News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • MS-DEFCON 4: Time to get December patches installed

Home Forums AskWoody blog MS-DEFCON 4: Time to get December patches installed

This topic contains 174 replies, has 49 voices, and was last updated by

b 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

It looks like the “emergency” Internet Explorer patch is working. As for the Outlook patches for the “operation failed” Rules & Alerts bug, your g[See the full post at: MS-DEFCON 4: Time to get December patches installed]

17 users thanked author for this post.
    • #242392 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

The Master Patch List still has most December updates flagged under “Safe to install?” as “Not at this time” or as “Hold for now”. Is this a glitch? Perhaps Susan has not had time this weekend to change that.

• #242400 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

It’s not a glitch.

Susan and I update asynchronously. I’m looking at individuals, Susan’s looking at the corporate end.

Also, see this: https://www.askwoody.com/2018/patch-lady-issues-with-out-of-band-on-1607/

6 users thanked author for this post.
        • #242433 Reply

ch100
          AskWoody_MVP

Susan is looking rather to Small and Medium sized businesses and advanced individual users.
          I would say that high-end businesses, those with 10k+ users have other ways of patching, although the advice from Susan and Woody are relevant too, due to raising potential red flags early in the patching process.
          The really-really high-end responsible businesses, in particular those most likely targeted by various malware, patch early (less than 48 hours) regardless and get the vendor involved if there are issues.

• #242393 Reply

anonymous

Did they update the Internet Explorer patch so it’s not crashing people’s systems?

• #242396 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Woody’s instructions will be published in ComputerWorld shortly. Wait for the link to go live.

4 users thanked author for this post.
        • #242401 Reply

woody
          Da Boss

I’m not aware of any significant crashes. Did I miss something?

• #242422 Reply

b
            AskWoody Plus

That’s quite a contrast to “I’m seeing reports that the Win7 patch, KB 4483187, triggers random crashes. Removing the update restores the machine.” only three days ago.

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #242429 Reply

woody
              Da Boss

Yep, it is. But there haven’t been any more screams of pain, as far as I can tell…..

1 user thanked author for this post.
          • #242427 Reply

anonymous
            • #242490 Reply

woody
              Da Boss

Precisely. I didn’t see any general pattern of bugs in the IE updates….

• #242545 Reply

HanJohnJo
            AskWoody Lounger

No crash, but after installing KB4470199 I recommend you to take a look at your Task Manager and check if all your scheduled Tasks are still there – especially those that you handcrafted. After installing KB4470199 mine have all disappeared.

Win7 pro sp1 64bit on i7-2620M & 16Gram

It's me.

• #242584 Reply

anonymous

KB4470199…? Or is that the one for Win 7 only? i got lost… 🙂

• #242588 Reply

PKCano
              Da Boss

KB4470199 has been replaced by KB4483187 for both Win7 and Win8.1

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #242403 Reply

Seff
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the update. I’ll wait on the article, but in any event I can think of more relaxing ways of spending Christmas with my family than saying to them “Apologies, but do you mind if we hold back on the exchanging of gifts, I need to install my Windows Updates”!

I’ll give it a few days and see what Microsoft give other people for Christmas before accepting their gifts myself…

10 users thanked author for this post.
    • #242411 Reply

WildBill
      AskWoody Plus

I imagine the details will be in the Computerworld article, but will the .NET patches be clean, or should we wait another month? On Win8.1, KB4471989 came through as Important on Patch Tuesday; usually it’s only Recommended. No biggie if we hold off on .NET again, especially if there are no security-related fixes.

Windows 8.1, 64-bit, now in Group B!
      Wild Bill Rides Again...

• #242412 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

There were Security-only .NET patches for Dec., so the Rollups will contain security fixes as well.

5 users thanked author for this post.
        • #242415 Reply

woody
          Da Boss

And they look clean to me.

• #242511 Reply

LTL
            AskWoody Plus

***Merry Christmas*** @woody, @pkcano & All !

So do you think it’s safe to install .NET (SO) KB 4471981 (for Win7/Group B)?

• #242512 Reply

PKCano
              Da Boss

The .NET patches look OK this month, both Rollup and SO.

• #242536 Reply

LTL
              AskWoody Plus

Trying to install .NET Security-only update KB 4471981 per catalog lead me through the swamp of MS-disinformation about which underlying KB to install, or not.
              Luckily, I read @pkcano ‘s reminder “Because it is difficult to determine what you need within the bundle, Group B recommends that you do the .NET patching through Windows Update because that mechanism will install the updates correctly.” (See #242377)
              So I ended up installing KB 4471987 instead of 4471981.

Already installed KB 4483187 a few days ago, and today 4471328 and 890830 on my Group B system.

All seems well.

• #242416 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

I have successfully updated Windows, IE, and .NET (no problems):
      + 2 XP Pro VMs (The only problem I had out of all was the fact it seems Avast AV no longer supports XP. The latest egine won’t run, but the older one does and still gets updated definitions)
      + 4 Win7 Pro and Ultimate VMs
      + 4 Win8.1 Pro VMs
      + 1 Win10 Pro 1709 VM
      + 1 Win10 Pro 1803 VM
      + 1 Win10 Pro 1809 VM
      + 1 Win10 Pro Insider Preview Fast Ring VM
      + 2 32-bit Win7 (one Home, one Pro) laptops
      + 2 64-bit Win7 Pro (one desktop, one laptop) hardware installs

AND My Townhouse Homeowners Office Aii-in-One Win10 Pro 1709.

None of the Win10 machines got forced to 1809!!!

6 users thanked author for this post.
      • #242604 Reply

anonymous

Thanks, PKCano, for clarifying something that had me wondering, as to Avast engine problem on XP. As I noted in my report yesterday, before Woody gave the OK to install — See:

December 2018 Patch Tuesday is under way

Avast Free Prog. V. 18.8.2356 (build 18.8.4084.409), today’s virus defn. version 1812254, seems to have had no problem w/ the four 12-2018 patches; that is on my Win7 SP1 x64 machine described in my above yesterday report. Again, thanks for all you & others do on this board; Merry Christmas to all!

• #242420 Reply

anonymous

Christmas Eve? No support people around for a week or two? What’s the panic? Has anyone even reported being hit by the vulnerability “fixed” by the wonky IE11 patch, or even disclosed what opened this hole?! Was it a December update which opened it in the first place? Hmmm…

• #242428 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

No panic. Just an easy go-ahead, especially for anybody who’s patching relatives’ machines.

And, nope, I haven’t heard of anybody being bitten by the IE 11 patch. Don’t even know what it is. but it seems to be innocuous.

• #242435 Reply

HH33
          AskWoody Lounger

I appreciate the “seems to be innocuous” reassurance, but that’s still not quite “it’s not a problem” reassurance.  Since I have neither the time nor the patience to deal with crashes over the holidays, I think I’ll just uncheck the KB4483187 IE11 update for now and install the others on our three Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1 machines.  Then, once we have a genuine “all clear” on KB4483187, I can update it on our machines.  We never use IE, so even though it still needs to be patched eventually, I’m voting for “better safe than snarling.”

Better thoughts from wiser minds are welcome.

Cheers

Group 7-L (W7, heading toward Linux)
          W7 Pro x64 SP1
          Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
          Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce 32-bit

• #242724 Reply

Morty
          AskWoody Plus

I just set a new restore point, backed up my drive, and installed these updates:

2018-12 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based systems (KB4483187)
          2018-12 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2 for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB4471987)
          Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 – December 2018 (KB890830)
          2018-12 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4471318)

So far, thank Heaven, everything seems to be working.

And thank you again.

• #242430 Reply

fernlady
      AskWoody Lounger

Call me chicken little but I think I’ll wait till after Christmas

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 AMD Group A Realtek PCLe GBE Family Controller

• #242438 Reply

n2ubp
      AskWoody Lounger

I guess it works okay unless you have a Lenovo laptop. 1803 crashed for my client when KB4483234 was applied. Logonui.exe stopped working according to Event Viewer. Upon power on all he saw was a flashing logon screen that alternated between the power button being and not being in the lower right corner of the screen. Updating him to 1809 fixed the problem.

• #242441 Reply

anonymous

Windows 7 Pro and Windows 10 Pro (1803). Installed all available updates ( IE, .Net and rollups ). I opened and closed and browsed around with IE on both machines, with no reboots or problems (yet). It appears that all went well.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #242442 Reply

anonymous

I guess that they are not forcing 1809 anymore.  I went with the DefCon and updated and am still on 1803 ver 17134.472

• #242450 Reply

anonymous

Mater patch list says 4483234 is a Flash update. That’s not quite correct. It’s the feature update.

• #242466 Reply

Morty
      AskWoody Plus

Do I have to do a full backup first (my regular drill)? Or does it look safe enough to just create a new restore point?

Paranoid Morty

• #242467 Reply

Morty
        AskWoody Plus

I got my answer. I should have read the CW article first.

Can’t be too safe.

Sigh….

• #242477 Reply

Pierre77
      AskWoody Lounger

Thank you. All installed on 3 machines running Widows 7 Home Premium x64 and Office 2010.

