Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Mozilla-sponsored “Privacy Paradox: Note to self”

Home Forums AskWoody blog Mozilla-sponsored “Privacy Paradox: Note to self”

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 month ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss
      83 pts

Privacy remains a thorny problem with no clear solution. I, personally, like to have Gmail scan my mail to snag flights. I don’t mind Cortana. My phon
      [See the full post at: Mozilla-sponsored “Privacy Paradox: Note to self”]

• #94835 Score: 0

lizzytish
      AskWoody Lounger
      2 pts

There’s privacy and privacy…… Stuff that gets collected when you surf the web, or when you install programmes/apps (the new word), gmail who is privy to your mail and so on and so forth….
      not to mention all the social media where some reveal information about themselves and their families and friends (something I abhor and have had constant, let me call them ‘debates’, with friends and family) BUT the biggest thing that MS (and a few others ) do is TAKING your information WITHOUT telling you from YOUR COMPUTER. To me one’s data is SACROSANCT and NOT to be fiddled with by meddling companies. What we divulge outside of our computers on line and so forth is something we choose to do……… we’ve made an educated decision about the risks and have gone ahead….. that’s one thing…… what I feel most of us are objecting to is the SNOOPING (which you can call the silent hoovering of your data) …… it’s SPYING…….. the word in itself conjures up under hand connotations.
      It’s like apples and oranges……….. the collection of facts/info when you are surfing and installing programmes if you will, AND what MS are doing secretly without our consent on our computers.

And just because some of us do/allow this to happen to them and don’t see the why or the wherefore..(Woody EXCLUDED!)…….. does NOT mean to say that its RIGHT and HONEST and SCRUPULOUS. I have said this before……. when our children were growing up and when we didn’t allow them to do something or the other we were told “Oh! but ‘so and so’ do it” and our reply was “Just because they do it doesn’t mean to say it is right”

There are those when on line go by Anonymous or AKA……… why would they do that….. hasn’t anyone thought of that………. of course they have……..it’s because they do NOT want to be associated with their real identity. People are aware of the scams that prevail on the web…… the phishing, the ID theft and so and so forth…….. all this is part of the reason for most of us to protect our PRIVACY. So why should we then turn the other cheek and allow MS et al to
      freely come in to our computers and do what they will………and explain it off with some stupid
      legalese argument! Just my 2 bits! LT

“People who urge you to be realistic generally want you to accept their version of reality.” – Anonymous

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #95067 Score: 0

rc primak
        AskWoody Lounger
        14 pts

I agree that there is a difference between informed opt-in consent and uninformed consent, often without even an opt-out option available.

This is where Windows is different from many Social Media sites. While Microsoft does have pages and pages informing us of what they may do, they do not inform us nor offer us the options, to see where in the OS these things are actually being done and when. So we don’t have enough info. to opt out, even if we have third-party tools (or Registry hacks) to accomplish the changes. Very different from Social Media sites where for the most part, users at least have the option of finding out where and when privacy might be compromised, often (but not always) with opt-out possibilities.

I don’t mind giving my informed consent to opt in to sharing private or personal info. But I do object to having personally identifiable info. collected and stored, then shared with unnamed third parties, without my affirmative consent (opt-in).

I don’t use ad blocking to reduce clutter or for other cosmetic reasons. I use it to protect myself from malicious and “benign” spying and other mischief. And I will continue to do so as long as software makers and site operators continue to obfuscate and outright lie about what personal data they are collecting and how they are using it.

I might not choose to opt out, but I have a right to know!

Moderated:  auto spam filter caught this, reason not clear.

-- rc primak

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  rc primak.
        • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  rc primak. Reason: edited replies keep dispappearing
        • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Kirsty.
        • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Kirsty.
        • #95095 Score: 0

rc primak
          AskWoody Lounger
          14 pts

For those who are moderating, it seems there may be an issue with the Lounge in which replies edited too frequently in a short time may get flagged and disappear from view until they get moderated. Sorry this happened here.

