News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • MS-DEFCON 2: Incoming! Pause Windows and Office patches

Home Forums AskWoody blog MS-DEFCON 2: Incoming! Pause Windows and Office patches

• This topic has 5 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago.
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Da Boss

October Patch Tuesday is just around the corner. Now’s a good time to make sure you have “Pause” set on your Win10 machines (or that you turn off Auto
        [See the full post at: MS-DEFCON 2: Incoming! Pause Windows and Office patches]

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2303505 Reply
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

Not to worry, I have four sets of drive images, two of which are stored offline, so updates/patches can do me no harm.  Anyone who runs Hardened Windows is in no danger.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• #2303515 Reply
        madquack
        AskWoody Lounger

wushowhide.diagcab to the rescue.

• #2303517 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

Make your backups now:

• Sometimes defer, pause, hide may not function well.
        • Sometimes you click: Check for Updates.
        • Sometimes there are new unannounced update rules.
        • Sometimes updates are confusing.

Everyday is backup day.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0 WindowsDefender
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.1139 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox82.0 WindowsDefender
        TargetReleaseVersion=1909
        WUMgr
      • #2303724 Reply
        Ricard
        AskWoody Plus

Another reason to stick with Windows 7 as long as I can. Way back, I clicked on “Never check for updates” and that’s it. I never have to worry about  next Patch Tuesday, even if I am late with doing last month’s patching.  No pausing, no deferring, no Microsoft changing the rules.

I can understand the idea (and ideal) of having all Windows machines being all patched up and at the same level, to theoretically avoid buggy patches from different configurations. BUT it doesn’t seem as if Windows 10 has ushered in that happy state of affairs, now does it?

Win 7 Pro, 64-Bit, Group B ESU,Ivy Bridge i3-3110M, 2.4GHz, 4GB, XP Mode VM, WordPerfect
      • #2303728 Reply
        abbodi86
        AskWoody_MVP

Win7 2020-08 Monthly Rollup (KB4571729) metadata revised last thursday
        whatever changed 🙂

• #2303755 Reply
        bagnara
        AskWoody Plus

paused that update for the .net. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: MS-DEFCON 2: Incoming! Pause Windows and Office patches

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.