News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Moving from 8.1 to 10 what version?

Posted on - Reassigned account Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 Questions: Win 8.1 (and Win 8) Moving from 8.1 to 10 what version?

Topic Resolution: Resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

– Reassigned account 12 months ago.

• Author

– Reassigned account
      AskWoody Lounger

I’ve avoided moving to Windows 10, any version, as we had critical development to get done.  I’m now at a ‘slow’ point and have the opportunity to take the two computers we work with from 8.1 to an Enterprise Windows 10 – or ( I’m in an authorized ‘rogue’ group) should I bite the bullet and go for 1803?  Help?  Insight?

And yes, I’ve got backups (lots and daily) of all our work and files.

Paul –

• #204481 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

You not only need a backup of your work and files, if you’re contemplating an upgrade to Win10, you also need a CURRENT system image. Reasons: Win10 may not like your computer, (even if you do) and refuse to be updated because of some conflict. If you have any special software, it may not be compatible with Win10. You may not like Win10 and decide to go back to Win8.1. You may have problems that take longer than you have to be without the computer. Etc, etc. The system image will put your system back in operating order without having to start a from-scratch installation and reinstall all the programs. SO data backup AND system image before you start.

Now, about Win10 v1803 – it still has a myriad of problems, and the people running it now are really Beta Testers for MS, even it’s been released as fit for business. If you really want to upgrade, I personally would recommend waiting for several more months till they iron out the problems. Or, look for someone with an ISO of an earlier version, maybe 1709, which has been getting more stable lately.

But Win8.1 has until 2023 for EOL. And it has been the most stable version (of ALL the versions) of Windows. My personal choice would to be to stay with Win8.1 at least through next year. Win10 is moving/changing so fast there is no telling where it’s going or where it will be in a couple of years.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #204701 Reply

– Reassigned account
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for the insight.  I’ve talked to some of the in-house IT folks and we’re all in agreement with this advice.  We are keeping the two machines on 8.1 for the long term.  Everything else – and any new stuff – will be on 10.  We’ve worked with this set-up for some time now and have not had any issues so, good advice – don’t change anything!

Paul –

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Moving from 8.1 to 10 what version?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.