-- rc primak

• #95097 Score: 0

Kirsty
            AskWoody MVP
            14 pts

Thanks for the observation, but I’m not sure that is the specific issue. With a long weekend ahead, we could be “fighting” this until next week, but hopefully it will go back to normal very soon.
            🙂

• #94836 Score: 0

anonymous

I heard about this feature from “Note to Self” and listened to the intro and the first podcast entitled “What Your Phone Knows”. There was information on Privacy Policies and Terms of agreement that people don’t pay attention to. Then there was a segment on information about the “Signal” app. This is supposed to encrypt messaging on your phone. I went to download this and – following the advice of the series – I read the permissions that this app asks for. From their website:

Version 3.29.6 can access:
      Device & app history

read sensitive log data

Identity

find accounts on the device
      read your own contact card
      modify your own contact card

Calendar

read calendar events plus confidential information
      add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without owners’ knowledge

Contacts

find accounts on the device
      read your contacts
      modify your contacts

approximate location (network-based)
      precise location (GPS and network-based)

SMS

read your text messages (SMS or MMS)
      receive text messages (MMS)
      receive text messages (SMS)
      send SMS messages
      edit your text messages (SMS or MMS)

Phone

directly call phone numbers
      directly call any phone numbers
      modify phone state
      reroute outgoing calls
      read call log
      read phone status and identity
      write call log

Photos/Media/Files

read the contents of your USB storage
      modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Storage

read the contents of your USB storage
      modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Camera

take pictures and videos

Microphone

record audio

Wi-Fi connection information

view Wi-Fi connections

Device ID & call information

read phone status and identity

Other

send WAP-PUSH-received broadcast
      receive data from Internet
      view network connections
      create accounts and set passwords
      pair with Bluetooth devices
      send sticky broadcast
      change network connectivity
      connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
      disable your screen lock
      full network access
      change your audio settings
      read sync settings
      run at startup
      set wallpaper
      use accounts on the device
      control vibration
      prevent device from sleeping
      toggle sync on and off
      This seems very opposite to the main thrust of the series – What am I missing?

7 users thanked author for this post.
      • #95052 Score: 0

rc primak
        AskWoody Lounger
        14 pts

At least as of 2015, Max Eddy of PC Mag did not think Signal posed a security or privacy risk.
        http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2494534,00.asp

EFF, an organization not noted for tolerating privacy intrusions, has endorsed this app as lately as Nov. 30, 2016:
        https://ssd.eff.org/en/module/how-use-signal-ios

Setting Permissions does not always mean someone is using these Permissions outside the device. The term Permissions is a specific technical term in Linux and Android, and has nothing to do with outside parties.

App Permissions may be used more broadly, and hence the confusion when someone without specific Linux knowledge just looks down a specs list like this one. It’s hard for non-technical people to distinguish between OS Permissions and App Permissions in Android.

If there were anything unusually broad in these Permissions, I am sure EFF would have warned users about the risks.

In looking over this list, I see very few App Permissions which do not have necessary functions in the core features of the Signal App. They are just allowing the App to do what it is designed to do — little else.

-- rc primak

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  rc primak. Reason: additional info
        2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #94856 Score: 0

Noel Carboni
      AskWoody MVP
      111 pts

In today’s world, privacy is less about being alone and more about protecting our identities and information. But if we’re all so concerned about protecting our personal data, why do we regularly give it away to apps, marketers, social media and websites?

We?

Some of us don’t give private data to apps, marketers, or social media. Or to tracking web sites.

And what’s the first thing on the linked site?

“Enter your email”.

Uh, no.

-Noel

5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #94922 Score: 0

Microfix
        AskWoody Lounger
        20 pts

Agreed Noel,
        Sometimes apps require email addresses in order to function properly,
        depending on how much anyone NEEDS the app, just use an email generator or an ancient junk mail account.
        There are always workarounds 😉

https://10minutemail.com

| x64 Group B: W7 Pro & W8.1 Pro | | x64 Group W: 3 x Linux Hybrids |
          No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
        • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Microfix.
        2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #95042 Score: 0

rc primak
          AskWoody Lounger
          14 pts

I bookmarked that site as soon as I read your post. Thanks!

-- rc primak

• #95447 Score: 0

anonymous

Yes, as a self-described privacy nut, my first reaction was the hypocrisy of them needing/wanting an email address. I can also attest to the joy and utility of 10 minute email.

• #94921 Score: 0

Pepsiboy
      AskWoody Lounger
      2 pts

Noel,

My thoughts EXACTLY ! ! !

Dave

• #95051 Score: 0

anonymous

Glad I am not the only one who saw the irony in the “you’re being tracked! To find out how, enter some personally-identifying data.” I half wonder if it says something like, “See! You just did what I was talking about right there.”

I want to read what they are trying to communicate, not listen to it. How annoying!

The topic ‘Mozilla-sponsored “Privacy Paradox: Note to self”’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed.