News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • moving outlook

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jstillings1 1 year ago.

• Author

fpefpe
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello — does anyone have a definitive  “road map” to move  office/outlook from one computer to a new computer?

in addition to the PST file(s)  how do I insure that  rules/filters/contacts/address book/calendar gets migrated too — thanks

fpefpe

• #205907 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

BACKUP EVERYTHING on the original computer under your ID. All the settings you need are there. Be sure the AppData folder is included.

Install Office on the second computer. Don’t activate Office automatically when online (there should be a check box to uncheck) and Don’t open Outlook yet.

On the original computer, locate your .pst file. There are two folders under AppData, one in Local and one in Roaming that have Outlook information. On the new computer, make a copy of these folders – if this method doesn’t work, you can copy back the original folders.

The way I usually do it is to copy the files from the old computer to the new that have been changed recently or is larger.Example:
      old computer xyz.nnn date of install, 35KB – new computer xyz.nnn date of install, 35KB (do not copy)
      old computer abc.mmm recent date 256KB – new computer abc.mmm date of install, 5KB (copy old to new)
      old computer rbc.ggg recent date 50KB – new computer rbc.ggg does not exist (copy old to new.
      If your .pst file is under My Documents (sometimes I have seen it there) – copy folder to new computer.
      When you finish, open Outlook. You may have to tweak some of the settings under your account.

If this doesn’t work, copy the original folders back to the new computer.

• #205909 Reply

fpefpe
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for the info —

fpefpe

• #205915 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

If your email is set up as IMAP, your email will automatically show up on the 2nd computer as soon as you install Outlook and point it to the correct servers. However, I’m not sure about your address book, your calendar, and everything else.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    • #205931 Reply

jstillings1
      AskWoody Lounger

The secret to this is setting up Outlook with POP3 instead of IMAP.

Once your set up with POP3 on old machine, set it to download all emails.

When that is done, copy the .PST to a usb and walk over to the new pc. Install Office with outlook and put in a bad password. this will allow you to change the type to pop3. Then copy the .pst to the user/documents

Point the data file to that .pst in user/documents

PRO tip if ya use onedrive it will auto save your email .pst now 🙂

Now you can config pop3 to leave a copy on the server so your imap’s have something to grab.

Your done

NOTE: Email contacts will be there but anyone who did not have an email will not. The contacts are all now managed in the People app and outlook only using an api call to it now to get the emails. I have not found how to to export contacts from people app yet

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: moving outlook

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.