News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Moving mail from subfolders to Inbox

Posted on CWBillow Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 365 and Click-to-Run Moving mail from subfolders to Inbox

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Lounger

I presently have several subfolders of my Inbox.  Can I drag/drop all mail from each subfolder back to my Inbox eliminating the chance of duplication?  Will it, like copying files, as if I want to replace and if so which copy to keep?  Can this be done en masse — all the messages from one sender moved at the same time, overwriting current Inbox copies with that of the subfolder?

Chuck Billow

• #2264876 Reply
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

This’ll depend on several things.

Are you using locally installed Outlook with an Office 365 Exchange Online mailbox?

Thing is, normally if you have copies of the same thing in two folders, you already have duplication. (“Search folders” are different, also Gmail is different.)

So, “move” and “copy” are two different things usually. Normal move doesn’t duplicate, but if you already did a copy last year or so to create a duplicate and now move that duplicate, it won’t overwrite the original.

Outlook (locally installed application) has a tool under “Mailbox cleanup” that should be usable to eliminate duplicates. (It says “conflicting versions”, should be close enough.) Similar functions exist in other software too.

There are multiple ways to do a bulk move or a bulk copy.

• #2264908 Reply
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Lounger

OK, thanks.

Chuck Billow

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Moving mail from subfolders to Inbox

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.