Not one hiccup from any machine.

• #242485 Reply

AusJohn
      AskWoody Plus

Two machines, both Windows 7 SP1 32-bit – Installed all available updates – .NET, Cumulative rollup, and Internet Explorer – no problems experienced.

I did them one-by-one – .NET first then reboot, Cumulative rollup second then reboot, and finally Internet Explorer then reboot.

Thank you to all the helpers here for their advice, comments, etc. Always very much appreciated.

• #242487 Reply

Mele20
      AskWoody Lounger

DEFCON 4 for Windows 8.1, but it should still be DEFCON 2 for Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Why?  I have Windows 10 Pro 1709 and just did a full backup and then installed the servicing stack update, the cumulative update, and then did the workaround for IE 11 security issue.  That was about an hour ago and I haven’t seen any problems.

• #242491 Reply

DrBonzo
      AskWoody Lounger

As Christmas Eve turned to Christmas, I set about patching in Group B fashion my Win 7 Starter 32 bit guinea pig machine with the December updates: .NET Rollup, Security Only update, and the newest IE 11 patch from Dec. 19, with a required reboot after each.

Heartened by my success, I donned my Santa Suit, stuffed some extra pillows inside, taped on a white beard and proceeded to slide down the chimneys of neighbors whom I knew for certain had not been naughty, but instead, nice. Hopefully, I would be able to give a most unexpected gift, that of a seamless trouble-free Windows update for December. And, with a bit of luck, perhaps chase away the ghosts of Windows past. Next to the fireplace of each neighbor, I was greeted with a tall glass of milk, a plate of chocolate chip cookies, and a booted computer with a sign reading, “Please, Santa, keep my computer from turning into a lump of coal, and successfully update my machine. I promise I’ll be nice again next year, too.”

I set to work immediately; on each machine (all Win 7 Pro x64 SP1) I installed the updates listed above in the same order with a 15 minute wait after each restart before moving on to the next update. I should also add I did the .NET and IE 11 updates from Windows Update, but manually installed the SO patch from the MS Catalog.

Success in all cases! I’m back home now, exhilarated by the success and yet sleepy from all the milk and cookies.

Merry Christmas everyone. Thanks to all for sharing trials, tribulations, and triumphs of Windows Patching.

8 users thanked author for this post.
      • #242600 Reply

anonymous

Thanks, Dr. Bonzo, for a humorous, refreshing chuckle full of good news, in the middle of the perpetual chaos which M$ inflicts upon us all! As Tiny Tim said, “God bless us every one”.

• #242616 Reply

cesmart4125
        AskWoody Lounger

Dr. Bonzo,

Thank you for a most literate contribution.  I have one question though, “Was all quiet through the house, not even a louse was stirring”?

google-christmas-tree-clipart-1

Attachments:
        • #242622 Reply

DrBonzo
          AskWoody Lounger

Funny you should mention that. Each time on my way down the chimney I thought I heard a bunch of snickering and caught a glimpse of 2 guys scurrying away. Didn’t think much of it, but since then I’ve had this haunting feeling I’ve seen these creatures before. I could swear one of them was a white guy, early 60s, grey hair, glasses. Almost looked like he had $1,000 bills falling out of his pockets. The other guy was maybe early 50s, shiny bald dome, glasses, middle to far eastern descent – maybe Indian. He was always trailing the first guy and was desperately trying to stuff his pockets with the $1K bills the first guy was dropping.

Funny thing is, they always showed up at my next stop, like they knew where I was headed. At each place there was a sense of tension and unease when I started, but by the time I finished the updates I heard little whimpers and moans and there was a general feeling of peace and well-being.

Truly a Christmas I’ll never forget.

• #242509 Reply

barcud
      AskWoody Plus

Updated my 1803 machine to 17134.472 – only needed to set ‘Quality Updates’ to 0 days from 30 and set ethernet connection to unmetered. (Semi-Annual Chanel and 365 days for Feature Updates.)

No sign of 1809 despite clicking ‘Check for Updates’.

• #242515 Reply

Klaas Vaak
      AskWoody Lounger

Since, according to https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/2000003-ongoing-list-of-group-b-monthly-updates-for-win7-and-8-1/, KB4483187 replaces KB4470199, I assume the latter does not need to be installed. Correct?

1x Linux Mint 19.1 | 1x Linux antiX

• #242517 Reply

DrBonzo
        AskWoody Lounger

Correct.

• #242520 Reply

Klaas Vaak
          AskWoody Lounger

@drbonzo: thank you.

Perhaps you can help with another issue: as a Group B person I only reosrt to downloading the security patches from the AskWoody page I mentioned above, but there are no MS Office patches. Are those only available via Windows Update?

• #242521 Reply

PKCano
            Da Boss

Office patches are available through Windows Update if you have “Give me updates for other MS products” checked in Windows Update\Change settings\. If the check box is not there, you can open one of the Office programs and look for the option for automatic updates. I believe it may put the check box in WU as well,

Otherwise, you can download them from the Office pages here.

• #242525 Reply

The Surfing Pensioner
              AskWoody Plus

Sorry, PK, your reply was not visible when I submitted mine.

• #242543 Reply

Klaas Vaak
              AskWoody Lounger

@pkcano: many thanks for that. My Windows Update has been broken for more than a year that my WU is broken, so this, together with AB2000003 is most useful.

• #242524 Reply

The Surfing Pensioner
            AskWoody Plus

MS Office patches are available in the Catalog (to which Topic 2000003 gives direct links for the SO patches) but it is much, much easier to install them via Windows Update – I have only installed MO patches from the Catalog when my WU was broken and I temporarily lost the option to get updates for Microsoft products. Just locating them used to do my head in! Why not use WU for your .Net and Office patches, remembering to change the setting back to “Never check for updates” when you’ve finished? It makes life a lot simpler. Happy Christmas!

• #242544 Reply

Klaas Vaak
              AskWoody Lounger

@The Surfing Pensioner: yes, the Catalog is a real pain, I stay away from it. I prefer the AB2000003 page and the Office page as indicated by PKCano.

• #242527 Reply

PKCano
            Da Boss

Sometimes the check box is not available in WU. To get it put there, you have to install one of the MS products (MSE, Silverlight, Office, etc) or initiate it by requesting updates through the products themselves. You can also opt-in to Microsoft Updates (as opposed to Windows Update) – information here.

• #242522 Reply

barcud
      AskWoody Plus

Office patches are available through Windows Update if you have “Give me updates for other MS products” checked in Windows Update\Change settings\. If the check box is not there, you can open one of the Office programs and look for the option for automatic updates. I believe it may put the check box in WU as well, Otherwise, you can download them from the Office pages here.

Agreed, I just set Office 365 to NOT update until I’m ready to accept updates and click update now. Set it back to NOT Update after completion.

Seems to work well.

• #242538 Reply

LTL
        AskWoody Plus

Same here. I’ve Group B’d Office365 for months now and this method does work perfectly.

• #242539 Reply

anonymous

Hi Guys ‘n’ gal/s,

Well, just to keep you all updated re; KB4483187 for IE11.
      I tentatively installed it but struck trouble.
      It installed O.K. BUT….
      when I opened “Computer”, I saw that my “C” drive was still there, but my
      D, G, J & K drives were not showing & checking the “System > System Protection” settings,
      the above were listed as “Missing.”(NB: The G drive holds my WIN10 OS. Dual boot only.)

I tried to un-install the KB4483187 but it did not seem to work.
      I then tried a System Restore but it got “stuck” as well.
      I then chucked my WIN 7 disc in & did a Repair…..it also wanted to do a System Restore, which apparently it did.

Anyway, the bottom line is, my desk top is now functioning O.K. again & all my drives are back.
      All this took about 1 1/2 Hours.
      What a weird one.

Thanks for reading & keep up the good work.
      May you all have a safe & Happy Christmas & New Year.

Regs., Mike..
      (Regs = Regards.)

• #242552 Reply

anonymous

Regarding SSU’s for Windows 7 Pro x64 and Windows 10 Pro x64 V1803, do they have to be manually downloaded and installed firstly before installing the monthly KB’s or will they install themselves if installing monthly KB’s via the Windows Updater?

Has been discussion over this month on both ways, dont see any specific mention within Woody’s update go ahead.

• #242554 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

There is no new SSU for Win7. The last one was issued in October.

The new SSU for Win10 1803 downloads from Windows Update and installs in the proper sequence.

• #242557 Reply

honx
      AskWoody Lounger

Dec 2018 (IE11) KB 4483187 – Download 32-bit or 64-bit (Released 12/19/2018 replaces KB4470199, fixes CVE-2018-8653 Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability)

taken from:
      https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/2000003-ongoing-list-of-group-b-monthly-updates-for-win7-and-8-1/
      does this mean, i don’t have to install KB 4470199? skip this one and install KB 4483187?

only install KB 4471328 (windows 7, group b) and KB 4483187 (ie 11) on windows 7
      and KB 4471322 (windows 8.1, also group b) and KB 4483187 (ie 11) on windows 8.1?
      plus all office 2010 patches, msrt, flash, .net (is there any “important” .net this month?)…

PC: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64bit, Group B
      Notebook: Windows 8.1, 64bit, Group B

• #242563 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

If it says that a patch replaces an earlier patch, that means you DO NOT need the replaced patch. Only the one that replaces it.

