Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Minor question about hiding unwanted patches

Posted on ZemplinTemplar Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Windows 7 patches Minor question about hiding unwanted patches

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  GoneToPlaid 2 months ago.

• Author

ZemplinTemplar
      AskWoody Lounger

One of the updates this month is a vaguely named “Update for Windows 7”, placed in the Important and recommended patches, box ticked and all. Noticing the rumours about …664 resurfacing again, and being prudent in general, I hid that particular update. Now I have one less update on the Important patch overview screen.

My hiding of the patch made me think, though: Does hiding an update also automatically uncheck it ?

The absolute last thing I’d want to do is hide an update, and then accidentally install it along with installing a security update, just because I forgot to untick the box before hiding the patch. IIRC, hiding an update has always helped exclude it, but since I haven’t patched in quite a while, I just want to be sure I’m not misremembering.

So, should I just hide an update without worries ? Or do I need to uncheck it first, then hide it ?

Sorry if this is an overly paranoid question, but after Microsoft’s antics in the last three years at least (Windows 10 forced updates; Windows 7, 8, 10 patches messed up to various degrees), I am being extremely cautious with everything I do in Windows Update.

Thank you for any and all advice. The community on this site is amazing and heartwarming and I’m thankful for all the previous help you’ve provided so far.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  ZemplinTemplar. Reason: more precise tags
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #202869 Reply

PKCano
      AskWoody MVP

It doesn’t matter if you uncheck or not. When you hide an update it is taken out of the important list and does not get installed.

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #205005 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Lounger

And after hiding updates, run check for updates again since new updates might show up after one has hidden one or more updates. Repeat as necessary, until nothing new shows up which you want to hide.

• #202891 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Lounger

One can find out what an update is for by right clicking on the name of the update , which opens two fields on the right side of the screen: one named “hide the update” and “more information” the other. Then, clicking on “more information” will take you to a MS page where there is a description that right at the top explains what the update is for.

As a rule, if it says something like “improving the user’s experience of Windows”, or “preparing the user’s machine for installing Windows 10”, when I go back to the Windows Update window, I hide it.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #203056 Reply

ZemplinTemplar
      AskWoody Lounger

Thank you. I was fairly certain it doesn’t have any impact, but with how rotten the situation has gotten even with installing essential security patches, I’m not taking any chances.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Minor question about hiding unwanted patches

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.