News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• MS-DEFCON 2: September – here we go again

Home Forums AskWoody blog MS-DEFCON 2: September – here we go again

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

ISSUE 18.35.1 • 2021-09-09 By Susan Bradley It’s time to start getting ready for Windows 11. The countdown is on to the release of Windows 11 on Octob
        [See the full post at: MS-DEFCON 2: September – here we go again]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Got today the bi-monthly KB4023057. Probably in preparation for October 5 ?
        Installed. No problems.

Simon_Weel
        AskWoody Plus

Question. Windows 11 available as of October 5. Windows 10 is supported to 2025. I assumed Windows 10 would get it’s 2-updates-a-year to 2025. But will it? Or is 21H2 the last Windows 10 version?

WSlagunacreek
        AskWoody Plus

I have generally not worried about updates (I maintain three backups), but currently I don’t want Windows 11. I watched your video and I determined I do not have an entry in the registry for Windows Update under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows. Thus, I want to download your registry key edit. I cannot find the download anywhere. Where would I find it? (I figured I would ask here in case others have the same question.)

blueboy714
        AskWoody Plus

I have generally not worried about updates (I maintain three backups), but currently I don’t want Windows 11. I watched your video and I determined I do not have an entry in the registry for Windows Update under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows. Thus, I want to download your registry key edit. I cannot find the download anywhere. Where would I find it? (I figured I would ask here in case others have the same question.)

I have same question – I am a Win10 home user and you said to download 2 REG files in your video – but you didn’t say where they were located.  The website you went to (askwoodylounge) is only for authorized users.

I can follow the registry editor example you showed in your video – but why bother if there is a REG file.

I am still assuming that Microsoft won’t allow Windows 11 to be installed on non-PTT/TPM PCs.  I have old ASUS motherboard that doesn’t have PTT/TPM turned on.

Also – is Microsoft making it mandatory that you create a Microsoft account (if you don’t already have one)?  Seems a bit Orwellian that MS has that much control over our lives.

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

What I do not understand is, if Windows 11 will be installed automatically on Windows machines, that do not manually deny that? (If they meet requirements, obviously).

Or will the user have to initiate installing W11 by clicking some button in the Windows Update section?

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

blueboy714
        AskWoody Plus

What I do not understand is, if Windows 11 will be installed automatically on Windows machines, that do not manually deny that? (If they meet requirements, obviously).

Or will the user have to initiate installing W11 by clicking some button in the Windows Update section?

good point – I thought MS wouldn’t allow you to install Windows 11 unless you had PTT/TPM and a registered Microsoft account.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

I agree, but are Window 11 going to be installed as an update automatically after official release, or do you have to seek for it?

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

Susan Bradley
            Manager

I’ve been told that it will be “offered” not pushed.  I don’t know how it will look to you though.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

abbodi86
            AskWoody_MVP

Like any Windows 10 Feature Update (since 1903 or so), it will be optional update at the beginnning (and probably for long time)

Upgrade to Windows 11: FAQ

PKCano
        Manager

The Scripts to set TRV for Win10 Home Users can be found in Section 2 of AKB2000016, along with instructions. Please read the section first, there are a couple of ways to install the Registry settings.

blueboy714
        AskWoody Plus

The Scripts to set TRV for Win10 Home Users can be found in Section 2 of AKB2000016, along with instructions. Please read the section first, there are a couple of ways to install the Registry settings.

I am looking for the Windows 11 REG files that Susan showed in her video.

AskWoody Plus

I am a confused senior citizen. I have LTSB 2016 and set it up long ago for no updates. I follow you advice each month and do manual updates. Should I use your 21H1 reg file for home” The windows update folder in group policy edit does not have a sub folder called windows update. Mine only had one sub folder called Defer windows update.  Is windows 11 going to be offered and an update that I can just ignore forever?

This is how I diabled updates (see below)

2. In the Local Group Policy Editor dialog, select Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates →
        Windows Components → Windows Update.

4. Configure the Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation setting:
        A. Double-click this setting.
        B. In the dialog that comes into view, select Disabled. Then click OK.
        5. Configure the Configure Automatic Updates setting:
        A. Double-click this setting.
        B. In the dialog that comes into view, do one of the options that follow:
        l Recommended. If you want Windows to stop automatically downloading, installing, and telling you about
        available updates, select Disabled. Then click OK

Susan Bradley
          Manager

Long term servicing branch won’t get the offer to Windows 11.  You can ignore it.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

WSlagunacreek
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks everyone for an informative thread.

