News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • MS-DEFCON 2: In preparation for the August 2020 Patch Tuesday, make sure automatic updating is turned off

Home Forums AskWoody blog MS-DEFCON 2: In preparation for the August 2020 Patch Tuesday, make sure automatic updating is turned off

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Da Boss

Tomorrow’s the second Tuesday of the month – and  many of you know that means Microsoft has a wad of patches waiting to go barreling down the automati
        [See the full post at: MS-DEFCON 2: In preparation for the August 2020 Patch Tuesday, make sure automatic updating is turned off]

5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2287582 Reply
        DriftyDonN
        AskWoody Plus

i’m very confused. Situation normal. Do we follow PKCAno exhaustive treatise on updating which doesn’t mention auto update paused as far as several readings reveal or do we use PAUSE which he recommends we NOT use. I DO have group policy settings=2 (notify but don’t download) so perhaps that is the answer…? Seems there are so many changes !! stop msft just stop!!

Thanks Woody!

Winpro 1909 bld .959

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare."

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by DriftyDonN.
        • #2287624 Reply
          Coldheart9020
          AskWoody Lounger

AKB2000016 does cover pausing updates (and other methods of controlling updates), but it is under the section for Win 10 Home users, in Section 2.

Section 3 and 4 covers settings for Pro users, and so that applies to you.

I DO have group policy settings=2 (notify but don’t download) so perhaps that is the answer…?

Correct. No need for metered connections or pausing updates, since Pro users have the added advantage of using Group Policy.

So now, all you really need once you’ve set ‘Configure automatic updating’ to ‘2 – Notify for download and auto install’, is wushowhide to hide any updates you don’t want.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2287683 Reply
          woody
          Da Boss

You can use either method.

@PKCano‘s “=2” method gives you more options, but it only works for Pro and Enterprise.

My “Pause Updates” method is simpler, works on every version — and you’ll get updated sooner or later, if you forget to change the “=2.”

2 users thanked author for this post.
          • #2287684 Reply
            PKCano
            Da Boss

You don’t need to change the “2.”
            You just click the “Download” button when you are ready.
            The updates will sit there till you do.

• #2287699 Reply
          DriftyDonN
          AskWoody Plus

Thank you. I hid the net preview offering and was concerned when it still appeared in the dl que and in wushowhide as hidden. For an unknown reason(microsoft knows) mt pc chechecked for updates last night @ 7:30pm …the net preview is not in the que! “Oh ye of little faith comes to mind”) Interestingly, I had the metered setting on but there was no notification, so I will un-meter my connection now and forever more I guess. Images made.

Thanks to All who have replied to my questions.

DriftyDonN

• #2287602 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I DO have group policy settings=2 (notify but don’t download) so perhaps that is the answer…

For Pro users =2 is enough as it just list all updates but doesn’t download or install.
        For home users follow PKCano or Woody.

• #2287619 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

Make your backups now:

• Sometimes defer, pause, hide may not function well.
        • Sometimes you click: Check for Updates.
        • Sometimes there are new unannounced update rules.
        • Sometimes updates are confusing.
        G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0 WindowsDefender
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.1082 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox81.0 WindowsDefender
        TargetReleaseVersion=1909
        WUMgr
        2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2287696 Reply
          bbearren
          AskWoody MVP

Make your backups now:

At 2:00 AM every Sunday via Task Scheduler.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
          "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
          "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• #2287701 Reply
            DriftyDonN
            AskWoody Plus

I live in a very thunderstorm -prone area and power outs are common(short term usually.) I just do not sleep easy with my systems on 24/7. When I sleep , my 2 laptops sleep and ‘SMART’ TV’s are disconnected-I have them hardwired so I just unplug.

Gets exciting when it’s during the day as I hobble from room to room  … wife gets a laugh

UPS for 2 rooms just out of the question at this time.

Thanks y’all!!

DriftyDonN

• #2287837 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Make your backups now:

At 2:00 AM every Sunday via Task Scheduler.

Every day (incremental) with Acronis True Image.

• #2287925 Reply
        John782
        AskWoody Plus

I have the Windows 1909 Home Version on both my older Toshiba Satellite and also on my Lenovo Yoga C740-14. I have my phone set to notify me the Monday before Patch Tuesday that I need to pause windows’ updates. I then go to advanced settings on the Windows’ Settings (Update) App, and click on the latest date. So far this has worked well for me and both laptops’ updates are currently paused until September 14.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by John782.
        • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by John782.
      • #2288424 Reply
        anonymous

I can start a new thread if you want but it appears that the *Net Framework Patches have gotten really terrible lately.  Is this across all Windows Versions?  They were bad before but it appears to me at least that they have gotten worse.

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: MS-DEFCON 2: In preparation for the August 2020 Patch Tuesday, make sure automatic updating is turned off

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.