Beside the SO and IE11 CU, with the exception of the Monthly Rollup, Group B gets the other patches through Windows Update – whatever is checked.

• #242585 Reply

honx
          AskWoody Lounger

thx, installed 4471328 and 4483187 (ie 11) on win 7, 4471322 and 4483187 (ie 11) on win 8.1; after reboot i installed all checked (important) updates including office 2010 and .net patches. two office patches were not marked as “security update”, only “update” but they were listed as “important” and they were checked so i installed them. this time i did NOT install flash on 8.1, as it was listed as optional and thus it was not checked…

PC: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64bit, Group B
          Notebook: Windows 8.1, 64bit, Group B

• #242574 Reply

anonymous

Windows 7 Pro x64. After updating, I had to completely go through setting up Windows Media Player AGAIN!!! This is 2nd time for this. What gives Microsoft ????????

• #242599 Reply

rick41
        AskWoody Lounger

A few years back this would happen pretty frequently.  But this time is only two months since the last.  That’s annoying.  Fortunately, as I mentioned then, almost all of the old settings seem to be preserved. so it’s a quick fix.

MS-DEFCON 4: With the Win7 Monthly Rollup now working, it’s time to get everything updated

• #243071 Reply

Yup…happened to me too the next time I used Media Player (don’t use it much)… annoying.  This had not happened at any time during the past on this machine.  The “patches” are getting worse, it seems.

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "A/B [negative] :)", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't check for updates-Full Manual Mode."
          --
          "...All the people, all the time..." (Peter Ustinov ad-lib from "Logan's Run")

• #242651 Reply

anonymous

If you were patching SO  or “B” style this wouldn’t have happened.

• #242657 Reply

geekdom
          AskWoody Plus

The rule is that you may patch any style you choose. There are advantages and disadvantages to all patching styles. Patches that fail are not user fault.

Group G{ot backup} Win7Pro · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · TestBeta
          5 users thanked author for this post.
          • #242711 Reply

anonymous

My perspective is there are no rules and secondly you have to take responsibility for every decision you make. Some work our well some not so much but you learn from the process. I always have more questions than answers.

• #242671 Reply

DrBonzo
          AskWoody Lounger

I’m a Group B patcher and the need to reconfigure Media Player has happened to me several times in the last few months. Face it: there is no good way to patch. For me, Group B is the lesser of two evils; for you, maybe it’s not.

7 users thanked author for this post.
          • #242755 Reply

Bill C.
            AskWoody Plus

Same here. Group B and Media Player has launched a number of times after Group B patching asking to be configured. Each time I checked my settings, it appeared nothing was changed, so I saved and closed. But each time there was a nedia player log is my User Name/AppData/Local/Temp folder.

• #242579 Reply

anonymous

December patches kills some wireless dongles, at least on 1803/1809, be aware of that! Constant driver crashes that require reboot.

• #242582 Reply

anonymous

Woody, not to be too picky but regarding the Windows 10 Quality Update recommended delay setting of 15 days – you say with that setting the updates will automatically be there on the 26th. (hopefully “asking” to be installed).

But would’nt that apply only to those updates originally released on Dec 11th?  And the subsequent KB to fix the IE issue released on Dec 19th wont come down until 15 days later or Jan 3rd?

• #243076 Reply

frankus333
        AskWoody Lounger

G’day folks

I am curious about how this timing works as well.  Does the 15 days calculate for any update from its first date of presentation?  Are the updates time stamped, or does the individual computer note and start counting from when it sees each particular update?

Cheers

• #244057 Reply

woody
          Da Boss

The 15 day deferral (if you set it for 15 days) applies to each individual patch.

That’s handy when Microsoft uses the “C” and “D” week patches to test the next month’s non-security patches. But it’s problematic if a later patch is necessary to fix a problem introduced by an earlier patch.

• #244145 Reply

frankus333
            AskWoody Lounger

Thanks Woody

So I take it that means the timing starts in relation to some time stamp that each patch comes with, and not from when a particular machine sees the patch (which could be some significant time after release if the machine was kept switched off for a long time.)?

• #242589 Reply

fl
      AskWoody Lounger

Is it just me, or is there some difficulty downloading KB4483187 (the newer IE11 Security update which replaces KB4470199) for Windows 7 64 bit, from the 2000003 page? The 32 bit version downloads just fine.

Mac Mini v. 6.2 (2012) with Win7 64 bit
      MacBook Pro v. 3.1 (2007) with Win7 32 bit
      Group B Updater

• #242591 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

The links in AKB2000003 are direct downloads from the MS Update Catalog.

• #242592 Reply

fl
          AskWoody Lounger

Yes, it seems to be working again now, and I’ve downloaded it, but for a minute there…
          I was thinking that MS itself might be making changes.

Thanks!

Mac Mini v. 6.2 (2012) with Win7 64 bit
          MacBook Pro v. 3.1 (2007) with Win7 32 bit
          Group B Updater

• #242596 Reply

DrBonzo
            AskWoody Lounger

In the last 24 hours or so my download experience from MS servers has been extremely inconsistent. Sometimes a patch downloads in just a few seconds, sometimes 30 minutes. Several patches did nothing for 10 minutes then downloaded about 60% in a few seconds then slowed way down, then sped up.

• #242594 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

Just finished updating 1 of my W7 Pro x64 computers and all seems well so far. Rebooted ok and no surprises YET.

KB 4483187 (IE 11), KB 4471987 (.net), KB 4471318 (Rollup), and MSRT.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
      4 Win 10 Pro currently 1809 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #242717 Reply

CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

I updated my 2nd W7 Pro desktop with the same aforementioned updates and all seem well there also.

My 1803 computer with an AMD CPU got another KB 4100347 Intel Microcode update, You would think that MS would realize by now that the update is for Intel CPU’s!!

I also got KB 4483234 (which is listed in the Master Patch Watch as a Flash update ??) which brought me up to 17134.472. Obviously not a Flash update.

• #242718 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

KB4483234 is a CU that was released to take care of CVE-2018-8653 (vulnerabliity in IE, not Flash). Since it was rated as “Security,” it was pushed through WU out-of-band, more or less.

• #242723 Reply

b
            AskWoody Plus

It’s confusing that the first four patches listed on the Master Patch List are all mislabeled twice each.

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #242679 Reply

fernlady
      AskWoody Lounger

I just finished installing:

kb4483187, restarted and waited 15 minutes
      kb4471318, kb890830 restarted and waited 15 minutes
      kb4471987 no restart required but I restarted anyway

So far all is ok.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 AMD Group A Realtek PCLe GBE Family Controller

• #242681 Reply

deuce120
      AskWoody Plus

Group ‘A’ patches installed okay here on a Windows 7 machine.

I did fall for the world is falling concerning the IE11 patch. Installed it, thought better of it and uninstalled it, all before a reboot. Upon reboot, the machine didn’t know which way was up as it hung on ‘Configuring Updates’. A hard reboot cured that (lucky me). Another reason it pays not to seek and to check out the ‘Defcon’ status before installing any updates.

• #242703 Reply

anonymous

Regarding .NET Framework Updates for December for W7 Group B 64-bit:

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between KB 4471981 (S.O.) and KB 4471987 (Rollup)? Does the former contain telemetry, for example?

In Windows Updates I’m only offered KB 4471987, but I would like to install KB 4471981 (S.O.). In Microsoft Update catalog, it lists 5 items under the download for KB 4471981. Do I need them all? Thanks.

• #242708 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

The .NET Rollups/SO  patches are “bundles” which contain separate updates for each version of .NET installed on your computer. That is why you see multiple patches in the download from the Catalog. The individual patches have different KB numbers than the Rollups/SOs. It is difficult to determine which of the patches you need for each computer.

The recommendation for Group B patching is to install the .NET updates through Windows Update because that mechanism will install the correct ones. The .NET patches are not considered to be part of the Group B telemetry avoidance.

• #242714 Reply

DrBonzo
        AskWoody Lounger

I’m a Group B patcher and I do what PKCano describes above. Installing the Rollups from Windows Update is just a lot simpler and I’ve never had any problems with them. I’ve been doing that for the last year and a half or so (of course, you should still pay attention to the DEFCON number, and from time to time a Rollup will get pulled by MS, so when I say I’ve never had a problem with the Rollups, it’s with those qualifiers).

If you really want to do the SO patches, you have 2 options, the way I see it:

1) Determine all the versions of .NET you have on your computer (Google how to do this if you don’t know how) and then only download and install those patches that are applicable to your .NET versions.

2) download all the patches you find from the Update Catalog and try to install each of them. If a patch isn’t applicable to your system you’ll get a pop-up box saying something to that effect (perhaps just a statement that the patch could not be installed)

I used to do some combination of 1) and 2) back when I was using a computer with a non-functioning Windows Update. It was a bit tedious but not all that bad.

