News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Mimecast shows yet another way to zap systems using Excel’s Power Query feature

Home Forums AskWoody blog Mimecast shows yet another way to zap systems using Excel’s Power Query feature

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by

b 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

Early this morning, email security company Mimecast released a report detailing how malicious folks can attack by abusing the Excel feature called Pow
      [See the full post at: Mimecast shows yet another way to zap systems using Excel’s Power Query feature]

• #1861128 Reply

Geo
      AskWoody Plus
      • #1861240 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

When you open a file that has macros, the yellow message bar appears with a shield icon and the Enable Content button. If you know the macro, or macros, are from a reliable source, use the following instructions: On the Message Bar, click Enable Content.

Enable or disable macros in Office files

(But I don’t get many emails in Korean language anyway.)

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1861210 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

I have these two questions: Are these issues only for users of “Enterprise” MS software for Windows 10?

If not, which versions of Windows and of Office are vulnerable to them?

Reading the information in the Web pages of those links I get the impression that are for “Enterprise” business versions, not for home or small business users running the “home” level of software.

• #1861213 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

Thus, we’re getting a full exposure.

Requires user to double-click a particular cell on versions later than 2010. Are you really exposed? I’m not.

Is it a shock to find at the end of their article that, “Mimecast Targeted Threat Protection detects and blocks the use of this technique,” for a minimum of $1,200 per year?

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

2 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Mimecast shows yet another way to zap systems using Excel’s Power Query feature

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.