News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • MS-DEFCON 2 – Get ready for January updates

Posted on Susan Bradley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog MS-DEFCON 2 – Get ready for January updates

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Da Boss

Remember it’s time to prepare for January updates by delaying /or pausing updates.  Also I’m ready to give the all clear to 2004 if you want to do it
        [See the full post at: MS-DEFCON 2 – Get ready for January updates]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

5 users thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

Help

When setting TargetReleaseVersion in the registry and in Group Policy to 2004 it updates to 2004 right? What do you put if you want 20H2? Do you just put “20H2”?

PKCano
          Da Boss

You can try 20H2, but I think MS made it 2009 or 2010 instead.

Kirsty
            Da Boss

According to Susan’s ComputerWorld article back in October:

Set its value to the desired target version for example, you’ll want to enter 1909 for Windows 10 version 1909, 2004 for Windows 10 version 2004, 20H2 for the latest release and so on.

Bob99
            AskWoody Plus

I had to enter “20H2” in the gpedit setting to get 20H2 to show up in the list of available updates a couple of months ago, but I can’t find my post on here about having to do that instead of abbodi86’s post quoted above.

I was on 2004 with the October update at that time if I recall correctly (IIRC).

I’m currently on 2004 build 19041.685 and the same holds true, it won’t take 2009 or 2010 but only 20H2.

For folks who want to know, since I use gpedit, I’m on Windows 10 Pro.

Bob99

I found the post I couldn’t find earlier this evening. It’s post number 2315456, and it’s located here. Look in the second paragraph for details.

Turns out I was updated with the November monthly patch for 2004 at the time, and that month’s patch apparently changed the terminology used in the gpedit settings.

anonymous

I’m still really confused since there are different answers here.

So if you are on 2004 you enter “20H2” to update to it, and if you are on 1909 or earlier you enter “2010” to get 20H2?

PKCano
                Da Boss

It seems that 20H2 now works for both v1909 and v2004.

Cee Arr
        AskWoody Plus

I’d like to raise a few points. Firstly,  it’s Defcon 2 but one can update to 2004 if one wants before patch Tuesday – isn’t that contraictary advice?  Secondly, as a paying member of AskWoody one is always referred to another website for more information re updating. Why so? Why not include the information on AskWoody?

Susan Bradley
          Da Boss

For one I’m following the format that Woody always used.    Tag » MS-DEFCON 2 « @ AskWoody   I consider this post more of an awareness post.   More details will honestly be in the paid newsletter at the end of this week.

Secondly upgrading to 2004 today means you grab the release before the January updates.  A feature release is not the same thing as the security patch.  It’s honestly like a service pack and is not introducing any new code that we haven’t already tested.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

anonymous

Help!

What do you put if you want to go back to Windows 7?

PKCano
          Da Boss

If you have upgraded from Win7 to Win10, and is has been less than 10 days, you can revert to your earlier Win10 version from within Win10.
          If it has been more than 10 days, you can restore the Win7 image you made before you upgraded (you did make an image backup, didn’t you?) or you can get out your Win7 install disks and start over.

anonymous

I’m not sure I like the change to telling people they need to spend $100 to get Pro rather than mentioning the Pause Updates feature. That’s a lot of money to fix an experience that Microsoft deliberately hampered. And I don’t really think we should be rewarding Microsoft for their policies that force us to have to wait until updates are ready, rather than actually testing them.

Susan Bradley
          Da Boss

I honestly don’t like the pause feature and the Pro “tax” allows you to specifically set the exact feature release you want.  It’s a much safer means to control updates.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

There are plenty of ways to manage the updates in W10 Home. See this thread.

Windows 10 Home vs. Pro

cheers, Paul

jdywky
        AskWoody Plus

Thank yOU !!
        WHEW !! Always a little more relieved when not too long in Defcon 4 & updating new events in
        Defcon 2 w pauses delaying updates…currently seeking new machine and OS..not Apple..hoping
        to have a version of something compatible with Excel and Linux Mint (Cinnamon?) but still access to
        whatever best Windows 10 is CONSISTENTLY TRUSTWORTHY, usable on with some way to minimize the time
        spent on updates especially having to pause virus checkers ..
        THANKS FOR YOUR HONESTY & PROFESSIONALISM !
        GOD BLESS YOU & YOUR TEAM and
        Best Wishes for a HAPPY NEW YEAR ! 🙂

geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

Windows 2004 Beta
        January 12, 2021

Made backup first.

Checked for updates with WuMgr:
        Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 – v5.85 (KB890830)
        2021-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64-based Systems (KB4598242)

Installed updates from WuMgr:
        2021-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64-based Systems (KB4598242)

I was prompted to reboot, so I rebooted without error, and checked for updates again using WuMgr. There were no further updates.

Using WuMgr,
        showed under installed updates.

BetaTest {Got backup and coffee}
        offline▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox83.0b3 WindowsDefender TRV=1909 WuMgr
        offline▸ Win10Pro 20H2.19042.685 x86 Atom N270 RAM2GB HDD WindowsDefender WuMgr GuineaPigVariant
        online▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.746 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox85.0b9 WindowsDefender TRV=2004 WuMgr
        buckwheat
        AskWoody Plus

Well, Susan Bradley gave the all clear to update to 2004. Back in September I downloaded a 2004 ISO file on an external portable hard drive. But, I have never done an update from an ISO file before. How is it done? Once installed do I need to manually update the Oct, Nov and Dec Patch Tuesday’s?

I am on Windows 10 Home version 1909 and I have installed the December patches.

PKCano
          Da Boss

Place the ISO on your desktop.
          Disconnect your computer from your network. The upgrade needs to be done OFFLINE.
          Right click on the ISO and choose “Open with” Explorer.
          It will mount the ISO as another drive letter.
          Navigate to that drive and run setup.exe
          Choose to save your Apps and Data, say “NO” when it asks you to go online to update (if you allow it, it will upgrade you to 20H2).
          After the upgrade is complete, go through the Settings App and the Control Panel and be sure all of your settings are correct (particularly Windows Update settings) – it will change some of them.
          Right click on the drive letter and unmount the ISO.
          Then go online and run Windows Update like you usually do (the ISO install will not be up to date).

1 user thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

Updated to 2004. Win10 Pro x4 on Zbook 17 workstation running 1909. Set Group Policy to 2004 from 1909 and set feature deferral to 0 and resumed. Guess I did it early enough to miss January updates. Hit resume and was offered 2004, and HP driver update for 2004 from 2018 and Malicious Software tool. Hadn’t done this on Win10 before and the process took ~ 3 hours. 🙁

2004 wiped my X-Rite monitor calibration and removed something called Intel USB MON. PITA to put it mildly. After doing some essential work, had to dig out the colorometer and re-profile with i1Studio. Saved the profile anyway as my eyeballs were burning prior.

On reboot, got the removing Intel USB MON notification once more. Shutdown took much longer as did startup. Lost the startup sound first couple of times. It was checked. Go figure. Seems to be working again. Color profile takes some seconds to load after the sound and desktop appear. Why we need these “feature” updates is beyond me. Programs load but slower.

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: MS-DEFCON 2 – Get ready for January updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.