• #242736 Reply

RetiredGeek
      AskWoody MVP

Hey Y’all,

Just got done updating my production machine 1803 with the Dec. quality updates w/o issue:

Dec-Quality-Updates

Also my TEST 1809 machine w/o issue:

1809DecQualityUpdates

I must have been a good boy last year…

ROTFLOL-BlueShoes

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
      Computer Specs

Attachments:
      • #242777 Reply

CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

RG,

I noticed that you didn’t get KB 4100347 (Intel Microcode) update. I am on an AMD processor and have gotten it twice on 1803. Just curious why you’re so special 🙂

• #242731 Reply

shorty22
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi.  I’m new to membership, but have been reading anonymously for ages, all the way back to Windows Secrets.

I have been ill and not able to touch my computer for 8 months or so.  I am back to kicking butt and need to update my Win7 Pro.  The last thing I did was uninstall all updates prior to Jan 1 2018 per our brilliant patch lady. Then I got sick and as a result I haven’t been on the computer and need to patche for a whole year. (Would like to do cumulative updates.  Not quite a security updates only kinda woman.

Yes, I am your worst nightmare come to haunt you for the new year.  Is there anything I must install before proceeding?  I’ve uninstalled vmware in the hopes I’ll not have a NIC problem.

Will be content if someone could direct me to any prior postings from Woody or you guys in the know which will result in me being up to date.

Interestingly,  I have the following showing to install  KB4483187 (cumulative sec. update for IE); KB4471987 (.net sec & quality rollup); KB4471318 (sec.monthly quality rollup); KB4054530) .net framework); KB2952664 (is this the one not to install cause it’s a win10 thing…? and finally KB890830) Malicious removal tool.

I feel really awful coming here with such a long problem so seriously can understand if someone just says “go and read every relevant post and you’ll figure it out.  Be kind.  The naughty list starts today. (rolls my eyes) Oh and I will NEVER allow myself to be in this situation again.  I normally read this site like the Bible or GRRM’s of Song of Fire & Ice books. [when IS that next book coming out?)

Thanks very much,

Marie  (sorry for the length).

Thanks very much from Marie
      Win7 Pro 64 bit (holdin on for life)
      8Gg Ram
      i5

• #242745 Reply

Elly
        AskWoody MVP

@shorty22-

Glad that you have registered! If updating your Windows 7 Pro was going to be as awful as you fear, I’d direct you to the Support Forum… Instead, if you follow the steps in Woody’s linked ComputerWorld article in his initial post, above, you should be fine. That is one of the benefits of Group A updating (using the Monthly Quality and Security Updates)- just applying the most recent patch should bring you up to date. Another plus, is that all the problems with patches that led to the recommendation to roll back, have been pretty much solved. So updating should work without introducing dire problems. You should back up before updating, just in case, as it is cheap insurance.

KB2952664 (is this the one not to install cause it’s a win10 thing…?

KB2952664 has long been avoided, not because of W10, but because it is related to telemetry, and so many of us find telemetry less than acceptable. It’s functions have been rolled into the Monthly Quality and Security Updates… More good news- We still have AKB 2000007: Turning off the worst Win7 and 8.1 snooping. (which you might want to review) but we also have 2000012: How To Neutralize Telemetry and Sustain Windows 7 and 8.1 Monthly Rollup Model..

One caution… when following the steps given for Windows 7 Group A updating, do not skip any of the steps in 2000004: How to apply the Win7 and 8.1 Monthly Rollups. @mrbrian spent a lot of time testing, and found out that because Group A has Windows Update set to “Never check for updates (not recommended),” they (and Group B, too) were missing servicing stack updates, and step “A5 Wash, Rinse, Repeat” was added to Group A updating to address it. Servicing Stack updates only show up in Window’s Update once all other updates are either installed or hidden… and would be installed automatically if Window’s Update was set on automatic. They do not contain telemetry, and really should be installed. I apologize, because I’ve had my own health challenges, and I can’t remember exactly… but you may run into the Monthly Quality and Security Update failing to install… and that may be because the Servicing Stack isn’t updated, and it might be easiest to do that manually. So don’t get worried if that happens. Just report back here for that particular step. Read Windows 7 and 8.1 might be missing updates if don’t hide unwanted updates for more detailed information on the Servicing Stack updates.

Happy Updating!

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• #242811 Reply

CADesertRat
          AskWoody Plus

Elly,

KB 2952664 still shows up when I check for updates so I’m not sure that it is rolled into the Quality rollups yet.

• #242813 Reply

PKCano
            Da Boss

KB2952664 functionality was rolled into the 2018-09 Preview Rollup and the 2018-10 Monthly Rollup.

• #242821 Reply

CADesertRat
              AskWoody Plus

Interesting, since I have all current/past Rollups installed but still see KB 2952664 offered and checked every time I run WU on my W7 Pro computers and uncheck it. But then/again I still get the Intel Microcode updates for my AMD CPU on W10 Pro. Go figure LOL.

• #242823 Reply

PKCano
              Da Boss

You keep seeing it because the Rollups do no supersede it. What you are seeing is the last version of it.  Just hide it and it won’t come back.

• #243230 Reply

walker
              AskWoody Lounger

@pkcano:    I had a message ready to send, and I must have hit the “wrong key”, because it just disappeared.   I have been in ill health for so long that I intend to try to get the only updates I’m showing installed (or other action taken).

I am Windows 7, Home Premium, Group A, no sophisticated programs.

Here are the “three” updates I’m showing (Important & checked):

KB4483187  Cumulative S.U. for IE for Win 7, x64, pub. 12-19  (2018-12)

KB4471987   Security & Q. Rollup for .NET  pub. 12-11-18  (2018-12)

KB4471318  Sec. Mo. Quality Rollup Win7 for x64  pub. 12-11-18  (2018-12)

Your guidance with these 3 updates would be a “life-saver” for me since I have gotten so far behind.   With vision problems it makes it even more difficult.  Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.    You have always been one of our BRIGHTEST STARS and I sincerely thank you for all of the assistance you have provided.

• #243234 Reply

PKCano
              Da Boss

You can install all three of those. You should be up to date after that.

• #243728 Reply

shorty22
          AskWoody Lounger

@elly

Elly, Elly, Elly. So quick and so thorough! Thank you very much for your post. My company is FINALLY leaving tomorrow and as much as I love them, I’ll be looking for some peace and quiet and delicious leftovers in the Instant Pot. Yum.

I plan to follow your instructions to the “T” and will likely give ‘er on Friday or Saturday.

Once again, thanks very much Elly. Happy New Year to one and all.

Marie (fingers crossed)
          and………….. of course I think I clicked the wrong place for this reply, so I hope you see it, Elly.

Thanks very much from Marie
          Win7 Pro 64 bit (holdin on for life)
          8Gg Ram
          i5

• #242771 Reply

dgreen
      AskWoody Lounger

Windows update reporting in:

Installed KB4471318 (roll up)
      waited 15 minutes
      Installed KB4471987 (.net roll up)

did not install:
      Kb4483187 (IE update 12/19)
      My gut told me not to. Just didn’t have a good feeling about it.
      Deceided to wait until the January rollup which I am sure it will be included.

2 things I noticed with the updates is that it took forever to search for updates, which was very unusual.
      The rollup which was over 200 mb took hardly any time at all to download and install.
      I’m talking it only took a couple of minutes, which is totally unusual!!!
      I had to check my “installed” updates to make sure it went through.
      It did.
      Had to reset Windows Media Player like others have reported.

Dell Inspiron 660 (new hard drive installed and Windows 7 reloaded Nov. 2017)
      Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP 1  GROUP A
      Processor:  Intel i3-3240 (ivy bridge 3rd generation)
      chipset Intel (R) 7 series/C216
      chipset family SATA AHCI Controller -1 E02
      NIC Realtek PCLE GBE Family Controller
      MSE antivirus
      Chrome browser

• #243346 Reply

walker
        AskWoody Lounger

@pkcanoThank you, thank you, thank you!!!!  It is such a Godsend to have help from you, who possess so much expertise and knowledge, you are a REAL “Lifesaver”, and I cannot adequately describe my admiration, and gratitude for the wonderful help you provide for me, and everyone else on this Forum.   God Bless You!!   🙂

• #242773 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks to everyone for reporting patch successes and failures. The reports make patching easier for everyone — rather like road signs, but for computers.

Blind curve.
      Slow.
      Construction ahead.
      Bridge out.
      Detour.

• #242801 Reply

AJNorth
      AskWoody Plus

Five Win 7 Pro and three Win 8.1 Pro (all x64) were patched with the Dec 2018 “Group B” patches on 20 DEC 2018 (KB4471328 & KB4483187 and KB4471322 & KB4483187, respectively); their .NET Security & Quality Rollups were installed on 24 DEC 2018 (KB4471987 & KB4471989, respectively).

No adverse issues have been reported.

