• Mind the Android GPU Gap

Author
    Topic

Got an android device..you should read this:

Ian Beer Project Zero (Dated – Tuesday 22nd November 2022)

The vulnerabilities discussed in this blog post (CVE-2022-33917) are fixed by the upstream vendor, but at the time of publication, these fixes have not yet made it downstream to affected Android devices (including Pixel, Samsung, Xiaomi, Oppo and others). Devices with a Mali GPU are currently vulnerable….

Ref: https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2022/11/mind-the-gap.html

Check for a downstream update from your vendor.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

There is no chance that Android devices 2+ years old will get updated by vendors, except for Google (and maybe Samsung)

Security v Economy..guess who wins at the cost of the environment

Security v Economy..guess who wins at the cost of the environment

Economy / environment wins.
      Android buyers don’t care about security so don’t upgrade every year or even 3 years.

Economy / environment wins. Android buyers don’t care about security so don’t upgrade every year or even 3 years.

Au’ Contraire, Alex. I’m an Android user, and I DO care about security. Careful with those wide generalizations, I’ve stepped in that bear trap myself.

My current phone is a Nokia that came out of the (now sadly defunct) Android One project, and was guaranteed security updates for three years after purchase.

So far, they’ve honored this on a monthly basis, with a few exceptions in timliness.

It DOES matter what Android brand phone you buy; caveat emptor, and all that jazz. Just because we don’t have the big bucks to go iPhone does not mean all of us are security ignorant.

That’s too wide of a brush to paint with.

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", 12GB RAM, Group "0Patch", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations. Linux Mint Greenhorn
      --
      "Courage isn’t the absence of fear; it's being scared to death and going on anyway. The man who says he's fearless is a fool, and I won't have him in my command.” —Unknown

Viewing 3 reply threads
    Reply To: Mind the Android GPU Gap

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: