News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Mozilla Firefox 78.02 Released

Posted on Microfix Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Code Red – Security/Privacy advisories Mozilla Firefox 78.02 Released

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

New versions of both mozilla firefox and firefox-ESR have been released to v78.02 and should be available via the update channel.

below are links for the ftp site and official site should you wish to update manually or offline:

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/#product-desktop-release

Security fix Now Updated by Mozilla
        Fixed an accessibility regression in reader mode (bug 1650922)
        Made the address bar more resilient to data corruption in the user profile (bug 1649981)
        Fixed a regression opening certain external applications (bug 1650162)

info shared from:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/78.0.2/releasenotes/

Firefox-ESR 68.10 remains unchanged.(at time of posting)

| Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 | Win7 Pro x86/x64 Offline |
        • This topic was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Microfix.
        • This topic was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Microfix.
        • This topic was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Microfix. Reason: Updated Security Fix Link: 2 x Moderate
        5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2279189 Reply
        Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

When they come out with three Firefox updates within nine days, that tells me I’m doing the right thing by waiting awhile before updating.  I’m wondering if I should still wait a bit longer, maybe they’ll catch something else and come out with 78.0.03.

All that while I didn’t hear anything about any problems with FF 78.  I’m always sqeamish about installing “new” updates.  Thank you Microfix, threads like this concerning Firefox are very much appreciated by myself and others.

Win 7, Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz, Linux Mint 19.1, Klaatu barada nikto

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2279192 Reply
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

Historically, new Mozilla releases don’t settle for a few weeks.
          Which is why I’m on ESR v68.10.0 and staying with this channel to v68.12 in August.
          By then FF ESR 78.xx should be reliably stable as well as the bloated mainstream version.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Microfix. Reason: typo corrections
          • #2279202 Reply
            EP
            AskWoody_MVP

what Microfix? FF ESR 38.10.0? (no such version exists)
            shouldn’t it be 68.10.0?

I’m gonna upgrade to FF ESR 78.x by end of July 2020 after using ESR 68.10

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by EP.
            • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by EP.
            1 user thanked author for this post.
            • #2279212 Reply
              Microfix
              AskWoody MVP

thanks, numberpad typos 🙂

• #2279220 Reply
        DrBonzo
        AskWoody Plus

FWIW I updated to 78.02 last night on an old Win 7 Starter machine on which I keep the browsers (FF and Opera) and MSE updated (just in case I need a Windows machine for something).

No issues with the FF update.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2280529 Reply
        anonymous

I updated to Firefox 78.0.2 (64-bit). It’s working well, except when I tried to use Netflix, it crashed the computer dead (had to use the reset button, to reboot it). I haven’t used Netflix on this computer before, so it could be I’m missing something else, but my number one suspicion is the version of Firefox.

Has anyone else tried Netflix with this version, Firefox 78.0.2 (64-bit)?

• #2280541 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Anonymous: I have been streaming from Netflix for years in different computers and have never had, or heard of someone else having, a crash when using either FF to stream Netflix, or any other compatible browser for that matter. So the problem might be that there is some conflict between the new version of FF, or of FF’s HTML5 client, and something else running at the same time, bad enough to kill the PC. I very much doubt that Netflix itself has anything to do with it and clearly you don’t think so, either. I would try a different browser, if this happened to me, to see if this problem repeats itself then, assuming that doing so is not a recipe for big trouble.

In any case, thanks for letting this be known and giving the rest of us in this way a good warning. I never really liked FF that much, and now this may be a good reason for disliking it even more. I hope you get this sorted out without too much of a hassle.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Mozilla Firefox 78.02 Released

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.