News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Missing screen resolutions after WIN10 1903 update

Posted on lazy680 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1903 – May 2019 Update Missing screen resolutions after WIN10 1903 update

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Alex5723 1 month ago.

• Author

lazy680
      AskWoody Lounger

I have an older Sony portable PC with a Core2 Duo CPU and Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset (MS WDDM 1.1) (GMA 4500MDH) video. This PC still meets my needs and the screen quality is still better than the vast majority of portable PCs being sold today.

This PC ran properly under WIN10 Home 1809. Windows recognizes the full range of screen resolutions, including 1600×900.

After updating WIN10 to 1903 the video only recognizes screen resolutions of 800×600 or 1024×768.

The strange thing is that when WIN10 boots the blue window logo and the animated circle displays at 1600×900. But as soon as the login screen appears the resolution reverts to 1024×768.

If I look at the Device Manager for the Intel Display Adapter properties I see “Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)”. Notifications reports that “The Display driver failed to start: using the Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead. Check Windows Update for a newer display driver”. I Uninstalled the driver, then Scanned for hardware changes. That, of course, reinstalls the same previous Intel video driver. This seems to resolve the screen resolution issue – until I restart the PC – when the screen reverts to 1024×768. The whole cycle starts over again.

I rolled back the Intel video driver and tried to find a replacement driver. It is not possible to update the driver from the Intel website. “This product is discontinued”. Intel appears to have ended support with Windows 7.

Any suggestions on how to get WIN10 1903 to display the full 1600×900? Thanks

• #1846640 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

I Uninstalled the driver

When uninstalling the driver you get a screen asking you if you want to uninstall the software as well. Click yes. After that run ‘search for new hardware’.

DISset

DM

Attachments:
      • #1846716 Reply

lazy680
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks – but I tried that.

Guess I will wait for some future 1903 update.  Maybe time to retire the PC.

• #1846722 Reply

Microfix
          Da Boss

Maybe time to retire the PC.

Hold that thought.. option: with those PC specs, it’s perfectly capable of running a few choices of 18.04LTS Linux Distro’s available.

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #1846762 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks – but I tried that

If you block Windows from installing drivers Windows won’t override your driver.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by
         Alex5723.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Missing screen resolutions after WIN10 1903 update

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.