News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • MS-DEFCON 2: Here comes the September Patch Tuesday. Batten down the hatches.

Home Forums AskWoody blog MS-DEFCON 2: Here comes the September Patch Tuesday. Batten down the hatches.

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Da Boss

Tomorrow’s Patch Tuesday. Now would be a good time to check and make sure you have Windows Update paused. Or, if you’re particularly adept and are run
        [See the full post at: MS-DEFCON 2: Here comes the September Patch Tuesday. Batten down the hatches.]

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2294472 Reply
        jdywky
        AskWoody Plus

THANK YOU!!! TY TY TY TY so many times..

Some would say I’ve got it backwards..but I tend to.get more skeptical at a 3 or esp a 4 ! :)For those of us possibly purchasing a new machine…Are we seeing an increase in interest in Chrome OS or Linux w Mint  as dual boots? either with or without W10 or as  flat out alternatives? help me find forums of W7 watchers esp any without the purchased add on tech support & minimized updating.    If they exist, ballpark it…how many?

THANKS AGAIN!

• #2294474 Reply
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

All requisite drive images created, duplicated and copied to external offline media.

Hatches wide open and ready for automatic Windows update.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• #2294477 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

Make your backups now:

• Sometimes defer, pause, hide may not function well.
        • Sometimes you click: Check for Updates.
        • Sometimes there are new unannounced update rules.
        • Sometimes updates are confusing.

Everyday is backup day.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox83.0b3
        online▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox83.0b4 WindowsDefender
        TargetReleaseVersion=1909
        WUMgr
      • #2294607 Reply
        anonymous

UGH! Didn’t realize the 8th is the 2nd Tuesday already. 🙁 DUH…

Hadn’t updated on Friday because I couldn’t afford an unstable machine on a holiday weekend. Made backups and hit resume updates. Have no update blockers on this thing. Up popped the CU for Win10 Pro x4 1909, the .Net preview, an HP file of some kind and the alleged feature update blaster KB4023057. All began installing immediately.

Not that familiar with Win10 as it was only installed on here by my enterprise IT people when a BIOS issue crashed my Win7 Pro install irreparably a few months back, so I’m fairly clueless/unfamiliar.

Going for stability and reliability. Have no blockers or settings to prevent 2004. After reboot, my feature deferral is still in place in the settings GUI. Should I uninstall KB4023057 if there is no risk of instability issues? Would setting metered connections have given me options of what to install when I hit resume, or is a group policy setting the necessary and required option at this point to defer 2004?

Not techie. Be gentle. 😉

PS. Defcon 4 on a Wednesday would be a lot better than a Friday as access to my IT people is M-F only if disaster strikes.

• #2294610 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

It is OK to uninstall KB4023057.
          To help you understand the settings see AKB2000016 Guide for Windows Update Settings. Sections 3 & 4 cover v1909, Section 5 for v2004, screenshots below.

• #2294644 Reply
            anonymous

Interestingly KB4023057 shows under installed updates via the updates setting history page but does not show up under the programs and features. Seems it can’t be uninstalled.

Apparently I’ll have no choice but to use group policy to defer feature updates once 2004 is installed but dislike tinkering in case I break something. Never say never…

• #2294648 Reply
              PKCano
              Da Boss

KB4023057 may show up in the Settings App->Apps. If it does, you can uninstall it there.

• #2294689 Reply
                anonymous

Thanks. Found that in an online search. MS must want to bury it in later 1909 versions. Not there in mine. Wish MS would stop tinkering and removing user controls. 🙁

• #2294640 Reply
        Fred
        AskWoody Plus

I continue to recommend Chromebooks for folks who (a) don’t rely on a program that absolutely must run on windows and (b) don’t mind google’s snooping.

The list of programs that absolutely require windows is getting shorter all the time.

(c) –  “I don’t care, I have nothing to hide anyway”, keeping in mind the new Earn-IT Act for building backdoors in encryption algorithms

~ ~ ~
      • #2294875 Reply
        anonymous

In the article (under “Blocking automatic update on Windows 10”, paragraph starting “If you’d rather take the easier Pause updates approach…”) there’s one set of instructions for “If your Updates paused timer is set before Oct. 4…” and a different set for “If Pause is set to expire before the end of September…” Um, all of September falls into both of these parameters. EG, my update, paused until 9/29, fits both. I feel like I’m missing something simple here, but what?

