News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Moving a font family from user to system-wide

Posted on berniec Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Moving a font family from user to system-wide

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

I’ve been fighting a problem with “missing” fonts.   What I discovered after much dinking around is that there are user-local fonts and system-wide fonts and I’m using a program that can only find system-wide fonts.   Is there a safe way to “convert” the fonts to be system wide?

I’ve located all  the TTF files for the user-fonts.  It is as easy as uninstalling the fonts as they are now and then reinstalling them [presuming they’ll go into c:\windows\fonts, like all the other system-wide fonts]?

What are the .fon files in c:\windows\fonts.  I’m guessing that they’re the “container” for the fonts within a font family.  for the user-only fonts each variant in the family is handled with a separate registry key pointing to the TTF.  Will that get sorted out automatically when I re”install” the affected fonts?

• #2087810 Reply
        anonymous

You should be able to install other other fonts in to the Windows font folder. Whether it is legally okay for use elsewhere you can usually view a license in the File Properties dialog in the Details tab.

Some older software application I had used many years ago had a directory of local fonts for its own use and expected all files would be present, in addition it would also use system wide fonts. (Some modern internet browsers like Waterfox have their own emoji font and load it for displaying those pictograms.) Putting the local fonts in to the system wide the Windows fonts may lead to menu item duplication or best case is that there are no issues. So try one to see the results before installing all of the rest.

.fon files are bitmap fonts files like Terminal, or Small Fonts, these are probably still used somewhere in the Windows 10 system; Some very old working legacy programs (Visual Basic 6) expect them to still be available, do not delete them from the Windows Font folder.

• #2087870 Reply
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

All fixed!!  It was simpler than I thought.  I didn’t bother uninstalling the “user-only” fonts.  I took the cowardly/easy way out: I just took .TTF files and “install for all users” and >presto< it was all perfect.  I don’t know or care if the user-only versions are still there.

It was surprisingly hard to figure out what proved to be trivial.  First, trips through the registry whereby I located the fonts that couldn’t be found.  Then I realized that since it was in c:\users..  they were likely user-only installed.  Then I found the directory with the fonts.  I double clicked on the .TTF files to figure out which was which.  And then after all that it took exactly four right-click installs to make my problem go away.  Whew!

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Moving a font family from user to system-wide

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.