Ultimately, I will upgrade to Windows 11, but I definitely want to see the bugs worked out. And I definitely don’t like MS changing the Start Menu. With Win10 they at least got something that works; the Win11 Start Menu is a wasteland.

rebop2020
        AskWoody Plus

OK. @sb, I am confused. After last moth I set delay quality updates in GPedit  Updates for Business to 14 day. But today got my first notices of Updates Available in notifications! Why? I thought that would delay the notifications? What could I have done wrong?

And Windows 11 is concerning. Agree with posters above. My goal will be to delay as long as possible. So please keep us up to date on how to do that. I am at 20H2. Should I upgrade to 21H1 now? After these latest updates? What would be best.

Thanks!

PKCano
          Manager

OK. @sb, I am confused. After last moth I set delay quality updates in GPedit Updates for Business to 14 day. But today got my first notices of Updates Available in notifications! Why? I thought that would delay the notifications? What could I have done wrong?

Deferrals begin when the update is released by MS, not when you set the setting.
          Pauses begin when you set the Pause and continue for that number of days.
          And updates do not show up in WU until either deferral or pause have ended.
          That information is covered in AKB2000016.

You should go ahead and update to 21H1. Just set TRV in GP to 21H1 and let Wu take care of it. If the TRV setting is not in your GP, use the script as linked by Susan above. Be sure you ger the one for 21H1.

rebop2020
        AskWoody Plus

OK. @sb, I am confused. After last moth I set delay quality updates in GPedit Updates for Business to 14 day. But today got my first notices of Updates Available in notifications! Why? I thought that would delay the notifications? What could I have done wrong?

Deferrals begin when the update is released by MS, not when you set the setting.
        Pauses begin when you set the Pause and continue for that number of days.
        And updates do not show up in WU until either deferral or pause have ended.
        That information is covered in AKB2000016.

You should go ahead and update to 21H1. Just set TRV in GP to 21H1 and let Wu take care of it. If the TRV setting is not in your GP, use the script as linked by Susan above. Be sure you ger the one for 21H1.

Sorry, much more confused now. please clarify:

1. Set in TRV 20H2. No issues.
        2. After updating in August, waited a few days then set Select When Quality Updates are received to14 days after release. Why did this not work and I go an update notification today!
        3. I did not pause.
        4. I showed up in Windows Update today.

Now, question 2:

1. Update to 21H1 – If I change that NOW, what happens? Will it update to 21H1 WITH September updates?
        2. Will it happen automatically? I do not get to choose?
        3. Would it not be better to update 20H2 to September and after that change TRV to 21H1?
        4. Or even better, wait for 21H2?

Truly appreciate your replies, but sometimes I cannot make heads or tails. Hopefully the above is specific enough to comb through this and know how to decide and why the 14 day setting in GPedit did not work.

Thanks.

PKCano
          Manager

Why did this not work and I go an update notification today!

Microsoft documentation.

Update to 21H1 – If I change that NOW, what happens? Will it update to 21H1 WITH September updates?

September updates won’t be released until Sept Patch Tuesday (hasn’t arrived yet). You will get the DEFCON approved Aug updates for 21H1 if you do it now. If you wait till Patch Tues (24th) or after, you will get the not-yet-DEFCON-approved Sept updates for 21H1.
          It will be Sept 20-something before the Sept updates are approved for both versions.
          So now would be a good time.

rebop2020
        AskWoody Plus

Did not see anything in the Microsoft link that would explain why 14 days after release did not work. But,I just looked and its the infamousKB4023057. SO I hid it. Might be 14 days since its last bothersome release.

Will consider the 21H1 now. That makes sense. Going to try to find a list of changes in 21H1.

rebop2020
        AskWoody Plus

Not much that seems intrusive or will alter the way I work:

These seem to be the biggest changes:
        <p class=””>New features include multicamera support for Windows Hello and security related performance improvements.</p>

• Windows Hello multicamera support to set the default as the external camera when both external and internal Windows Hello cameras are present.
        • Windows Defender Application Guard performance improvements including optimizing document opening scenario times.
        • Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Group Policy Service (GPSVC) updating performance improvement to support remote work scenarios.

Bunch of security features. A reference to a new GPU setting top prefer Intel or High power video.

Seems like I will do that.

Viewing 14 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: MS-DEFCON 2: September – here we go again

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.