years of LIFE I’ll be happy, regardless of my programming language (grin).

FWIW back in 2016 I took a copy of LibreOffice with me on vacation; their language is similar to VBA, to the level at which I can probably write some language-translator code (my original profession) to convert VBA to the LibreOffice version, so a new language is not such a terrible thing. The more applications one has the more economic sense it makes to write a translator application.

Thanks for the questions!

Cheers, Chris

Unless you're in a hurry, just wait.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: Migration away from Microsoft

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: