News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • MS MBAM ends mainstream but no replacement?

Posted on 1EarEngineer Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Admin IT Lounge MS MBAM ends mainstream but no replacement?

Topic Resolution: Not Resolved

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by

NetDef 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

1EarEngineer
      AskWoody Plus

Currently have MBAM 2.5 SP1 deployed across our organization and came across the following document stating that Mbam was going end of mainstream support THIS july. However, I have yet to find any some of real replacement being offered from Microsoft that does was MBAM does; Centrally manage, report, recover and secure the keys.

Enterprises can use Microsoft BitLocker Administration and Monitoring (MBAM) to manage client computers with BitLocker that are domain-joined on-premises until mainstream support ends in July 2019 or they can receive extended support until July 2024. Thus, over the next few years, a good strategy for enterprises will be to plan and move to cloud-based management for BitLocker. Refer to the PowerShell examples to see how to store recovery keys in Azure Active Directory (Azure AD).

If all we wanted was to store the keys in AD/Azure AD, we wouldn’t have bothered implementing MBAM. We could use inTune, but again, doesn’t offer the same experience.

Has anyone else found a viable alternative? What are you using instead?

• #343652 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Your topic got caught in the spambucket on too fast submit/edit/submit. Slow down and give the system time to catch up. 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #343653 Reply

1EarEngineer
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks, was trying to get the tags working. Got it sorted now

• #343726 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

A number of security software vendors offer BitLocker management too.

Sophos Central comes to mind for one… but you probably wanted a non-cloud product?

• #343817 Reply

anonymous

just a note but your MBAM is very similar to Malwarebytes exe. I saw this and thought that Malwarebytes was ending support!

5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #343924 Reply

1EarEngineer
        AskWoody Plus

was hoping to avoid the confusion by adding MS before it and the tags.

• #343925 Reply

1EarEngineer
      AskWoody Plus

A number of security software vendors offer BitLocker management too. Sophos Central comes to mind for one… but you probably wanted a non-cloud product?

Cloud or Non-cloud doesn’t matter, just looking further than storing the key. Looking for a true MBAM replacement. Not a bitlocker key management solution.

Do you have experience with Sophos Central?

• #343967 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Well, more than with MBAM.

It is a fairly comprehensive solution if you get all the parts. You get policy-based management and monitoring for a lot of things including encryption, with a self-service delegation option.

Cross-platform with Macs too.

Too bad that on Windows it’s only BitLocker and doesn’t even recognize VeraCrypt, for those Windows 7 non-E* and 10 Home clients…

• #1749586 Reply

HarryH3
      AskWoody Lounger

I think the real answer is hiding in plain sight in that bit from Microsoft:  “plan and move to cloud-based management for BitLocker. Refer to the PowerShell examples to see how to store recovery keys in Azure Active Directory (Azure AD).”

The skeptic in me sees it as yet another phase in the Microsoft March To The Cloud (I.e., get paid in perpetuity for Azure, instead of just once every few years for on-premise solutions).  🙁

I’ve read that they also plan to end providing local installs of Office after Office 2019 and only offer Office 365 (another paid in perpetuity solution).  I wonder how long it will be before “the version of Windows ever” migrates to a subscription plan?

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1759742 Reply

Lugh
        AskWoody_MVP

The skeptic in me sees it as yet another phase in the Microsoft March To The Cloud

Don’t be skeptical. MS has an easy choice: go cloud-centric, or go out of business next decade. Same choice as all other businesses, although more urgent for tech biz.

MS missed the mobile boat. If they missed cloud too, then they wouldn’t deserve a seat at the table.

I’ve read that they also plan to end providing local installs of Office after Office 2019 and only offer Office 365

Correct.

I wonder how long it will be before “the version of Windows ever” migrates to a subscription plan?

Not long, if they plan for Windows to remain a profit generator. Subscription has huge advantages for a company, even if the revenue per seat is less than discrete sales—as is the case for Office 365 in many cases.

However, they may not plan on Windows remaining a profit generator long-term. Rather, it could serve as the ‘chassis’ for the raft of services they should be planning to offer to the world—that’s where the future huge revenue opportunities will be.

Lugh.
        ~
        Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
        i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #1759751 Reply

NetDef
          AskWoody_MVP

It’s begun for the SMB market. Microsoft 365 is now live and is offered as an upgrade from existing Office 365 seats. Includes Windows 10 (looks like ENT) and Office 365 suite. And of course Exchange based email, Onedrive for Business, Sharepoint, Teams and a bunch of lessor goodies.

The benefit is access to much smaller seat pools for Windows 10 ENT. Azure based management. Advanced security. Etc.

But the cost works out to about a three year break-even from retail stand alone prices. This term seems to be in common with other big software brands that have moved entirely to subscription models such as AutoDesk and Adobe.

~ Group "Weekend" ~

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: MS MBAM ends mainstream but no replacement?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.