• #242830 Reply

SueW
      AskWoody Plus

Another checking in (after updating last night):

1 – imaged my disk with Macrium Reflect

2 – downloaded Updates KB4471328 (Dec. SO) and KB4483187 (IE11 Dec. Cumulative)

3 – installed each Update and then rebooted; waited 15 minutes

4 – checked “Windows Update” => 7 Important: 4 Office 2010 (all checked) and 3 Win 7 (all checked); 0 Optional

5 – unchecked and hid “Important” update KB4471318 (Dec. Rollup)

6 – checked “Windows Update” again => 6 Important: 4 Office 2010 and 2 Win 7: all checked; 0 Optional

7 – unhid 0 hidden updates to install

8 – installed 6 Updates: 4 Office 2010 (KB4461577, KB4461570, KB4461576 and KB4461521); Dec. S&QR for .NET (KB4471987); and MSRT (KB890830)

9 – rebooted; waited 45 minutes (until the hard drive light stopped flashing)

Note: needed to reconfigure Windows Media Player again

Many thanks to Woody, PKCano, and everyone else here who contributes in helping us maintain our own systems!

Win 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit; Office 2010; Group B; Former 'Tech Weenie'

• #242854 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

Well, I guess the Windows 10 upgrade from 1709 to 1803 still isn’t fixed. Unblocked that on one system (a HP laptop, W10 Pro) today and… sure enough, it upgraded but lost some drivers. Including external graphic outputs (happens more often than not it seems with the 18xx versions?), fortunately the laptop builtin screen worked but…

Yes, it was supposed to be the Dec 21 variant of the 1803 feature update going in, but looks like it reported as 17134.1 (yes, .1 !) afterwards.

This’ll be a whole lot of bother to fix for the end users, we were expecting to not have to visit every desk but… so far not looking good. 1607 to 1703 and 1703 to 1709 were fairly painless compared to this.

• #242852 Reply

anonymous

Windows 7 SP1 64bit, with Broadcom network card. Group B.

Installed December’s updates; IE KB4470199, SO KB4471328 and .NET 3.5.1 KB4470600.

From the catalog; Installed IE KB4470199, SO KB4471328 2nd, .NET 3.5.1 KB4470600 3rd and MSRT 4th. Will install IE KB4483187 after the dust settles.

Installed one at a time. Rebooted in between each update letting it sit 1 minute after update was installed.

No network issues. No oddities (worked very well).

Rebooted 3 times and let it sit for several minutes.

I would recommend people on the last reboot to go to the desktop and let it sit 45 to 60 minutes to Process Idle Tasks and let the trusted installer (as per PKCano) do its thing.

No Problems.

Thanks to all here.

• #242898 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

Windows 7 SP1 64bit, with Broadcom network card. Group B. Installed December’s updates; IE KB4470199, SO KB4471328 and .NET 3.5.1 KB4470600. From the catalog; Installed IE KB4470199, SO KB4471328 2nd, .NET 3.5.1 KB4470600 3rd and MSRT 4th. Will install IE KB4483187 after the dust settles…

KB4470199 was superseded by KB4483187. I too am Group B Win7 x64. I installed KB4483187 without any issues.

• #243157 Reply

anonymous

Windows 7 SP1 64bit, with Broadcom network card. Group B.

update:

Installed December’s updates; IE KB4470199, SO KB4471328 and .NET 3.5.1 KB4470600 a few days ago.

Now installed IE KB4483187.

No problem seen. IE opens, pages load.

• #242869 Reply

SueW
      AskWoody Plus

Will install IE KB4483187 after the dust settles.

Glad everything looks good.  However, you might not want to wait until “after the dust settles.”  KB4483187 was released on 12/19 to replace KB4470199, the IE update you just installed . . .

• #242881 Reply

anonymous

Hello SueW. Thank you, but I know I installed the Dec 7th update. It was done on purpose. The newer Dec 19th IE update had some issues reported here at woodys and I am waiting a day or two longer for any new issues to arise and be seen/posted by others.

I will get the KB4483187, but later and it will then be installed “last” so a rollback can be performed if it causes problems for me.

Thanks to all.

• #242892 Reply

SueW
          AskWoody Plus

You’re welcome, anon.  I can understand your waiting; however, my reading is that it was the first update (KB4470199) that caused potential issues, and the second (KB4483187) that resolved them.  I haven’t read any reports of issues with KB4483187.

See this post – #241301 – by PKCano.

• #242895 Reply

anonymous

Hello again SueW. I hope you are right. The following posts here made me hold off for another few days on KB4483187. 242422, 242435, 242539.

Thank you again.
            Windows 7 64 bit Group B

• #242875 Reply

anonymous

A question, did the Media Player bug get fixed? (I believe it was related to the search bar iirc)

• #242879 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

See #242574 and the next few posts.

• #242888 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

Yes; fixed for 1607, 1703, 1709, 1803, 1809 by updates on December 11:

Addresses an issue that may prevent the use of the Seek Bar in Windows Media Player when playing specific files.

• #242891 Reply

DrBonzo
          AskWoody Lounger

Well, I would take that with a large grain of salt or a lump of coal. There is a statement identical to the one @b referenced immediately above on the support pages for both the Dec Win 7 Rollup and SO. And yet, for the large handful of Win 7 machines I’ve patched in the last few days, none had a broken seek bar before or after patch installation and ALL needed a configuration settings reset after the SO installation. The configuration reset is becoming par for the course in recent months. That’s not my definition of “fixed”. I haven’t checked Webster’s Unabridged yet, but I bet Webster and I are in agreement.

• #242947 Reply

anonymous

In my case, I run a Win7 Home Premium machine and use Media Player with K Lite Codec pack installed, will I need to re-install it after I update?

• #242998 Reply

SueW
              AskWoody Plus

If you’ve been reading some of our earlier comments, you’ll only need to reconfigure Media Player, not reinstall it.  And that’s assuming you encounter this issue.

• #243019 Reply

DrBonzo
              AskWoody Lounger

I don’t know much about audio stuff, so all I can say is this: All the machines I patched were standard brands (HP, Dell, Asus, etc.) with what I would call standard audio cards, speakers, etc. (no special codecs). After installing the SO, the first time I opened Media Player, I was greeted with a screen that said ‘Welcome to Windows Media Player. Configure your settings.’ (That’s not a direct quote, but the message was to that effect.) Below that were 2 buttons, one for a standard configuration and one for custom. I chose standard in every instance and Media Player, after a few moments, came up looking like it had before the patch installation.

Anyway, I’d be pretty surprised if you had to reinstall either Media Player or the Codec, but you might have to use the custom settings option.

Good Luck.

• #242905 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Plus

Hi everyone,

My computers are Windows 7 x64 Group B. My computers are now fully patched through December 2018. I had been holding at updates through August 2018. I do things in steps so that I can subsequently identify what caused any issues. Here is how I got updated through December 2018 without encountering any issues, and in the order in which I did them (after making backups of my OS partitions):

.NET Framework…

Why do I update .NET first, whenever I decide to update .NET? Because this is the easiest one to for sure recover from since uninstalling .NET completely removes .NET from your computer. Yet you definitely must have the offline .NET installation packages available on your computer. For example, I keep the major .NET base installation package versions on my computer (3.5 which came with Win7, 3.5SP1, 4.5.2, 4.6.2 and 4.7.2) for re-installation if required. Note that 4.6.2 and above removes the 260 character path limit in Windows, but only does so for Windows itself and not for any third party programs which install their own low level I/O drivers. This is an important caveat which you should keep in mind when using third party programs. Note that the major backup programs are not affected since they use their own techniques to get around this Windows issue.

1. I finally decided to bite the bullet and upgrade .NET from 4.6.2 to 4.7.2. There are important security enhancements in 4.7.2, just as there are important security enhancements in 4.6.2 versus 4.5.2. I should have upgraded to 4.7.2 back in July or August since 4.7.2 seems to have performance improvements. Or maybe this is wishful thinking. Anyway, the upshot is that everyone should now upgrade to .NET 4.7.2, if you have not already done so, and then install the 2018-12 update for .NET. It appears that Microsoft has finally fixed some outstanding bugs in .NET 4.7.2. with their December update for .NET.

2. Before installing 4.7.2, you should manually install KB4019990 which installs the d3dcompiler.dll which apparently is now required for all .NET above 4.5.x. Microsoft now states that the d3dcompiler.dll is required for .NET 4.6.0 and above. I ran KB4019990 to confirm that I already had it installed. Do the same. Please make sure that KB4019990 is installed, even if your installed version of .NET is less than 4.6.0. Having KB4019990 installed will make sure that you can successfully upgrade to the .NET 4.6.X or 4.7.X versions.

3. Then I installed .NET 4.7.2 by manually installing KB4054530. After installing KB4054530, I then installed the 2018-12 .NET updates (KB4471987) via Windows Update. All previously hidden earlier .NET updates in Windows Update disappeared after rebooting my computers.

IE…

Why do I update IE next, if I choose to update IE? Because if after updating IE, and if the update is so buggy that even System Restore doesn’t fix things, then at least I didn’t waste my time installing Security Only rollups for Windows, only to belatedly realize that I have to perform a restore from my offline OS backup if uninstalling the IE update didn’t fix things.

