News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Moving Contacts from Vista to W10 machine

Posted on WSmmi16 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Moving Contacts from Vista to W10 machine

Topic Resolution: Resolved

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by

WSmmi16 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

WSmmi16
      AskWoody Lounger

I have my primary e-mail accounts on my Vista machine using POP3 on Outlook.  How can I move my contacts from the Vista Machine to my combined Gmail & Yahoo accounts on the W10 e-mail system.

• #1496158 Trash | Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

What program are you using on the Windows 10 system? Outlook? Windows Mail?

--Joe

• #1508605 Trash | Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

Also, most E-Mail Clients [installed programs] have an Export, including the Contacts Folder in C:\Users\USERNAME, that can save the contacts as a .csv file that can be used for the Import in other things and even as a Spreadsheet file.  Online apps such as Gmail, Yahoo mail, Hotmail.com and Outlook.com [not the same as Outlook] that can do the same.  As I recall Outlook also has an Export as V-card but I never used as not all other clients can use it.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"

• #1516554 Trash | Reply

WSmmi16
      AskWoody Lounger

I have exported the Outlook Contacts that are on the Vista machine and that file exists on the W10 machine.  I am using Windows Mail on the W10 machine and can’t find anything to ‘import’ the Excel file that contains the Vista contacts.

• #1523333 Trash | Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

I’d try the Import into C:\Users\USERNAME\Contacts to first see if the .csv file is viable and secondly see if Mail can either use directly or Import into itself.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"

Attachments:
    • #1541875 Trash | Reply

WSmmi16
      AskWoody Lounger

Placed  the Vista exported contacts CSV file into the USER.Contacts folder.  Mail does not pick it up and I don’t find any options in Mail to import anything.

• #1549868 Trash | Reply

PaulK
      AskWoody Lounger

One hit from a (Google) Search for [ windows mail import contacts ] is here. There are other items too that may be helpful.

• #1556239 Trash | Reply

WSmmi16
      AskWoody Lounger

I guess the real question is – Where does Mail store it’s contact information.  My Mail contacts do show several entries, however, I have no idea where Mail is storing them.

• #1558012 Trash | Reply

PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Many questions can be researched by doing an internet Search.
        Try [ windows 10 mail contacts location ], and read the hits of interest.
        One hit supplies this:
        – C:/Users/{USERNAME}/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows Live/Contacts/
        I can’t check this because I am Windows 7, and don’t use Live Mail.

You might try navigating to your AppData folder, and doing a Search for ‘Contacts’.

• #1584174 Trash | Reply

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

The Mail app gets its contact list from the People app. Open that and try the import. Not sure though if Excel is an accepted file format, it may need .csv

• #1584243 Trash | Reply

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

Now that I think about it, converting an Excel file to .csv file should be as simple as doing a Save As and selecting .csv as the file format.

• #1589733 Trash | Reply

WSmmi16
      AskWoody Lounger

Success – in going through Outlook.com I found a ‘application’ to Import Contacts from a CSV file – I followed the ‘application’ and the addresses got imported and are available to me in the Mail application.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Moving Contacts from Vista to W10 machine

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.