News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • More Catalina Issues/Changes Reported

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS More Catalina Issues/Changes Reported

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mn– 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Tim Wilson (an AskWoody Mac forums reader) messaged me concerning the ultra-slow download of macOS Catalina. It seems Apple’s update servers cannot handle the upgrade downloads to macOS Catalina, so for those who upgrade, it may take a few tries to get the download to take. Another good reason to hold off upgrading to Catalina a little longer.

Apple has also changed the Time Machine backup extension from sparsebundle to backupbundle in Catalina. Just be aware of this when upgrading to Catalina. It seems changing the extension can work if someone needs to mount the bundle on a non-Catalina Mac, but it is something to be aware of.

In terms of upgrading my own Apple devices, here’s where I’m at:

• I can’t upgrade to Catalina until two WINE Windows-based apps are moved to a 64 Bit version of WINE. I’m waiting for the developers to take care of this. The rest of my apps should be 64 Bit (Google Earth Pro shows 64 Bit, but occasionally I get error messages when loading certain components of it, so I wonder if it needs minor optimizations for 64 Bit). In the meantime, I’m installing all app updates to ensure my apps are compatible with Catalina.
      • I’m tweaking a few additional settings to my iPad Pro after the restore from the embedded Apple SIM issue. I’m holing off upgrading it to iPadOS 13 until those tweaks are made so I know the iPad is fully back in business before I go and install any major upgrades.
      • I may upgrade my Apple TV to tvOS13 first since I want to take a trial of Apple TV+ and watch Snoopy in Space. I may go ahead with the upgrade before November 1 so I’m ready to take the trial.
      • Shortly after upgrading my Apple TV, I may gradually upgrade my iPhone, then Apple Watch, then iPad Pro to iOS 13, watchOS 6, and iPadOS 13. Some syncing (such as reminders) may break along the way until all devices are upgraded, but I could live with it, and give me a chance to gradually test each upgrade and ensure everything is functionally as it should.
      • Hopefully before the end of the year, I can upgrade my iMac Pro to macOS Catalina and have those final apps upgraded to 64 Bit before the upgrade. My old iMac is stuck on High Sierra, but I only use it for a few backup tasks. I could also use it to run remaining 32 Bit apps if I need to jump to macOS Catalina before the remaining apps are upgraded.

One more interesting article I read this week was on how Apple has made it clear how to wear the Apple Watch to ensure the best accuracy with its health sensors. I’ve been doing it correctly, but it’s at least good to know.

Nathan Parker

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1984905 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

See #1984900 – I bit the bullet and upgraded my old iMac today.

• #1984918 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

This  move to only 64-bit applications makes me wonder: is it possible to install and run an older version of macOS that can run older 32-bit applications on a virtual machine along with the current “bare metal” version installed there (mine is Mojave)? By “possible” I mean “get it from somewhere, as well as install and run it on the VM”.

If that were ‘possible’ in the sense just explained, then that could also be a way of running older application software that is 32-bit in a Mac with an OS that is no longer compatible with them, such as Catalina and, most likely, all the versions of macOS that will follow it.

Also, according to one of the articles Nathan has given the URL links to, if I understand it correctly, one can use Time Machine not only to back up files, but also to return the whole operating system to an early version. (e.g., from Catalina back to Mojave).  Is that even possible? Not that I am planning or need to do that, but it is intriguing.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W(?) + Mac&Lx

• #1984942 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

is it possible to install and run an older version of macOS that can run older 32-bit applications on a virtual machine along with the current “bare metal” version installed there (mine is Mojave)?

If you were to install Parallels, then create a VM of Mojave before upgrading to Catalina, that should work to allow you to run 32 Bit apps in Mojave on the VM, while using Catalina for the main OS.

I hope the two WINE Windows apps I use go 64 Bit WINE soon. I use them so regularly, I really need them to be 64 Bit on the WINE/Mac side before I upgrade if possible so I don’t have to dip into workarounds.

