News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Moving; internet will be much slower

Posted on areader Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Moving; internet will be much slower

• This topic has 16 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        areader
        AskWoody Plus

The house I’m moving to is in a neighborhood that doesn’t have fiber optic. I’ve researched other options and have decided to stick with CenturyLink (the local phone company) even though they don’t know when they’ll update the neighborhood. The new speed will be 6 Mps and my fiber optic modem / router is backwards compatible to DSL. I use Win10 on my desktop and laptop and Win10 Pro on my tablet. I don’t do streaming, but I do download large instructional videos (30+ minutes) to watch later. Anything I need to know and/or do?

TIA

• #2277416 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

That’s not a particularly fast download speed but it’s more than enough to download large things in a reasonable time – a 100MB file will take about 3 minutes. Often the limiting factor is the site hosting the files, not your link speed.

I wouldn’t be worried.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2277418 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

The new speed will be 6 Mps

I thought that the minimum Internet speed in the world is ~40Mbp.
        6Mbp isn’t enough for streaming of movies, TV shows or downloading big (GB) files.
        Is CenturyLink the only ISP in your area ?

• #2277440 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

There are plenty of places where that’s a good speed, usually less well populated areas of countries with otherwise good infrastructure and, of course, developing countries.

cheers, Paul

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2277561 Reply
          areader
          AskWoody Plus

I live in the USA and there are small rural communities that have no internet because no company wants to spend the millions (large millions!) of dollars to lay cable or string wire to a community of a few hundred people. I’m inside the city limits of the capital and will be moving elsewhere inside the city limits. My small neighborhood only got Fiber Optic early last year and there are still a lot of small neighborhoods that only have slow DSL because it takes time for the phone company to upgrade everything. Downtown got fiberoptic a few months later than my current area so I have no idea how they decide what to upgrade when.

• #2277510 Reply
        Sueska
        AskWoody Plus

To prevent your device from falling asleep during a large download with a slow internet speed, may want to consider adjusting sleep settings in power management. For example, having a slow speed myself, I adjust my power settings when I download the next windows 10 iso.

• #2277557 Reply
          areader
          AskWoody Plus

Thank you for this tip. I definitely will do this–if you tell me where to look and what to change. I was really good at tweaking Windows 3.0  through Windows 95, but now things change so fast I can’t keep up.

• #2277558 Reply
            PKCano
            Da Boss

Control Panel\Power Options\Choose when to turn off the display

Screen-Shot-2020-07-03-at-3.38.40-PM

Attachments:
            • #2277591 Reply
              areader
              AskWoody Plus

I set turn off the display to 30 minutes and put the computer to sleep to never when I set this computer up. I don’t leave the computer in the middle of a download. If that’s all it takes, thank you!!

• #2277563 Reply
        anonymous

I would kill for 4Mb/s let alone 40….

I am currently achieving 1.8Mb/s download and I am just over a a mile from an exchange in southern England.  I always plan to download large files and update Windows overnight.

• #2277570 Reply
        anonymous

@areader

Since you live in the US, why stick with the phone company? Although CenturyLink is the local phone provider, there is more than likely a cable company that will be able to offer much faster service than the phone company.

Your new location must be quite far from the central office switch for your physical location for CenturyLink to only offer you 6Mbps,which illustrates the biggest shortcoming of DSL…the farther you are from the actual switch for your premises, the slower the guaranteed data rate you will have.

The biggest downfall for cable television companies giving you internet is that, although there’s no distance limitation like there is with DSL, if everyone in your neighborhood is using a lot of bandwidth at the same time, you will have quite slow speeds, and this can be unpredictable sometimes.

However, I’ve had cable-based internet since 2000 in various areas of the US, both rural and urban, and I’ve only experienced this phenomenon once, with a cable company that oversold their capacity in the early stages of their roll-out in an urban area. As soon as that company upgraded their infrastructure, the problem went away.

In summary, explore your options for internet service via your local cable provider. Many cable providers have plans that start with speeds around 20 or 30 Mbps (and don’t co$t an arm and a leg either), which is more than triple your current limitation with your phone company.

• #2277589 Reply
          Ascaris
          AskWoody_MVP

There probably is no cable service where the OP posted.  Lots of places like that in the US! I am luckier than some, as I have 40 Mbit/s VDSL (I know Mb means megabit, but a lot of people confuse ‘b’its with ‘B’ytes, so I spell it out) down and 2 up.  That’s the fastest you can get here, and it has not been that long since 12 down/1 up was the speed limit.