• #2294884 Reply
          anonymous

They both apply to you. The first paragraph is about Resuming first (within the next 2.5 hours), before Pausing as in the second paragraph.

• #2294909 Reply
            anonymous

Thanks for your response. Still seems a bit obtuse, but I’ll decide in the next few minutes…

• #2295013 Reply
        WCHS
        AskWoody Plus

On my 1909 machine, I have FU=365, QU=0, and GPE=#2, notify download/install. I was not able to hide the three Patch Tuesday CUs early enough, so now the WU screen looks like this.
        Updates-available
        It only shows one update, but I imagine that the other two are waiting behind it.

However, wushowhide indicates that the three Patch Tuesday updates are hidden. I am assuming that I hid them too late – at the time I hide them, I never looked at the WU screen; I just went to wushowhide to hide them
        Show-hidden-updates

So, if I wait until my system makes the next scheduled, automatic look at the WU queue (which will be sometime tomorrow), will this WU screen be revised to show No Updates Available, i.e., that “You are up to date”?

Or do I have to do something else to get this update (and any others that are waiting behind it) out of the WU queue?

Offline: Win7Pro ∙ SP1 ∙ x64
        Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-6500U ∙ RAM 12GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender
        Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-8565U ∙ RAM 16GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender

Attachments:
        • #2295017 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

So, if I wait until my system makes the next scheduled, automatic look at the WU queue (which will be sometime tomorrow), will this WU screen be revised to show No Updates Available, i.e., that “You are up to date”?

Yes, exactly. Windows Update and wushowhide both use the Windows Update Service to scan for updates. The Windows Update scan is saved in a cache until the next time WU scans, so the contents (what shows in the queue) is static. wushowhide scans when you run it, so what it shows is dynamic.

For the two to agree, Windows Update has to refresh the cache (queue) after you hide the updates. If you find something different, please let us know.

2 users thanked author for this post.
          • #2295376 Reply
            WCHS
            AskWoody Plus

…please let us know.

@PKCano  I am getting back to you on my note at #2295013 and your reply at #2295017.

From Sept 8 through early this morning Sept 10, I kept getting the same WU screen “Updates available”, first with the time stamp “Today 6:32 PM”, then yesterday it said “Yesterday 6:32 PM”, and this morning at 7:30 AM, it said “On 9/08/2020 6:32 PM”. So, it looks like there’s a dynamic aspect to the display, b/c the timestamp kept changing day by day.

However, patience is the key. You are right. This morning at 7:44 AM (42 hours after the first display on Sept 8), the WU queue itself updated and the WU display changed to this:
            You-are-up-to-date
            All is good.

Offline: Win7Pro ∙ SP1 ∙ x64
            Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-6500U ∙ RAM 12GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender
            Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-8565U ∙ RAM 16GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender

Attachments:
      • #2295118 Reply
        carpintero
        AskWoody Lounger

set Windows Update to Notify before downloading and installing

(I keep trying to get rid of first of two attachments.)

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by carpintero.
        Attachments:
        • #2295428 Reply
          geekdom
          AskWoody Plus

I think it’s a one-way street; you can add pictures, but you can’t remove them. “Da Boss” should be able to remove pictures.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
          offline▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox83.0b3
          online▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox83.0b4 WindowsDefender
          TargetReleaseVersion=1909
          WUMgr
      • #2297589 Reply
        CraigS26
        AskWoody Plus

FWIW, in my 1909-64 Pro KB4023057 just showed for the first time in wushowhide – so I hid it.

I mirror WCHS (ie) On my 1909 machine, I have FU=365, QU=0, and GPE=#2

W10-64 1909 Pro / Hm-Stdnt Ofce '16 C2R / HP Envy Desktop-Ethernet/ 12 GB / 256G SSD + 1 TB HDD / i5 Coffee Lake/ GP=2 + FtrU=365 + QU=0

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: MS-DEFCON 2: Here comes the September Patch Tuesday. Batten down the hatches.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.