News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • MS fixes the bug that causes a looooong delay in starting Internet Explorer

Home Forums AskWoody blog MS fixes the bug that causes a looooong delay in starting Internet Explorer

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  wavy 1 month ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

From four hours ago: On August 16, 2019 at 7:16 AM a server required for downloading the Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) startup page, went down. As a res
      [See the full post at: MS fixes the bug that causes a looooong delay in starting Internet Explorer]

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1909288 Reply

abbodi86
      AskWoody_MVP

All browsers should be set to about:blank start page 🙂

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1909296 Reply

anonymous

?says:

all browsers running on WINDOWS?

• #1909322 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

Either about:blank, or to google.com since the latter almost never goes down and since if you can reach google.com, then you know that your Internet connection is alive and well.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1909390 Reply

Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

I use a custom local home.html file that has links to a bunch of my most-used sites.  Been doing that since before Firefox existed– the Mozilla Suite had an HTML editor as one of its bits, and that made it easy to edit the file.  The bookmarks are kind of a kitchen junk drawer… everything goes in there.  The most used pages get a place in home.html or in the bookmarks toolbar.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.16.5).

• #1909392 Reply

Sinclair
        AskWoody Lounger

My IE browser “Windows 7” is set to about:blank but still had the long delay startup. Even though it is set at that apparently IE still talks to the Microsoft servers on startup. Now that they added a server side fix IE ones again starts up without a delay.

Other parts of the browser may also talk to the Microsoft servers like the version check. If that goes through the same servers then that might have also caused the delay.

I use IE for just a few things, anything else is done with Firefox.

W7 x64 Pro&Home

• #1910203 Reply

anonymous

I’m using Firefox as well and can not update until Symantec/MS fix that SHA-2 only code signing issue in Symantec’s security software. it’s still DEFCON 2.

• #1911605 Reply

Anton Karlan

My IE browser “Windows 7” is set to about:blank but still had the long delay startup. Even though it is set at that apparently IE still talks to the Microsoft servers on startup. Now that they added a server side fix IE ones again starts up without a delay.

Same here, but delay anyway.

• #1911675 Reply
    • #1909324 Reply

Noel Carboni
      AskWoody_MVP

“Oops, we screwed up our server. But our latest update just happens to be immune to that problem – man, what a lucky coincidence! See, that’s why you really need our latest updates…”

They must have legions of smart folks in the “Lemons to Lemonade Department”.

-Noel

• #1909347 Reply

juzuo
      AskWoody Lounger

1709?

Microsoft’s release order logic for these patches-of-patches is baffling to say the least. It often seem to be ‘last comes first’, though not always.

Anyway, I’m betting that we who are brave enough to use 1903 will have to wait again until the last week of the month. Just another ‘reward’ for using ‘latest and greatest’.

Thanks again, Microsoft.

• #1912302 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

the Mozilla Suite had an HTML editor

Darn I still recall spending a good amount of time looking for that, ‘Well I know it’s here someplace’ The beginning of the end for Netscape or was it Firefox already ?

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: MS fixes the bug that causes a looooong delay in starting Internet Explorer

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.