News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Misbehaving Mouse

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Misbehaving Mouse

• This topic has 15 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 12 reply threads
    • Author
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Plus

In my Win 10, my mouse often, of late, will let me point at an item, on the desktop, menu, whatever, and show the highlighting to acknowledge that the mouse is connected.

But many times, when I click it, there is no response.  If I tap, say, my tab key a few times, then most often the mouse will “wake up” and react.

Is this a mouse issue, or something in the Windows 10 settings that I need to address?

Chuck Billow

ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

Chuck – does the mouse have a battery that needs to be replaced?

If that were not the answer, I might next look at the mouse drivers, perhaps an uninstall and reinstall.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

CWBillow
        AskWoody Plus

No SJ, it’s rechargeable.

Chuck Billow

anonymous

Welcome to Linux!

Most probably the driver given the effect keys have on it.  Swap batteries for a bit just to be sure and be sure they make good contact.  Be sure the sensor on the bottom isn’t clogged with something and the on/off switch if there is one, is on.  If there’s a usb transceiver in the case/laptop, remove and insert firmly.

That’s about it, they work pretty well if they’re in good shape machanically and the drivers are ok.

anonymous

Is this a combination wireless keyboard and mouse configuration?

CWBillow
        AskWoody Plus

Joe it’s wireless, rechargeable battery.

Chuck Billow

CWBillow
        AskWoody Plus

And no, Anonymous, the mouse is separate.

Chuck Billow

PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Do the right-button and the scroll wheel both work OK?
        If so, perhaps there is contamination inside associated with the left button.

But this doesn’t explain why tapping the Tab key seems to help.
        Is it only the Tab key taps, or other keys too? Only one tap doesn’t help?

Try vigorously shaking the mouse, slapping it on the desk (not too hard).
        If these help, you’ll probably need to open the case and look carefully.

CWBillow
          AskWoody Plus

@Paul;

It’s actually the Alt-Tab, like cycling through windows that are open.

Chuck Billow

anonymous

I’m not sure what separate means.  Does it have a transceiver in a usb port or does it communicate with one inside the case?  The case being where the CPU, drives, etc are, not the mouse case/shell.

We have both kinds.  The usb part is just something to check if present.

How about the brand and model?

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I have a couple of wireless mice and the buttons always work, so I would suspect your mouse is not well.

cheers, Paul

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody MVP

The fact that the mouse is wireless could mean that there is interference from some other device, such as a microwave oven, wireless router, nearby radio tower, etc. Since the problem started recently, did anything like that get introduced into the environment at about the same time the mouse problem started?

If not, then maybe a Windows update happened at about the same time the problem started, and it is causing an issue with your mouse. Go into Group Policy editor; under the Windows Update thread, there is an option for turning off automatic driver updates. Turn off auto driver updates. Then see if there is a driver you can download and install for your mouse. Then reboot.

If that didn’t fix it, then maybe it’s just a bad mouse. If your computer has Bluetooth, then I recommend that you get a Bluetooth mouse. Not only do you not have to plug in a dongle, but I suspect that you will have less potential issues with a Bluetooth mouse than with a “USB Dongle” mouse.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

If it has a dongle try a different USB port. As MrJimPhelps mentioned check other electronics in the vicinity especially anything moved recently.

I’ve seen some flakey Bluetooth behavior in several Windows builds. If it is Bluetooth try turning Bluetooth off and back on.

--Joe

MrJimPhelps
          AskWoody MVP

I’ve only seen one Bluetooth mouse, and it was for my daughter’s iPad, not for a Windows computer, so I can’t say for sure that Bluetooth will definitely be better in your case. But Bluetooth is a completely different thing than USB/wireless, so if I couldn’t get the USB/wireless to work, and my computer had Bluetooth, then Bluetooth is definitely worth a try.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
          with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Plus

The mouse “connects” via a dongle in a USB port.

Oh, Mr.JimPhelps, don’t say that! How the heck would I ever track THAT down?

I think it is some type of software conflict.  Good luck tracking THAT down!

Oh well guys, I’ll poke around and see if I can happen upon a clue or some such.

Thanks to all.

Chuck Billow

Viewing 12 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Misbehaving Mouse

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.