News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • MS-DEFCON 4: Get patched, but avoid the .NET stinkers

Home Forums AskWoody blog MS-DEFCON 4: Get patched, but avoid the .NET stinkers

Tagged: 

Viewing 24 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Da Boss

It looks like the April Black Tuesday patches have stabilized, in general. But the .NET patches are still causing the same problems I talked about thr
        [See the full post at: MS-DEFCON 4: Get patched, but avoid the .NET stinkers]

• #55942 Reply
        J

Woody, can you please elaborate on your statement: “If you see any nonsecurity updates for Office, make sure they’re unchecked, too”

What are Social Connectors? I had one offered (KB2553406) and it is checked.

Also, what other nonsecurity updates for Office are you referring to? I had KB2553267 and KB2553248 offered and checked, and these don’t list them as Security Updates.

• #55943 Reply
        Marty

Woody,

Does Defcon 4 apply to the Micosoft Security Essentials update to version 4.0? I haven’t seen any report that the installer problem has been fixed. Thanks.

• #55944 Reply
        NightOwl

*if you go into your Microsoft Update or Windows Update list, you’ll see the .NET patches are still offered, but they aren’t “checked.” That means Microsoft won’t install them unless you specifically ask for them.*

Sorry, but on my WinXP SP3 system, there are two .NET updates listed (2.0 SP2 and 4), and both are checked!

• #55945 Reply
        Arnold Burkert

I note an ‘update’ to install something called Bing Desktop with search bar. Is Microsoft getting desperate to push its search engine?

• #55946 Reply
        Gary Hare

Woody,

When I went to the Windows update page, they had all the updates checked even the .NET patches. I’m one of the few that’s still on Windows XP. Your think that Microsoft is trying to tell me something? I do use Windows 7 at work, but it’s doesn’t impress me that much. Again thanks for the heads up on the .NET patches.

Gary

• #55947 Reply
        Upton

What about KB2691905?

• #55948 Reply
        Upton

KB2691905?

• #55949 Reply
        rc primak

As usual, no problems with .NET updates. These were not checked off by default in 64-bit Windows 7 HP SP1, but were checked off in 32-bit Windows XP Pro SP3. I checked off these updates for both OSes, and although the Win XP laptop installs .NET updates very slowly, no other incidents to report.

No other issues with any MS Updates through April, 2012.

• #55950 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

@J –

You don’t want Social Connectors unless you really, really want to move, uh, “seamlessly” between Outlook and Facebook.

The two KBs you mention – KB2553267 and KB2553248 – are both nonsecurity updates. Avoid them.

• #55951 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

@Marty

I think the installer is working now. Give it a try.

If you have problems, try disconnecting from the internet when you run the installer. Details in the comments on the MSIE 4 failure post, https://www.askwoody.com/2012/microsoft-security-essentials-installation-error-0x8004ff83/#comment-16684

• #55952 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

@NightOwl

Fascinating!

Personally, I wouldn’t install them….

• #55953 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

@Arnold –

Bing Desktop is a wonderful new product from Microsoft that puts the beauty of Bing’s backgrounds on your Windows desktop, and adds a convenient new Bing search bar to the middle of your desktop, too.

More marketing junk from Microsoft. You can do better with your own desktop, and you don’t need the Bing search bar in the middle of things.

• #55954 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

@Upton –

KB2691905 is the Microsoft Security Essentials 4.0 update.

Go ahead and install it. If you have problems, try this: https://www.askwoody.com/2012/microsoft-security-essentials-installation-error-0x8004ff83/#comment-16684

• #55955 Reply
        Jose Torres

Hi Woody, I justed to say thanks for always taking care of us in releasing any type of information relating to Micrososft problems and their updates and patches. I check out your site everyday and it is great to know that you care enough to pass along your knowledge to others. The .NET mess for April 2012 was no exception. Thanks again and I am sure that my thanks is shared by many others who view your site. Keep up the great work and for caring.

• #55956 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

@Jose –

Hey, you made my day. Thanks.

• #55957 Reply
        Suzi

Hi Woody~

Ditto on Jose Torres’ comment. I have several of your books and refer to them regularly for my XP, Vista, and Win7 machines. I also refer to this site almost daily.

Thanks Woody for keeping us safe!!

• #55958 Reply
        Ron

No! You Maid all Our’s You the Man Woody! Many Many Thanks Ron

• #55959 Reply
        Ron

Woody these are the .Net’s that i currently have not Updated an these were all that were left i did the updates for IE 8 an XP. But will hold off on these little Grimlins till you give the Go ahead. thanks again Woody Ron

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 x86 (KB2656368)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2656369)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2656370)

• #55960 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

@Ron –

You done good.

Next week we’re going to get even MORE .NET stinkers…

• #55961 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

@Suzi, Ron – Thanks * 2!

• #55962 Reply
        Mark

For some reason the Office updates will not install on either of my two Vista 32-bit machines due to Update Error 80070641. I’ve never seen this problem before.

• #55963 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

@Mark

That’s a general “throw your hands up” error. If you figure you really need the Office updates (they seem to be real yawners to me), hit the Microsoft Answers site, starting here

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2003-office_install/running-windows-vista-32-bit-facing-error-code/8dc32f75-5781-4e32-989b-765b9f6f4c86

I wouldn’t be overly concerned about it, though…

• #55964 Reply
        Mark

Woody, I found the problem. Something deleted the registry key for MSISERVER, which prevented the Windows Installer Service from running. The files weren’t deleted, just the registry key. I’m guessing that “something” was System Mechanic. I’ve taken steps to excluse the registry key from being “fixed” in the future.

• #55965 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

@Mark

I’m NOT a big fan of System Mechanic…

Viewing 24 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: MS-DEFCON 4: Get patched, but avoid the .NET stinkers

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.