News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Missing SSD

Posted on ibe98765 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Missing SSD

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Lugh 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

ibe98765
      AskWoody Lounger

Woke up this AM to a msg from Acronis telling me could not backup some logical disks (all on a single SSD) overnight.  This SSD contains the OS and four logical disks (C: D: E: F:).

I went back into Acronis and checked.  Yes, still can’t seem to access SSD.

Next went to Computer Management and checked DIsk Management sub-entry.  Confirmed missing SSD.  Ran Intel toolbox (it’s an Intel SSD) and see the same thing.

BUT what is really weird is that the OS is running fine and I can open an Explorer window and see the logical disks on that SSD and open files on the various disks on the SSD!

Haven’t tried a reboot yet as afriad that I might not be able to boot into Win 10.

Now, I made one major hardware change on Saturday evening where I upgraded the BIOS firmware.  Since this is an older mobo (ASRock Extreme 6), the last BIOS update was 2015 and I saw that there was an update from 2016, about 1 year later, so decided to put that in.  Did not have any problems running anything on Sunday and no error msgs came up the whole day.

So any ideas on next steps?

• #767594 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Immediately back up your data onto an external drive. You can just copy the data instead of using the backup software. If you have data on other than the C: partition, back it up too. You cannot replace your data if it is lost.

Now, you can try different solutions.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #769322 Reply

ibe98765
        AskWoody Lounger

Can’t backup data because Acronis cannot see the SSD.  Last backup was Saturday evening, so that will have to do.  Think I will try a reboot.  It doesn’t make sense that the SSD can be seen by the running OS but not Acronis or Windows Computer Management app.

• #772115 Reply

ibe98765
      AskWoody Lounger

OK, problem solved for now.

Shut machine down.  Then started up and went into BIOS.  Checked that BIOS showed Intel SSD, which it did.   Rebooted and the SSD can be seen now.

Everything seems to be running fine now, although one of my programs lost all its customized options, which I had to manually reset.

Did a diagnostic scan on the SSD and results were clear.

Will have to keep an eye on this and see if it reoccurs.

• #794749 Reply

RDRguy
      AskWoody Lounger

It could have been that by updating your BIOS (I’m assuming that you did this by running a “.exe” file from within Windows), the SATA interface type either in your BIOS and/or Windows was somehow temporarily set to “Legacy” or “Compatible ATA” (or similar) from “AHCI” while still running in the Windows OS.

Upon reboot, your “new” BIOS SATA Type setting within Windows reverted back to the AHCI type which is normally what it should be to take full advantage of modern SSD features & interface.

Also note: for the SSD (or any SATA hard drive) to be recognized by the OS, the BIOS SATA Type setting needs to be whatever it was originally when Windows was first installed otherwise it may/should fail to boot.

Now would be a good time to note what the BIOS SATA Type setting is in case all of a sudden Windows won’t boot due to the infamous “no operating system found” boot failure – this is one of the things you can check for if this failure happens and if so, can easily be remedied by setting the SATA Type setting back to whatever its state was the last time your system booted successfully.

Win8.1 Group B (Pro) [x64]
      Win7 Group B (Ultimate & Pro) [x64 & x86]
      MSOffice Pro Plus 2010 SP2 (x86 Perpetual)
      MSOffice Pro Plus 2013 SP1 (x64 Perpetual)
      RDRguy

• #812523 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

An alternative is of course to repair the Windows installation to use the correct drivers. You’ll need a suitable Windows boot media (install / suitable repair), and then the drivers in correct unpacked format (“driver disk”).

This may also be needed when rebuilding a system with replacement parts. (Hardware upgrades included.)

Also note: for the SSD (or any SATA hard drive) to be recognized by the OS, the BIOS SATA Type setting needs to be whatever it was originally when Windows was first installed otherwise it may/should fail to boot.

… not limited to just SATA drives. Also more fun with that if you use add-on disk interface adapters… or hardware RAID.

There’s a way to supposedly make Windows reset the driver selection as long as you have all of the correct drivers installed. It involves registry modifications, is in effect for the next reboot only, and may not always work. And obivously only applicable if you know in advance…

• #817534 Reply

ibe98765
        AskWoody Lounger

No, I did the BIOS update from inside the BIOS itself.  My mobo has that capability and also maintains a backup BIOS in case I needed to revert.

I did not change anything in terms of SATA settings, etc.

I suspect that my mistake, if there was one, was not powering off the system after applying the BIOS update.  I did that after the problem occurred and wonder if that was the problem.

There is also an outside chance that the problem, if it occurs again, might have something to do with the machine going into deep sleep.  Will see what happens overnight.

• #816511 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

As an aside, why do you have multiple partitions on the SSD? Makes no performance difference.

cheers, Paul

• #817699 Reply

ibe98765
        AskWoody Lounger

“As an aside, why do you have multiple partitions on the SSD? Makes no performance difference.”
        ———–
        Because it helps me keep things organized in a way that has worked for me over the last 25 years or so.

btw: is there a way to quote a post (or part of it) in this new forum other than manual cut and paste?

• #827447 Reply

mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

“As an aside, why do you have multiple partitions on the SSD? Makes no performance difference.”
          ———–
          Because it helps me keep things organized in a way that has worked for me over the last 25 years or so.

Also this is the easiest way to have a proper shared area of the disk if you’re on a Home edition of Windows (with its “simplified”, as in crippled, access control settings) with multiple users. Say, family computer, children get each their own login so they don’t mess with each other’s desktop settings… BTDT.

• #826547 Reply

access-mdb
      AskWoody MVP

“As an aside, why do you have multiple partitions on the SSD? Makes no performance difference.” ———– Because it helps me keep things organized in a way that has worked for me over the last 25 years or so. btw: is there a way to quote a post (or part of it) in this new forum other than manual cut and paste?

You just need to click on Quote at the bottom of the post in question. Be careful not to change the text in the square brackets should you wish to modify what you’re quoting.

• #845675 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Highlight the bit you want to quote – saves having the whole post quoted – then click on the Quote button. (I think you can do this multiple times in one post)

cheers, Paul

• #868494 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

(I think you can do this multiple times in one post)

You can indeed—the quote function here is actually better than the good quote system in WSL.

Eg you can quote a bit of a post & type reply, like I’m doing now, and then decide ‘Oh I should include a bit of another post’, like I’m about to do…

You just need to click on Quote at the bottom of the post

…I just highlighted that bit of AccessMDB’s post and clicked the quote button under his post, et voila!

You can of course do the same for picking out different bits of one post…

Highlight the bit you want to quote – saves having the whole post quoted

…even after quoting another person in between. Just highlight the bit and press quote.

You can also pick out a number of bits you want to comment on before you start typing—quote first bit, return & quote second bit, etc.

Excellent system.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

2 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Missing SSD

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel