News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Missing security updates, says Belarc

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Missing security updates, says Belarc

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        JohnH
        AskWoody Plus

On July 31, I ran a Belarc Advisor check on my Win10Pro 1909 machine, which showed three critical updates missing (see screen grab). Today, taking Woody’s advice that I should go ahead (after backing up!) and release the Kraken, er, July updates — which, mirabile dictu, appeared to go smoothly — I ran another Belarc Advisor check.

This showed that not only had the missing critical updates NOT been installed, they had been joined by two important updates relating to Visual C++ and dating from 2011!

Question: should I now go ahead and attempt to install the five security updates allegedly missing?

Thanks.

Screen-Shot-07-31-20-at-04.48-PM

Screen-Shot-08-04-20-at-03.29-PM

Attachments:
      • #2286122 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I looked at kb4565483 on the microsoft site. It has no fixes for 1909 (your version) but several for 1903. Looks like Belarc is confused – who isn’t.

Leave it to Windows Update to decide what it needs, run and up to date antivirus and backup regularly.

cheers, Paul

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2286168 Reply
          JohnH
          AskWoody Plus

Yes, I can manage that properly. This morning I used Macrium Reflect to image my M.2 before a BIOS upgrade for my Gigabyte YB, and I incrementally image every night — that said, I’m certainly no expert in wrangling the appalling morass of the Microsoft bug-testing and update cycle. Which is why I rely on Woody, Susan and you guys. 🙂

• #2286885 Reply
        anonymous

I too had the same confusing message from a Belarc Inspector scan showing two critical updates for Win 1909, namely KB2538242 and KB2565063 both for Visual C++ 2005. Having looked them up on Windows update catalogue I find they date back to 2017 and some other old version Windows 10. Windows update has offered no recent C++ updates for Win10-1909, so common sense prevaled and I have ignored them both.
        Gordon. (UK)

• #2289060 Reply
        Eyke42
        AskWoody Lounger

I went to close down my laptop and windows give me the shut down and update or restart and update choice. Interesting in that I use wumgr to do my updates, so this should not have been there. I went to settings->update and this update was listed. As noted above it is for 1903 and I have updated my 2 windows machines to 1909. see attached snips for the laptop

I guess it’s only 389 megs and I have extra data left, so let’s see what happens.

As an aside, I just ran an an update of wumgr and this did not appear but kb4565351 did. If I recall correctly, I tried to get that on Friday from work and wumgr kept throwing up 403 errors and did not install. The .NET that showed up did.

Capture-2

Capture1-1

--
        So long and thanks for all the fish --Douglas Adams 1952-2001

Attachments:
        • #2289131 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

That screenshot shows an update for 1909 and an HP update.

I would check what the HP update is before letting it anywhere near my PC – HP is not known for making good software IMO.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Missing security updates, says Belarc

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.