News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Moving to Larger SSD

Posted on CWBillow Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Moving to Larger SSD

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jburk07 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

CWBillow
      AskWoody Plus

On my (new) HP laptop, it came with a 120 gig SSD that was set up as Drive “C”, so it is the program drive.

Speedy, yes.  But many software programs want to be installed on the system drive — or at least so it seems to me — so there is no way there will be enough room.

Can I image that SSD, install the larger one I am buying, and then restore to the new SSD?  Or will I have to re-install Windows on the SSD and then restore or in stall all other files?

Chuck Billow

• #1736925 Reply

RockE
      AskWoody Plus

Hi, Chuck. If you have your favorite backup boot media (Macrium Reflect?) then you should be able to image the existing SSD to an external drive, swap out your old SSD for the new one, boot from your backup medium and restore the image to your new SSD.

Image or Clone often! Backup, backup, backup, backup......
      - - - - -
      Home Built: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek HD Audio

• #1737029 Reply

RetiredGeek
      AskWoody MVP

Don’t forget that after restoring the image and testing that it works you’ll have to use a Disk Utility (Partition Wizard Mini-Tool?) to resize your C partition to use all of the space on your new drive. HTH 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
      Computer Specs

• #1737157 Reply

CWBillow
      AskWoody Plus

RockE, RG:  OK, thanks guys.  That’s good news, especially since, as is often the case today, this laptop came “pre-installed” so setting up from scratch would be a bit of an issue, not to mention that the hidden restore/repair/install files will that way come over as well.

Chuck Billow

• #1738558 Reply

RockE
      AskWoody Plus

Don’t forget that after restoring the image and testing that it works you’ll have to use a Disk Utility (Partition Wizard Mini-Tool?) to resize your C partition to use all of the space on your new drive. HTH 😎

Thanks RG. I forget that about Macrium. I use a different backup program and it allows setting that when restoring an image. It also allows compressing so I can restore to a smaller-that-original disk (within reason, of course).

Image or Clone often! Backup, backup, backup, backup......
      - - - - -
      Home Built: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek HD Audio

• #1738601 Reply

jburk07
      AskWoody Plus

Using Macrium Reflect, even the free version, you can resize the C: partition as part of the restore process, without having to use a third-party tool. You just have to use drag-and-drop to copy the partitions one by one; then use “Restored Partition Properties” to resize C: before you drag and drop any partition to the right of it. I just did this to replace the original SSD in my hp laptop with a larger SSD. It worked great.

Group A Win7 x64 Home Premium SP1 Ivy Bridge

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Moving to Larger SSD

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.