News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Modern comments: Word

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        100andthirty
        AskWoody Plus

I have the Microsoft 365 with with 6 licences. I use Office on three different computers using one licence. Word is version 2106. One computer uses “Modern Comments” (where an accept button must be pressed to post the comment – aimed at people collaborating on the same document) and the others don’t. How can I get them all my installations to behave the same? It’s not a big issue in the scheme of things but I’d like to sort it out. Thanks and be gentle with me, it’s my first post.

b
        AskWoody MVP

Are all three updated to the same Version/Build number at File, Account, About Word?

E.G. Version 2107 (Build 14228.20154)

There doesn’t seem to be any method to turn Modern Comments off, despite the less than rapturous reception since the introduction three months ago (judging by many comments):
        Introducing Modern Comments in Microsoft Word

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1151 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

1 user thanked author for this post.
          100andthirty
          AskWoody Plus

Hi. Yes both are the same Version 2106 Build 1431.20332. I’ve checked that other computer too and that is also running the same version. The net result is that all three computers are running the same version and build. Two of them have what I might call “traditional” comments and one has modern comments.

I too have read that you can’t turn modern comments off, but it seems odd that only one computer has this feature.

Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

There doesn’t seem to be any method to turn Modern Comments off, despite the less than rapturous reception since the introduction three months ago (judging by many comments): Introducing Modern Comments in Microsoft Word

I am very glad that I chanced upon this thread. The sudden, unrequested changes to the commenting function that make it harder to use have led me to suspend Office updates for the foreseeable future.

This is why I prefer the “software as a PRODUCT” concept over “software as a service”: I know what I am getting and I know that that won’t change materially over the lifetime of its use. It’s stable. I can deal with new or changed features the next time I’m in the market for the PRODUCT.

100andthirty
        AskWoody Plus

Further update. I uninstalled Office 365 on the computer with the modern comments enabled, and then downloaded and reinstalled it from my O365 login page. No difference! I might next try this same action on the other two computers.

anonymous

I’m in the middle of writing a book, and Microsoft decides to use me as a guinea pig again – this time it’s the “modern comments”. It’s immoral. Why are they so desperate? They are already wealthy people, so they have the opportunity to treat people decently.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Modern comments: Word

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.