News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Mozilla Thunderbird Update

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Version 78.7.0
        offered to channel users on 26th January, 2021 and also available via Mozilla FTP:
        https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/

Various fixes, changes and additional Extension API’s
        More info over on the Official Release page:
        https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/78.7.0/releasenotes/

Security Advisories:
        https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/known-vulnerabilities/thunderbird/#thunderbird78.7

Be advised that there is also a warning for apple Big Sur users.

unresolved: Thunderbird performs sluggishly on macOS Big Sur

Bob99
        AskWoody Plus

For those folks already on Thunderbird, simply clicking on the “Help” menu bar item or the “Help” selection within the “hamburger” icon on the right side of the application will give you access to the “About Thunderbird” selection. Clicking on that will not only tell you about your currently running version of Thunderbird, but will also have a button to click to update your installation to the latest version from within Thunderbird!  🙂  Simply click the “Restart Thunderbird” button after it’s done downloading the update and you should be all set!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Bob99.
        NoLoki
        AskWoody Lounger

Thunderbird  has not been upgraded since rel 68.12 , on my Linux distro (MX 19). From what I gather, this distro has concluded that 68.12 is the most stable release on this platform. Clicking on ‘Help’, therefore, does not offer the upgrade.  I checked the stable repository for MX and rel 68.12 is what is still offered, with this note: “v. 78 is only in Debian Experimental, and we would not even try to add it to our repos. ” .

Where the other flavours of Linux stand on this, I do not know.

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

Considering that there have been many security fixes for Thunderbird since v68.12, my course of action from years ago was to add the mozilla PPA to distro’s of my choosing and updates just roll in with minimal fuss.

Answer: add the Mozilla PPA to your debian/ubuntu linux:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/ppa
          sudo apt-get update

[Enter] each line seperately in the terminal.

This PPA also includes current updates for Firefox and Firefox ESR, if installed 😉

NoLoki
            AskWoody Lounger

Thank you for the info, however already being aware of it for some time now , I decided to forego it.  The updates to FF do come regularly on MX without it.

It’s just TB that is in a time warp.  I was reading about the subject on the MX forum and some users (just a handful)  who have chosen the latter route to get the TB updates have reported problems after the install.  They had a couple of issues and had to reinstall to recover.  Something is making the upgrade(s) unstable – this probably started in a earlier release update that was never addressed or can not be solved.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Mozilla Thunderbird, Portable Edition 78.7.0

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/thunderbird_portable

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Mozilla Thunderbird Update

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.