News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • MS-DEFCON 4: It’s time to install the April 2019 patches

Home Forums AskWoody blog MS-DEFCON 4: It’s time to install the April 2019 patches

This topic contains 86 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by

EP 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

If you’re running Win7, 8.1, or any of the associated Server versions, you need to make sure your antivirus is up-to-date. But in general we’re ready
      [See the full post at: MS-DEFCON 4: It’s time to install the April 2019 patches]

• #1243848 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Direct Catalog download links to the April Security-only patches and IE11 Cumulative Updates are available for Group B on AKB2000003.

It’s slow. Be patient.

11 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1245184 Reply

dgreen
      Subscriber

I usually wait until others post their results from applying their patches.
      I deceided to go out on a limb and take one for the team ( :
      Installed:
      KB4493472 (rollup) without issues.

KB4474419 (SHA2) still have not applied.
      MSRT not installed (have not for several months now)

Dell Inspiron 660 (new hard drive installed and Windows 7 reloaded Nov. 2017)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP 1  GROUP A

Processor:  Intel i3-3240 (ivy bridge 3rd generation)

chipset Intel (R) 7 series/C216

chipset family SATA AHCI Controller -1 E02

NIC Realtek PCLE GBE Family Controller

MSE antivirus

Chrome browser

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1249484 Reply

Ed
        Subscriber

I installed KB4474419 last month on all of the 16 computers that I maintain (both 32 and 64 bit) and I haven’t seen or heard from any of the users of anything unusual. Is there a specific reason you’re avoiding it?

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1257049 Reply

anonymous

DGreen, Good information and your waiting on the SHA2 is wise. I waited too. Installed the Servicing Stack and SHA2 without issue today. W7 64 Group B

• #1262697 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

No need to wait on KB4474419 (SHA2). It is installed on all of my home Win7 computers, and it is installed on all of the dozens of office Win7 computers, with no issues. How about that — an update which actually works!

• #1264166 Reply

anonymous

Whoa, there. Let’s not get too excited. I agree it has proven to not cause damage; don’t delay, go ahead and install it before you forget what it is and why you need it. But as far as working…? I won’t have that proof until later this summer.

• #1247559 Reply

honx
      Subscriber

installed group b patches on both windows 7 pc and 8.1 notebook, installed all important office 2010 updates, msrt and flash player (8.1).

of course i hid kb4493132 (it was optional and unchecked, but i hid it anyway, to be on the safe side).

PC: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64bit, Group B
      Notebook: Windows 8.1, 64bit, Group B

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1248419 Reply

Terring
      Subscriber

I have hidden the KB4493509 update of Windows 10 1809. Now all I have to do is to unhide it, make the connection unmetered and let my PC do it automatically, right?

My English is far from perfect and I want to improve it. If you find any mistakes, particularly with my grammar, feel free to correct me.

• #1248800 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

You should make an image of your PC first, so you will have something to go back to if you have a problem.
        But that should get you updated.

• #1249014 Reply

fl
        Subscriber

Since you asked…,

The second sentence should read: “Now all I have to do is unhide it, make the connection unmetered and let my PC do it automatically, right?” (no “to” before “unhide”)

The final sentence: “If you find any mistakes (especially the grammatical ones), feel free to correct me.” “Grammatical” is an adjective, “grammar” is a noun. You could have said, “If you find any mistakes, particularly with my grammar, feel free to correct me.”

Mac Mini v. 6.2 (2012) with Win7 64 bit
        MacBook Pro v. 3.1 (2007) with Win7 32 bit
        Group B Updater

• #1286194 Reply

Terring
        Subscriber

I was ready to unhide KB4493509 but the only hidden update I can see it’s the new KB4495667 that I hided a bit earlier today. Where is the old update?

My English is far from perfect and I want to improve it. If you find any mistakes, particularly with my grammar, feel free to correct me.

• #1248793 Reply

fl
      Subscriber

Win7 Pro, both x86 and x64 machines, Group B updater here. Anti-virus is Microsoft Security Essentials. Also running Malwarebytes Pro in full protection mode.

Installed KB4493448 and KB4493435 manually, rebooting after each install. Slow installs, but they eventually succeeded.

Ran Windows Update, and was offered this month’s “Rollup” and next month’s “Preview” – hid both.

Only KB890830 (MSRT) remained which installed/scanned without incident.

Overall, this was one of the smoothest updates in recent memory, but then again, I don’t use one of the affected anti-virus programs.

Mac Mini v. 6.2 (2012) with Win7 64 bit
      MacBook Pro v. 3.1 (2007) with Win7 32 bit
      Group B Updater

• #1249283 Reply

anonymous

Group A…Windows 10 Pro x64 (1803) & Office 365 updated no problems.

Windows 7 Pro x64 & Office 365 updated no problems.

Using Norton AV & Firewall which I turned off prior to updating on both PC’s.