No cable, fiber optic, etc. here.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.19.4).

• #2277597 Reply
          areader
          AskWoody Plus

I am sticking with the phone company because I can hear and understand their people when I call to ask questions. The other options here outsource their help lines out of the country and the connection is terrible, with static interfering and the person cutting out completely if they move away from the microphone. Nor can they understand me half the time. CenturyLink phone calls are crystal clear. The other companies’ plans are cheaper to start with but who knows how expensive they’ll be in a year? My current CenturyLink plan is $49.00 a month for life, and that carries over when I move in about 2 weeks. But the biggest plus is that I know the repairman for this part of town personally. He was just another installer when he did my Fiber Optic set up, but now we exchange science fiction books regularly (our reading tastes only overlap a bit so we’re both being exposed to authors we would never pick up on our own) and I know a bit about his family and he knows that my health is why I’m moving.

Neither neighborhood is far from the central office. As I learned about 4 years ago, the problem is this part of the city is old enough that many of the circuits in the phone lines are out of commission and the phone company doesn’t have the ability to repair them without replacing the cable for the entire street (like they did 4 years ago when I lost all phone connectivity and there were no circuits left to switch me to) and they can’t replace all the lines in the city at once.

I have had cable internet (in 2 cities in 2 different states) and I do not want cable again if there’s any possible option. And as I said, if I can’t understand them and they can’t understand me because the phone connection is so horrible, then I don’t want to have anything to do with them anyway. If cable is working for you, that’s great, but not for me.

• #2277579 Reply
        Bill C.
        AskWoody Plus

I live in the USA and there are small rural communities that have no internet because no company wants to spend the millions (large millions!) of dollars to lay cable or string wire to a community of a few hundred people. I’m inside the city limits of the capital and will be moving elsewhere inside the city limits. My small neighborhood only got Fiber Optic early last year and there are still a lot of small neighborhoods that only have slow DSL because it takes time for the phone company to upgrade everything. Downtown got fiberoptic a few months later than my current area so I have no idea how they decide what to upgrade when.

Since Win10 day one, that has been one of my beefs with Microsoft’s Win10 2X per year upgrade policies (and the subsequent WIndows 7 cumulative patching strategy). I have former colleagues who live 60 miles from Washington, DC, and cannot install their Win10 semi-annual updates from home. They have to pack up the laptops and hunker down in a McDonalds (or other place) with WiFi, due to speed and/or download limit issues. For their desktops they are still on Win7 or have gone to Macs.

In the US if you are not in a larger Metro area, you may be left behind. Internet access is one of our house hunting list items along with sewer vs. septic, and piped water vs. well. On my street, the larger houses down the next block received Verizon FIOS 2 years before the older houses on our end of the road (allegedly technical issues).

The US national broadband definitions and policy are a mess if you are in rural or less populous states, a situation that is now more exposed due to the pandemic and school remote learning challenges.

• #2277580 Reply
        Bundaburra
        AskWoody Plus

Suggesting two other things:  (1) Get a speed monitor, so you can see what your actual download and upload speeds are for various sites and downloads.  I use NetSpeedMonitor, but there are others similar.  Watch the speeds for a while, until you get the highest consistent download speed,  (2) Once you know what your highest consistent download speed is, install and run TCP Optimizer.  Tell it your best download speed, and then let it work out the various optimal settings for that speed.  Also check out the MTU/Latency tag, to ensure that your MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) is set correctly.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2004

• #2277599 Reply
          areader
          AskWoody Plus

Is this for me, the original poster? If so, sorry to say but you’re talking way over my head. Once I got past the speed monitor part, the rest was gibberish. Tell me explicitly, step by step, what to do, and I should be able to follow your instructions even if I don’t know what I’m doing or why.

• #2277588 Reply
        alphacharlie
        AskWoody Plus

(Sound of ironic laughing)  Greetings from rural Texas.     We get 1.4 megabits up & down via radio which is at the top of a 50-foot tall mast.  Of course we are not streaming any movies.  We  consider ourselves lucky to have email, and occasionally zoom or facetime.  No one expects our neighborhood to be upgraded in my lifetime.

• #2277600 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

And I thought US spearheading world’s technologies and that’s the reason US can boycott Chinese telecommunication companies.

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Moving; internet will be much slower

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.