News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • MS Outlook & Gmail

Posted on hdkeney Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        hdkeney
        AskWoody Plus

My friend just got a new computer with windows 10 and Microsoft 365 productivity software.  I am trying to help him get up and going, but I am not having much luck with  MS Outlook.

1)      How can he have MS Outlook get copies of the e-mails he gets in the gmail account that he receives on his Samsung Android phone?

2)      If we can do 1) above, will he have a copy of the e-mail in both his desktop MS Outlook App and on his phone also?

3)      If he deletes an e-mail in either MS Outlook or his cell phone, will it also delete it from the  other devices e-mail account, or are each controlled independently?

4)      If he creates an e-mail in one device, will it appear on the other device also?

As you can tell by my questions, I don’t know what I am doing, so I would appreciate any help you can provide concerning this problem because I have not been able to make this happen and I was told it could be done.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and cooperation.

Sincerely,

Howard D. Keney

Moderator note: Personal information (address, email, phone) removed for security reasons.

• #2296562 Reply
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

) How can he have MS Outlook get copies of the e-mails he gets in the gmail account that he receives on his Samsung Android phone?

Is this “online” Outlook, local application on a PC, local application on the phone, or what exactly?

There’s a specific instruction page for exactly this at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/add-a-gmail-account-to-outlook-70191667-9c52-4581-990e-e30318c2c081?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us covering the latest versions of Outlook on Windows and Mac.

Another page has information on doing this for Outlook on Android, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/set-up-email-in-the-outlook-for-android-app-886db551-8dfa-4fd5-b835-f8e532091872

For older versions of Outlook (don’t remember the cutoff point for 365, should’ve been a while ago though), Gmail can be set to allow IMAP, standalone Outlook can do that since pretty much forever.

IMAP is not on in Gmail by default, see https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en on how to enable it. That page also lists the server addresses you need to configure client-side, meaning into Outlook (if it doesn’t recognize them based on a @gmail.com address).

The detailed instructions for these older versions of Outlook are at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/add-an-email-account-to-outlook-6e27792a-9267-4aa4-8bb6-c84ef146101b – follow the directions for the IMAP-type account.

)2) If we can do 1) above, will he have a copy of the e-mail in both his desktop MS Outlook App and on his phone also?

Yes, by default at least the latest mails. Older might not be synchronized so might not be available when offline.

)3) If he deletes an e-mail in either MS Outlook or his cell phone, will it also delete it from the other devices e-mail account, or are each controlled independently?

It should, eventually, depending on sync settings.

Also Outlook can have local-only folders, if you move a message to one of those it’s deleted from the server and so from other clients too on next sync.

Deleting a message on one client and moving the same message to other folder on another client “simultaneously” (between sync runs, so one of them just after takeoff on a long flight and the other just prior to landing is simultaneous enough) can cause weird things to happen sometimes.

)4) If he creates an e-mail in one device, will it appear on the other device also?

Yes, on subsequent sync runs, assuming drafts, sent mails etc. are also synced to server. IIRC this was on by default but not sure, and it can be turned off.

• #2296574 Reply
        ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

Only one other thing to mention is that Gmail regards Outlook (in my case 2010) as “insecure”.  You cannot use your Gmail account password in Outlook long-term, but will have to generate a “more secure” password in Gmail, and cut-and-paste that into your Outlook password field.

See this link in Google: sign-in using app passwords

Hope that helps.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: MS Outlook & Gmail

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.