• #1250029 Reply

dgreen
      Subscriber

I installed KB4474419 last month on all of the 16 computers that I maintain (both 32 and 64 bit) and I haven’t seen or heard from any of the users of anything unusual. Is there a specific reason you’re avoiding it?

Ed
      Thank you for your post about Installing kb4474419 (SHA2) on many computers  without issues.
      I was waiting for more posts about others installing it, as we have until July.
      I’m going to install it now.
      If I become MIA, call in the calvary!  ( ;

• #1250611 Reply

Microfix
        Da Boss

Thank you @dgreen for your regular monthly reports once patched.
        Every bit of info helps others 😉

********** Peng/Wins x86/x64 **********

- µfix

• #1251725 Reply

dgreen
          Subscriber

Thank you @dgreen for your regular monthly reports once patched.
          Every bit of info helps others 😉

Microfix  Always happy to contribute when I can.
          BTW I did install KB4474419 (SHA2) and all is well.

• #1250714 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

Updating in the background when the operator is away is not a good idea.

Isn’t that how ALL antivrus programs work?

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Sucker More intrepid Crazy/ignorant Toxic drinker Saluted blockhead "Unwashed mass" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #1257312 Reply

anonymous

b, technically you are right. AV does update in the background. But many of us are like Woody and more skeptical or suspicious as to why an update is forthcoming. I check for AV defs and program updates daily, and NO program update came through. However, the behind the scenes emergency patch did come in totally unannounced and was not known until a reboot was performed. Those of us here being suspicious, are more so when that happens and would like to see either a notice of the impending update, or an actual place (for techies) to go, download and install it themselves.

• #1250933 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Yesterday morning, created a system Restore, created a full image copy, then installed April updates on my Windows 10 1809 Pro (kb4493509, kb4493478, kb890830).
      No problems so far, no changes to settings… 🙂

• #1250780 Reply

anonymous

Anyone else not getting Win7 patches if Avira is installed and up to date?

Most of my win7 machines were patched before MS stopped the patches for Avira machines.
      I haven’t seen any issues, thankfully.

But all I’m seeing via WU is the 2019-03 preview MQR, not the proper April patch
      when trying to patch a machine today (and this is the way it has been since 4/12).

MS still hasn’t updated:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4493448/windows-7-update-kb4493448

It still states:

Microsoft has temporarily blocked devices from receiving this update if Avira
      antivirus software is installed. We are presently investigating this issue with
      Avira and will provide an update when available.

Cheers.

• #1256648 Reply

rhp52
        Subscriber

I have win7 home prem. w/ avira pro updated. I have not seen the april update show up as of yet.

• #1514208 Reply

EP
          AskWoody_MVP

perhaps Microsoft is lazy to update support article 4493448 when MS already updated article 4493472 on 5/3 to indicate that Avira has already released an automatic upate to resolve the problem.

• #1251722 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

woody

you may want to redo or update your recent Computerworld article as Microsoft has released a newer update for Windows 10 version 1809 around 10AM pacific local time May 3 – KB4495667

1809 users should skip the KB4501835 update entirely and try out the newly released KB4495667 update instead

• #1253457 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

OY.

Another post-E pre-A-week release.

• #1255659 Reply

Ed
          Subscriber

“1809 users should skip the KB4501835 update entirely and try out the newly released KB4495667 update instead”

I’m not running Win 10 and never will but to satisfy my curiosity… is it “normal” for a newer update to have a lower KB number than the previous one? That seems a bit odd to me.

• #1264827 Reply

mn–
            Subscriber

“1809 users should skip the KB4501835 update entirely and try out the newly released KB4495667 update instead”

I’m not running Win 10 and never will but to satisfy my curiosity… is it “normal” for a newer update to have a lower KB number than the previous one? That seems a bit odd to me.

Not the usual thing, but happens often enough to not rate special mention.

• #1252744 Reply

anonymous

Good timing. I just got the last of my Windows 7 and 8.1 machines upgraded to Windows 10. Time to install the updates.

• #1256071 Reply

fernlady
      Subscriber

Installed kb 4493472, all seems okay. I use AVG free.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 AMD Group A Realtek PCLe GBE Family Controller

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1256893 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

Woody should be relieved to hear that you weren’t traumatised by AVG’s “very distressing bizarre behavior“.

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Sucker More intrepid Crazy/ignorant Toxic drinker Saluted blockhead "Unwashed mass" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #1256134 Reply

DrBonzo
      Subscriber

If you have Dell Support Assist and it was either automatically updated on or after April 23 to v3.2.0.90 or higher, or if you manually updated it to v3.2.90 or higher, make sure you check your Windows update settings!! They might have been changed to Download and install automatically (Paraphrase)!!!

Woody always says to check WU settings before patching, so you should be OK but make sure to check.

My settings were