News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Monthly Quality Rollup are they needed?

Posted on SamsonPI Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Monthly Quality Rollup are they needed?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Alex5723 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

SamsonPI
      AskWoody Lounger

I haven’t put a Monthly Quality Rollup on my computer for aleast 2 years and I don’t see why they have to be so big if all they’re doing is updating the security side of windows, in the past they were all under 80MB now they are way over 200MB, what else are Microsoft sticking on your computer?.

A friend of mine tried one once and all it did was stuff his computer and he had to go and install windows again, I would put the update on if I could see what was is in it first, but they don’t give you that option. Is windows really that bad that they have to put an update that is over 200MB on your computer every month or is it there way of saying upgrade to windows 10 and not worry about it.

• #1949426 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Quality Rollup is a cumulative update so it’s expected to grow with time / releases.

Not patching for 2 years is asking for trouble IMO.
      I’s make a backup to an external USB disk using one of the free backup utilities, then consider applying updates prior to September.

cheers, Paul

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1949461 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Plus

It’s probably best to have someone here walk you through the two-year-gone update process. Inconsistent patching can generate system errors and some patches must be applied before other patches can be installed.

Group G{ot backup} TestBeta
      Win7Pro · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · RAM 8GB · Firefox: uBlock Origin - NoScript · HDD · Canon Printer · Microsoft Security Essentials · Windows: Backup - System Image - Rescue Disk - Firewall
    • #1949471 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

@pkcano patiently assisted in updating a Win7 x64 installation from January 2018 in This Thread . Surely updating via WU to January 2018 then following the trail within the link provided would get you up to date. (on the assumption that you have a x64bit Win7 OS..it’s all in the missing details)

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1949612 Reply

SamsonPI
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi all, My operating system is a 64 bit Window Seven Pro.

It sounds bad the way your saying it to me about not having any of these updates on my PC, my computer is working fine. I am worried now if I install these updates they do more harm then good and what good would that be, but still the question about the size is there, why are they over 200MB and why can’t Microsoft show what’s inside the update, if I could see what it updates it might be worth it, but that will only depend on what they are sticking in there.

I don’t have a alot of faith in Microsoft after they were trying to ram windows 10 down my throat by sticking malware on my computer to force it to upgrade, but on the same note I won’t be going anytime soon to Apple for that matter.

If by any chance you can let me know what’s inside the update I might give a go.

Thanks.

• #1949619 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

If by any chance you can let me know what’s inside the update I might give a go.

Microsoft are the only ones who know and we have to trust them to a certain extent.

You can turn off telemetry by following this thread.
      https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/2000012-neutralize-telemetry-sustain-win-7-8-1-monthly-rollup-model/

cheers, Paul

• #1949773 Reply

anonymous

Samson, the quoted size of the update seems to be a recurring question in your topic so I’ll try to give a different view. It is remarked in several ways that this is a cumulativeupdate. That is to say it has accumulated the monthly rollups for several years now, all together in a single KBnumbered update.

In other words, the quoted size is the arithmetical total of all the discreet parts of monthly updates back to October 2016. It is the maximum size that might be delivered. This does not mean that full quoted number needs to be delivered each month. For me, on a single device, in a small domestic or home network (not a workplace), that gets updated every month, the August 2019 update completed with less than 60MB of traffic across my ISP connection, in both directions. There was no special effort done on my part. Windows update provided only those parts that the Windows Update system deemed necessary to bring the device up to date.

A similar process occurs with the .NET rollup. Only the updates for versions in use are delivered. If you have all versions installed, you will receive the full quoted download size.

By choosing to quote the maximum size up front, individual users may experience relief at less traffic; where the other way around might create surprise and possibly anger.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      b
    • #1949789 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

My partner has a 7 years old Lenovo Windows 7 SP1 laptop which is group W, with blocked updates for 4 years (since Microsoft pushed Windows 10 on that laptop which I immediately roll-back, at her’s request, to W7.).
      This W7 is in used all day long for work. Never a blue screen, never a crash, never an unresponding application… The W7 will continue this way until it dies.
      Last year she bought a new Lenovo Windows 10 to replace her’s W7 but after running the first setup she closed it and put it in a drawer not to be used.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Monthly Quality Rollup are they needed?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.