1. The last time I installed IE’s cumulative updates was back in June 2018 since updates after June seemed to have issues. I never use IE, so I was in no rush to update IE until now.

2. I manually downloaded and installed the 2018-12 IE security only update KB4483187. This update installed without any issues. If you encounter issues with trying to install KB4483187 (failed installation) or any other future IE updates, please try temporarily disabling IE’s Protected Mode, and then try installing the IE update again. Remember to re-enable Protected Mode after KB4483187 is successfully installed. All you need to know is that this usually works (it has for me at least twice in the past).

Windows 7 Group B Security Only Updates…

Why do I install Windows OS updates last? I think that I have explained my logic for this, above.

1. In order to take advantage of supersedence, first I installed the 2012-12 security only rollup KB4483187, and rebooted. Remember that supersedence can and will address bugs in earlier updates — as in preventing the bugs from occurring. **

2. Then I consecutively installed the September through November security only rollups, one by one, and without rebooting. I rebooted only after these updates were consecutively installed. This worked like a charm in terms of avoiding any potential issues. The reboot actually was surprisingly quick in terms of Windows configuring the updates.

** A good example of supersedence preventing a bug from occurring…

— Install the June 2017 KB4022722 update first, and reboot, before sequentially installing the April 2017 KB4015546 update and then the May 2017 KB4019263 update.

Why do the above if you reinstall Windows? Because this take advantage of supersedence in order to completely get around the issue in which Microsoft inadvertently blocked Windows Update for some older CPUs, which Microsoft finally fixed in the June 2017 update. I really need to post my numbered list of update installation order and the required reboots. The list will go all the way back to July 2016 when Microsoft began their [awful] update rollup mess.

Best regards,

–GTP

• #242972 Reply

anonymous

Reporting in:

Win 7 Home Premium x64
      Full backup
      KB4471987 (Net) installed OK.
      KB4471318 (December Security Rollup) installed but trashed the WMP configuration settings.
      KB4483187 (IE11) held over until I have a warmer feeling.
      Both updates took their time to download and install – more than 30 minutes apiece.
      All seems good at the moment…

• #242986 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

You are not the only one to report problems with the Catalog downloads. The SOs have been coming down as 8MB files that don’t work for many.

• #243032 Reply

Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

This is why I only do Security Only Updates.  I don’t want MS fooling around with my Media Player and I certainly don’t want them deciding that I need a new driver for anything.  I’ll get the drivers as, if, and when I actually need them.

Win 7 Home Premium, x64, Intel i3-2120 3.3GHz, Groups B & L

• #243035 Reply

DrBonzo
          AskWoody Lounger

Sorry to break this to you but I also do nothing but SO updates on a large handful of Win 7 Pro x64 sp1 machines and I almost always have to reconfigure Media Player. For me, it’s not a big deal since I almost always use the standard or default configuration settings. Just because I’ve had to reconfigure doesn’t mean you will, but you should know the possibility exists even with SO patches.

• #243067 Reply

rick41
            AskWoody Lounger

I have a number of WMP non-default settings and filetype associations, and the *only* one that is ever changed by a WU-induced configure request is — ta-da — how often to check for WMP updates.  It takes under 2 minutes getting back to where I was before the WU, with most of that time being in recreating my WMP shortcut for the QuickLaunch.

• #243052 Reply

anonymous

? says:

have the updates changed the CEIP setting in the WMP? i haven’t opened it since i don’t use it…

https://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-customer-experience-improvement-program-in-windows-media-player/

and here under Other Microsoft Applications:

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/10/26/turn-off-the-windows-customer-experience-program/

• #243135 Reply

SueW
        AskWoody Plus

Thank you for the suggestion, anon!  I just checked, and the CEIP setting in WMP is [still] not checked.

• #243080 Reply

frankus333
      AskWoody Lounger

G’day folks

I was able to successfully Group A update a HP15 laptop with Win 8.1, and a Toshiba laptop with Win 7 (both 64 bit) with all December WU patches and Office 365 patches, but my old 32 bit Dell Dimension 4600 desktop completed the .NET update and then just stalled after trying to install the December MSRT.  I restarted and tried again, and it completed the other 2 WU updates but marked the MSRT as failed.  I could not find the MSRT in the list of updates to remove (unsurprisingly), but it would not appear as an option in WU anymore, to download again.

Is there any way for me to get it back?  Does it really matter that much?

• #243082 Reply

geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

MSRT is anti-virus update and doesn’t uninstall. If you want to run MSRT, download and save from the link shown below.

“Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) helps keep Windows computers free from prevalent malware. MSRT finds and removes threats and reverses the changes made by these threats. MSRT is generally released monthly as part of Windows Update or as a standalone tool available here for download.”
        https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/malicious-software-removal-tool-details.aspx

• #243155 Reply

rick41
        AskWoody Lounger

What exactly do you mean by “just stalled?” If it’s that the the machine just seemed stuck on some sort of Configuring Windows message, you really should have waited — a long time.  See my post linked to below, about a situation where an update that installed quickly on two of my Win 7 computers required 55 minutes to finish on my third Win 7 computer (with a Configuring Windows screen staring at me almost the whole time):

MS-DEFCON 4: With the Win7 Monthly Rollup now working, it’s time to get everything updated

As for a remedy for your current situation, if geekdom’s suggestion doesn’t work you could try a system restore back to before the update process was started, and try again.

• #243159 Reply

frankus333
          AskWoody Lounger

Thanks geekdom.  That option is good to know.  Next time I am in that machine I will check it out.

Thanks rick41.  Sorry about my quick vague post.  The updating process seemed to just stop after the first update was complete, while it was apparently attempting the MSRT update.  I assume this because when I cancelled the updating and rebooted and checked for installed updates it showed the first update as successful and the MSRT as failed.  There was an error code (can’t remember what it was and I’m not at home now), which did not show anything specific to MSRT in a google search.

Before cancelling and rebooting I had waited for at least half an hour, maybe more (not sure exactly as I was doing the other two machines at the same time).  I also checked the task manager, and it showed the WU process as running, but the actual process CPU time was almost non-existent, showing 0% most of the time.  The machine had not locked up, and seemed to be working normally.   In the past just clicking in and out of various open windows would jolt things into responding again, but not this time, and I assumed the updating had just stopped.

If manually running MSRT as above doesn’t work, I won’t bother with System Restore, as my past experience (in XP days) was that it would usually come back telling me it could not restore to the point I wanted anyway.  I’m happy to wait until next month’s version of MSRT.

• #243559 Reply

frankus333
            AskWoody Lounger

G’day again folks

Just successfully Group A updated a eeePC 1000H 32 bit Win 7 notebook without any stalls on MSRT.  It hadn’t been used/updated since mid year, and the 5 updates selected apparently installed without problems.

The above MSRT problem on my old Dell desktop showed error code 80024001E when it failed, but as indicated above I could not find any specific details about this error; only general details about WU update problems.  I will wait for the January MSRT to see what happens.

• #243561 Reply

The Surfing Pensioner
              AskWoody Plus

I have just installed December’s patches and my machine also failed to install MSRT, which must be a first. However, I had noticed that the patch initially offered showed up as just over 8 MB, which seemed remarkably small. A subsequent search located a MSRT of identical KB but sized at 43 MB. This installed quite successfully, as per usual. I assume that the first MSRT patch was incomplete, hence the initial failure. I also assumed that the error (I’m afraid I didn’t make a note of the eror code) was not the responsibility of my PC, but of MS. Maybe they’ve got server problems?

• #243713 Reply

Irene
              AskWoody Plus

Mine would not install either, or failed.  I looked it up in the catalog, but there were 2 listed for Dec. Win 10 and I couldn’t determine which–could not find 64-bit, so I skipped it.

• #243589 Reply

Microfix
              Da Boss

You can prevent WU from even using/ downloading MSRT, if you wish, by applying the following to the registry:
              After typing REGEDIT in the run box, navigate to
              [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT]
              Create a new 32bit dword
              DontOfferThroughWUAU
              Give it a value of 1
              After that, you won’t be bothered with MSRT again and I’ve certainly not missed it 😉

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #243136 Reply

jburk07
      AskWoody Plus

Reporting in:
      Group A, Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Intel Ivy Bridge and
      Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 Intel Arrandale:

Installed the rollup KB4471318, .NET KB4471987, and IE KB4481387 updates separately, with reboots in between, without problems.

Also installed the Office 2010 and 2013 patches and haven’t seen any problems so far.
      All telemetry-mitigation settings are still intact, unchanged after the updates.

Thanks to Woody, Patch Lady, PKCano and the other MVPs, and everyone who posted results and comments for helping us get through another round of patching. Here’s hoping for a Happy New Year for us all.

Group A Win7 x64 Home Premium SP1 Ivy Bridge

• #243137 Reply

anonymous

After installing all checked updates on my W7 Pro x64 notebook I got offered with KB3177467, dated from october 9th… What does it do? And should it be applied?

• #243140 Reply

Kirsty
        Da Boss

You really should have taken the time to search for KB 3177467 before posting your question – it has already been answered frequently here. See this one, which explains it’s a servicing stack update.

