News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • More Details on Old macOS Installers and Expired Certificates

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS More Details on Old macOS Installers and Expired Certificates

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Nathan Parker 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

OscarCP wanted me to post a separate message with additional details on Alex5723’s post on old macOS installers, as well as comment on OscarCP’s comments on expired certificates.

In Alex5723’s post, he mentioned AppleInsider’s article on older macOS installers.

In the AppleInsider article, they mention that those who need to download previous versions of macOS prior to Catalina can still download Mojave and High Sierra from specific Mac App Store links. They also mention you can get installers for macOS, OS X, and Mac OS X versions all the way back to Tiger using the Apple Downloads Page.

AppleInsider has made one inaccuracy concerning the download links on Apple Downloads Page. These do not contain the full install images for previous versions of macOS, OS X, or Mac OS X. These actually include operating system and software updates. The majority of these updates need valid copies of the operating system or software installed before these installers will run. However, I have used the Apple Downloads Page recently to successfully update iWork 09 and QuickTime 7 on a 2006 PowerBook G4 running Mac OS X Leopard since I needed to update those to their “latest” versions.

A few links that were beneficial in the AppleInsider article were the direct links to full OS X and macOS installers for Yosemite through Sierra. Here are the direct download links for those who need them:

OS X Yosemite (10.10)

OS X El Capitan (10.11)

macOS Sierra (10.12)

OscarCP also mentioned two articles from AppleInsider concerning expired certificates, one on old macOS install images, and one on third-party apps.

On the issue with old macOS install images, it sounds like one can download fresh copies of installers or updates from Apple, and they will include the refreshed certificates. However, since some older versions of Mac OS X require DVD installers, I wonder how these would work (and if Apple even used certificates when running installs from DVDs). I have an old copy of Mac OS X Leopard on an install DVD. I may try to launch it on my 2006 PowerBook G4 and see what happens.

In terms of the certificate issue on third-party apps, I don’t remember experiencing the issue personally. It could have been I didn’t have any affected apps from it, or I might have been using a dreaded Windows PC during 2017 during my brief stint out of the Apple orchard. It seems downloading fresh copies of the apps and doing in-place installs resolved the issue, although I hope that both Apple and developers are in communication with each other in terms of clarity moving forward to ensure issues like this one doesn’t occur again.

Nathan Parker

3 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: More Details on Old macOS Installers and Expired Certificates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.