Nathan Parker

• #1984996 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Nathan, I am still wondering about Time Machine to go back from a current to an older OS, let’s say, Catalina to Mojave.

But I have a really important question (to me) about WINE:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/

Because of what it says there, one can run Windows applications on Macs. In other words, Windows executable code  can be run on Macs using WINE. So, if I have a Windows executable from a program I have written and compiled under Windows, will it run under Mojave in the Mac?

At first blush, it seems impossible, because even with the same language compiler installed on the Mac, there will be no Windows dynamic link libraries, or dlls,  that have code to be hooked in run time to the executable, unless one, somehow, manages to import them to the Mac and then WINE does the hooking. Does WINE do that?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W(?) + Mac&Lx

• #1985038 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

So, if I have a Windows executable from a program I have written and compiled under Windows, will it run under Mojave in the Mac?

You can try it to see if it’d work. I think WINE bottles certain elements to make Windows apps run. You can check into WINE Bottler to see if it’d help.

There’s also a pro version called CrossOver that offers a little more power.

For the apps I use, the developers pre-package the Windows apps with WINE with installers for Mac, so that’s how I run those two apps on my Mac. They run well enough where I don’t need the full overhead of a Windows VM. Only thing I use a Windows VM is to remote into my work machine to run our broadcast weather software.

Nathan Parker

• #1985104 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks, Nathan. I will look into Wine because there are some third party Windows applications I would like to use in the Mac, if possible (at least with Mojave, as some must be 32-bit). As to my own software, I was hoping to have an alternative with Wine, but if that does not work, I can always import the source code I wrote for Windows into the Mac, change the system calls, where necessary, and compile them there, to get true Mac executables. Just  some extra work, maybe, but not a very big deal anyway. The scripts I will have to rewrite some of them, but that is not hard to do (at least with my scripts.)

• #1990921 Reply

mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

Yeah, apparently a local organization that uses Macs has a problem where a group of regular users were at some point given the ability to install updates, and then several of them tried to install the Catalina update. Without checking application compatibility.

Oh well. Fortunately I’m not doing support for them.

At first blush, it seems impossible, because even with the same language compiler installed on the Mac, there will be no Windows dynamic link libraries, or dlls, that have code to be hooked in run time to the executable, unless one, somehow, manages to import them to the Mac and then WINE does the hooking. Does WINE do that?

… yes, that’s pretty much exactly what Wine does – hooks into Windows calls and translates them to something more suitable for the system.

If you look inside a Wine installation… there’s a directory structure it uses to make a lookalike Windows installation, and inside… well, among other things, plenty of smallish .dll files that implement the call translation…

The problem with Catalina here is that it drops the entire framework for running a process in a 32-bit address space, so just library hooks aren’t going to be sufficient. And many non-UWP applications for Windows have at least small parts that are 32-bit processes still.

Also some of the processor registers have conflicting uses between Win64 and Mac64, which is a huge bother to work around.

According to https://www.codeweavers.com/about/blogs/jschmid/2019/9/10/so-we-dont-have-a-solution-for-catalinayet , CrossOver will probably be able to run 32-bit Windows applications on Catalina at some point but even they aren’t promising 64 bit… and it’ll take time before those parts trickle down to regular Wine, if ever.

I can always import the source code I wrote for Windows into the Mac, change the system calls, where necessary, and compile them there, to get true Mac executables. Just some extra work, maybe, but not a very big deal anyway. The scripts I will have to rewrite some of them, but that is not hard to do (at least with my scripts.)

Have you done porting between different operating systems before? That’s one thing where people tend to run into surprises. (Like how Win64 is LLP64 while Mac64 is LP64 … well that may not matter if you’re using a higher level language.)

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  mn--.
    • #1990675 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Limited reports of Catalina installation bricking some Macs via EFI firmware

Limited reports of Catalina installation bricking some Macs via EFI firmware

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: More Catalina Issues/Changes Reported

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.