• #243245 Reply

anonymous

Actually I did search… But couldn’t find the asnwer to why a stack service update was offered to me AFTER the whole bunch of updates and that is why I asked what was that for and whether I should or not apply it… Which I still haven’t done…

• #243248 Reply

PKCano
            Da Boss

The Servicing Stack was offered to you AFTER the other updates because it has to be installed exclusively, in other words, by itself ALONE. As long as there is ANY OTHER update in the important update queue, it will not appear. So the other updates showed up and were installed then it showed up.

Why does it happen that way? Well consider Microsoft’s updates are, in a couple of words, messed up. So, you still need that update. Install it NOW, while it’s alone, before the next Patch Tuesday and it disappears again until AFTER the others are installed.

• #243209 Reply

Blizzard
      AskWoody Lounger

Finished updates yesterday on my reliable old dog HP dc7900 SFF:

Group A, Win7 Pro 32-bit Intel Wolfdale Core2 Duo E8400 w 2GB ddr2:

Did full image then run WU and found 4 Important items offered up with check-marks.

Installed KB4471318, KB4471987, KB4481387 and MSRT separately, with reboots and TrustedInstaller monitoring in between each of the four.  I did note that Susan Bradley marked the .NET update as a “Hold for now,” but I decided to go for it based on others who have done so without issue.

I have not yet taken steps to adjust telemetry-mitigation settings, but will be doing so for the first time after I evaluate PC stability post-updates.  Only thing I noticed was a one-time nearly 5 minute screen going black today and then eventually returning to the living while I was browsing with Firefox.  I just let it percolate and it finally recovered.  If this continues, I may undo some of the updates.  I couldn’t get PC to respond to CNT-ALT-DEL during this “blackout” oddity.

Sending my appreciation to Woody, Susan Bradley, PKCano and the other MVPs and Loungers who take the time to share.   All the best to each of you in 2019!

• #243250 Reply

Cybertooth
      AskWoody Lounger

Would someone be so kind as to take a look at this post and see what’s up with KB4483187. I had originally posted the question in this thread (after all, this is the thread for December patching), but it got moved over there and no one has replied, as it is currently a significantly less active thread than the one we are in.

Thanks.

• #243253 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

To answer your question, KB4470199 is the original Patch Tuesday update. It is the official release. As such, it remains on the list.
        KB 4483187 is an out-of-band update, in this case to fix a vulnerability. Out of band updates may replace the Patch Tuesday releases, but they may (or may not) supersede them. There is a difference. That being said, the out-of-band updates also remain on the list.

• #243266 Reply

Cybertooth
          AskWoody Lounger

Hmmm… what, then, is the recommended procedure in this case? I can think of two possibilities:

1. Install 4470199 and then 4483187; or
          2. Ignore 4470199 and go directly to installing 4483187?

• #243288 Reply

PKCano
            Da Boss

In this case, you only need 4483187, because as @paulk says it supersedes 4470199.

• #243271 Reply

PaulK
          AskWoody Lounger

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20181219/ — states that 4483187 supersedes 4470199 for the various applicable combinations of IE9/10/11 @ Windows 7/8.1/10/Servers @ 32/x64/RT.

Top of list / scroll about 2/3 down / bottom of list.
          Restart required.

See also the Known issues here, for 8.1 and one Server system.

I did my December Windows 7 updates on 12/25, and was offered/installed only 4483187 (for the IE update).

• #243372 Reply

anonymous

@YP Win7 group B updated to Nov & will do Dec this weekend.

Like most of the win7 users here, I’m careful with updating and trying to figure out what to do at EOL.  Well, I bought a refurbish Dell two weeks ago with Win10 Home on it.

System is:

icore 5 [5th generation, I believe]; 8Gb Memory; 256Gb SSD; touch-screen.  I noticed the keyboard is flaky; but I only paid $400 with tax.

Anyways, I blew away the OS and installed Xubuntu 18, basically Xfce desktop.  I just installed virtual box with Win10 10 Pro V1803.  I just changed defer options following instructions from previous postings here.

This is what I have learn thus far with a Linux OS running Windows 10 in VM:

Basically, Xubuntu is host OS, while Win10 pro is guess OS.

– I got shared folders working between linux/host and windows/guess.

– I was unable to get usb to work.  When I plug in a device, windows does not recognize the device.  Yes, I did install the extension pack.  Obviously, I need to do some more testing.  Realistically, I can live without usb in windows, as long as shared folders work.

– I tried Xubuntu/host and Xubuntu/guess.  I was not successful in getting shared folders to work.

Linux requires patience.  Basic thing like labeling a flash drive is much easier in windows.  On linux, you have to use terminal commands.

We have some experience linux users on this forum; they can offer their opinions.  Any suggestions on getting usb to work with Window as guess?

Edit: Please see the topic here to continue with this issue.

• #243376 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Linux questions will be off-topic here. This thread is about December patches for Windows.

There is a Linux Forum on AskWoody. If you create a topic in that Forum you can get your questions answered there. We have a rather large Linux group with lots of experience.

• #243378 Reply

MrToad28
      AskWoody Lounger

As a Windows 7 user who never uses IE, why should I do the update to IE? Is it a security risk if I don’t use it? The only important update this month is: 2018-12 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based systems (KB4483187)

• #243379 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Even if you don’t use IE as your browser, it is an integral part of the Operating System and other parts of the Windows OS use it. So, it you do not patch it, you leave your system vulnerable.

• #243384 Reply

rick41
          AskWoody Lounger

Yeah, I’ve sometimes wondered what proportion of Windows 7 and earlier-version users are aware of that integration.  In fact, I’ve sometimes forgotten about it myself until I see files opened locally in my Computer lumped into IE history…or remember that Start/Run Autocomplete is toggled on/off via an IE setting.

On a related note, what happens if you “turn off” IE in “Turn Windows features on and off?”  Will you still get offered the security update?  Again, confusion.  Also, is Edge an integral part of Windows 10?  Or is that OS finally, fully browser-divorced?

• #243385 Reply

PKCano
            Da Boss

I believe you still get the updates it you turn off IE in Windows Features, because it only limits your access in the GUI, and not the access of the system and other programs that use it.

Edge is not integrated into the Win10 system like IE is.

• #243391 Reply

anonymous

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, Group B

Finally bit the bullet to do December 2018 updates before the New Year:

Downloaded kb4471328-x64 and kb4483187-x64 off of 2000003: Ongoing list of “Group B” monthly updates for Win7 and 8.1 by @pkcano.

First installed KB 4471328. After installation and clicking restart, for the first time ever, my screen showed “configuring windows update… do not turn off your computer” continuously for 20 minutes. No percentage of completion, nothing. Usually this phase only lasts less than 10 seconds. I then manually shut down computer. I waited 15 minutes, turned it back on and it immediately went into the desktop showing the same phrase “configuring windows update… do not turn off your computer”. I waited another 30 minutes, manually shut down the computer and waited 30 minutes. It went into desktop with same phrase, but then began showing percentage amounts of completion, went through normal cycle, and completed installation. I checked ‘Update history’ and the installation was successful. Waited 30 minutes. Breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Then installed kb4483187-x64. Not a hitch. In fact, so easy, it was peasy! Waited 30 minutes.

Checked Windows updates for any further KB’s. Only one important one showed up. It was ‘Security and Quality Rollup for .NET, KB4471987’ and it was checked. It installed without a problem. Waited 10 minutes. Checked Windows update once more. Nothing! Oh, had to redo the Media Player Settings to ‘recommended’. All Done. Happy New Years one and all!!

• #243407 Reply

rick41
        AskWoody Lounger

Glad it worked out!  But had you just waited longer the first time — up to two, or even three hours — it’s likely your “stuck” installation would have eventually completed.

A couple months ago, after the updates had gone smoothly on two of my Windows 7 computers, I ended up at an apparently “stuck” “configuring” screen on the third computer.  But I read about how it can sometimes take up to hours to finish.  After nearly an hour I was ready to force-close anyway, when — sure enough — it finally started counting percentage completion, quickly finished and rebooted, with all updates successful.

• #243449 Reply

anonymous

Good advice. Thanks so much. Happy New Years!

• #243695 Reply

Irene
      AskWoody Plus

Once again I need help–and I thought this time updating would be easy.

Windows 10 Home, version 1709 -64 bit last updated with Nov. Updates in early December when we got Woody’s go ahead.

I only installed the 1709 cumulative update and the servicing stack, along with MSRT and the Adobe stuff.

This time I did not receive any cumulative update again for 1709.  Just stuff PK Cano  has said I do not need so I hid all of those and at that time ver. 1803.

I decided to download MSRT and then install 1803 from windows update.  I did my system images, and restore points.  I unhid (exposed) MRST and 1803.

When I downloaded 1803 it had an issue, so I downloaded and ran the troubleshooter tool for updates.  I took it off advanced so I had control over what was done.  After it ran It said the problems were fixed.  I downloaded 1803–it went through the preparing to download, then downloading, and then installing.  At 100% a big, rectangular blue sign came up saying something about their spiffy new updates and asked did I want to snooze, restart or delay.  I had never seen that sign before, so I hit snooze.  Then I manually restarted the computer.  It only restarted.  It didn’t go through the long period of stating things like don’t turn off your computer and all the other stuff the new versions say when installing.  It restarted fairly quickly much to my surprise.  I was suspicious, and so checked the version and it said it was version 1709!

I did the whole routine again including the trouble shooter.  It went through all three stages of preparing, downloading, and installing again.  The restart was the same–I still have 1709.  1803 was still ready to install according to the wushowhide .  I hid it for the night.  I had not extra usb items plugged in.  I did have my Malwarebytes and TrendMicro on.  Because all steps seemed to do what they were supposed to do, prepare, download, install I didn’t think they were the problem.

What can I do?  Do I really still have all of 1709–I don’t know what preparing for installation means?  Can I do something to fix this issue of not being able to download 1803?  If I go to the catalogue, do I need a servicing stack?

OR

Should I try to do the cumulative update for my version of 1709–KB4471329 and the Servicing Stack KB4477136 from the catalogue? (I think those are correct because I was not offered them, but tried to look them up)

I am really stumped here.  Would someone please send me a link of what to do that a not computer savvy or a novice can do, or help me out directly.  Would a system restore do anything for me if I have one for before I began wasting all of yesterday?

Thank you ahead of time!

PS.  I have my manual Restore Points from before and during all this and those that correlate with my System Images.

I believe I removed the Update Assistant quite a while ago because I did not want it forcing upgrades upon me.  I don’t know if that is an issue or not.

• #243715 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

I downloaded 1803–it went through the preparing to download, then downloading, and then installing. At 100% a big, rectangular blue sign came up saying something about their spiffy new updates and asked did I want to snooze, restart or delay. I had never seen that sign before, so I hit snooze.

Snooze is for three days, so when it reappears click on Restart now instead:

The “snooze” capability allows you to pause the update process completely for three days when you need uninterrupted time on your device.
        Providing customers with more choice and control

• #243717 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

It sure would be nice if it explained that on the screen instead of off on a link you can’t get to because the thing that pops up freezes the computer so you can’t do anything else. “Pause install for three days” would at least let someone know what to expect (Snooze???).

I ran into that same thing yesterday upgrading 1709n to 1803 – had done several upgrades before and it was new to me. Didn’t have any idea how to get out of it without clicking on one of MS’s three choices (and I’m sorry, but I don’t trust MS enough to believe ANY of their choices won’t be a “gotcha”) or holding in the power button till it shut down. And I’m not your average user – I have a rudimentary technical background.

• #243736 Reply

PaulK
            AskWoody Lounger

Rudimentary (def.): < twenty-two years.

• #243737 Reply

Microfix
              Da Boss

and the rest, in PKCano’s technical background

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #243809 Reply

Irene
            AskWoody Plus

Dear PK Cano, “I don’t trust MS enough to believe ANY of their choices won’t be a “gotcha”

See my reply above.  (Edit:  weird, my reply to b  .If it doesn’t I will need to re-post something similar)  You are so correct on this one!  I’m surprised I didn’t see anything on this, not that I spend a lot of my spare time on this nonsense now that I have predominantly moved to a Mac book and Ipad.

So many people around me, not professionally, but in my friends and acquaintances group have all had their updates turned off way back when the windows 10 campaign was started.  A few had to get a Windows 10, but it is too much for them to deal with.  I keep warning them they need to update and make sure they have protection, but they cannot deal with it.  MS is not going to be luring any of them with their ease of maintenance these days!.

• #243820 Reply

Irene
          AskWoody Plus

Dear b,  Thank you for the reply.  That link you provided came out in 2017?  Why has there been no confusion about The Snooze?  I haven’t seen a thing.  The longest snooze I’ve ever run into was 10 minutes on an alarm clock, not 3 days.  MS and Windows is never convenient and it won’t be in 3 days either!  I thought they were trying to install 1809 because I had just downloaded 1803.  Who can trust them?  I just love opacity.

I did write you a long reply, but it disappeared into virtual space.  I’ll be brief–A 3 Day Snooze?  Are they nuts?  They don’t even put an asterisk by it and then define below it.  I have never seen that before and have done 3 new versions since it came out.

What happens to the 1803 that was un-hidden (exposed) after I went through all that nonsense 3 times?  Now that I have hidden 1803, will it still install when done snoozing?  Will it go away from behind the hide screen?

• #244132 Reply

anonymous

Win 7 SP1 x64 Office 2010 x64

I am being offered the following Office Updates…4227172 and 4461579

Are these safe to install?

Thanks!

• #244134 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

According to the Master Patch List (button in the bar at the top of the blog) the answer is “Yes”

• #244135 Reply

b
          AskWoody Plus

The second one says “Hold for now”.

• #244136 Reply

anonymous

Thanks PKCano!

Checking the Master Patch List…

Office 2010 – 4227172 is “Yes”

Office 2010 – 4461579 is “Hold for Now”

Do I still install both?

• #244139 Reply

PKCano
            Da Boss

If Susan’s list says hold, then hold. She does the testing and she’s the expert.
            Remember to check back – they are listed by the month.

• #244152 Reply

anonymous

For win 7 group B machine which was last patched with June 2018 updates, other than following the order in the AKB2000003 list, is there anything particular to downoad, avoid or to watch out for?

In 2000003, when it says a particular KB replaces another one, does it mean that I should only install the replacement? Or should I install both?

For example:
      Jul 2018 KB 4338823
      Jul 2018 KB 4345459 (released 7/16/2018, replaces KB 4338823, fixes 0xD1 error, W3SVC, tcpip.sys)

Dec 2018 (IE11) KB 4483187 (Released 12/19/2018 replaces KB4470199, fixes CVE-2018-8653 Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability)

For the IE11 patch, as it iscumulative, I should only be installing the latest one, which is from Dec 2018. Is that correct?

• #244156 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

You will need to download the Servicing Stack from the Catalog and install it manually before you install the other patches. KB3177467 dated 10/8/2018

In 2000003, when it says a particular KB replaces another one, does it mean that I should only install the replacement?

Yes, you only need the replacement.

For the IE11 patch, as it iscumulative, I should only be installing the latest one, which is from Dec 2018. Is that correct?

Since the IE patch is cumulative, you only need the latest one.

• #244595 Reply

anonymous

Windows 7 Home Premium x64. KB4471987 gets stuck on “Preparing to configure” with no noticeable disk action. I gave it 30 minutes before applying a restore point. KB4019990 is installed. Does it need more time or is there another reason? Could Sophos be conflicting with it?

Also wondering whether the IE update could just be ignored if I don’t use IE?

• #244597 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

We have had scattered reports of problems with KB4471987, but no consistent descriptions of the symptoms. I have installed it on all of my Win7/8.1 machines with no problems.

From my personal experience, one of the things I know it does is reset some of the settings to MS defaults, specifically, in my case, under Internet Options/Security/Trusted Sites. When I reset them to the Custom settings, the AV (McAfee End Point) didn’t like the changes. So it MAY/MIGHT/COULD possibly your Sophos that caused the hangup.

If you want to try again, I would suggest temporarily turning off Sophos during the install. If it hangs again for 30 minutes, try a reboot and see if it has actually installed not giving the “finished” type message or  if it failed with an error code that might give a clue. (If you want to fool with it)

The fixes KB4471987 provides will be included in the Jan 2019 Updates (Monthly Rollup or IE11 Cumulative) in three days (Jan Patch Tuesday).

• #244728 Reply

rick41
        AskWoody Lounger

Give it up to two hours, even if it looks like nothing is happening.  Based on info I found Googling that’s what I did with one of my similarly “stuck” Windows 7 updates a couple months ago.  The same update had installed promptly on my other two Win 7 computers.  Just as I was preparing to abort at the one-hour point — especially given no evidence of disk activity — it suddenly “came to life” and finished the installation.  After the reboot it confirmed a successful installation.

• #244699 Reply

anonymous

Apologies for being off topic, but has anyone seen or heard anything further about this? https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-to-throw-windows-10-home-users-an-automatic-update-bone/

• #244733 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

The ability for Windows 10 Home to pause all updates for 7 days was only noticed in Insider Preview Fast Ring Build 18309 (19H1) four days ago, and was not announced by Microsoft. So it could reach non-Insider Home users in version 19H1 in about three months (or it could be a beta build bug).

There is much misinformation on many sites about the possibility of it being increased to 30 (or even 35!) days when it reaches the masses; but I think that’s just confusion between pausing and deferring, so in my opinion that’s most unlikely.

• #244830 Reply

b
          AskWoody Plus

There is much misinformation on many sites about the possibility of it being increased to 30 (or even 35!) days when it reaches the masses; but I think that’s just confusion between pausing and deferring, so in my opinion that’s most unlikely.

I was wrong about 35 days, which IS the correct maximum for pausing updates in non-Insider Pro/Enterprise. So it could be up to 35 days for Home users in 19H1, IF this was an intentional but unannounced change by Microsoft in build 18309.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: MS-DEFCON 4: Time to get December patches installed

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel