News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • MS Store apps fail install & updates and a Win 10 odd file creation error

Posted on TechTango Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 MS Store apps fail install & updates and a Win 10 odd file creation error

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        TechTango
        AskWoody Plus

Before I do clean install of Win 10 Pro 20H2 to fix an issue on a laptop, I am outlining the problem hoping the savvy bunch at AskWoody will know a simple fix.

The problem first got my attention when the Microsoft Store started throwing error code 0x80073D0A when updating or install MS Store apps. My biggest (100gb) MS Store app is Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 but updating or installing *any* MS store app (free or paid) threw the same error code. However, turns out it is not just MS Store apps.

As I was creating a boot USB stick with Win 10 20H2 via MS Media Creation Tool on this same machine for a clean install I had a surprising issue that I think is related to the same one causing the MS Store update and install error. Here is what happened.

Having used the MS Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) I know the routine. Once the choices for building at USB boot stick (not a CD ISO) are made, the web site displays the “Getting Things Ready” message. Once done, you then designate the destination USB drive on which you want the install media created. A few seconds after the destination drive selection, a progress bar appears, and the USB stick file creation begins.

HOWEVER, this time after selecting the destination drive, I got an endless spinning cursor and no progress bar. The OS could not write files, and this is the exact point where the MS Store app updates/installs fail. (They download but will not update, install, or “finalize”.) Only way out was with Task Manager “end task). I tried again with same results.

I then switched to another laptop and created the USB boot stick without issue. All was normal. The MS Store functions normally as well.

Everything else on the problem laptop is working perfectly. Browser speedtests and surfing are normal including downloading files with all my browsers (Chrome/Brave/Firefox). I also use a legacy stock and futures trading software platform (Tradestation) that is reading and writing to disk constantly without issues.

*Main steps already tried*
        Reset the MS Store app three times from an admin cmd window. Changed DNS providers twice. Turned off Wi-Fi and tested with hard wire ethernet cable. Ran the “sfc /scannow” command in an admin cmd window. I did extensive drive cleanups and registry checks. Nothing has worked. I also enabled the hidden admin user acct and the MS Store won’t even load in the hidden admin user. This seems odd.

All suggestions welcome and sincere thanks.

Clevo/Sager laptop Windows 10 Pro 20H2 OS build 19042.685  (New June 2019)
        – 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9750H Processor
        – 17.3″ Full HD 1080p 144Hz
        – NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 GPU 8GB GDDR6 Video Memory (Max-Q design)
        – 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 SDRAM at 2666MHz – 2 X 8GB
        – 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
        – 500GB WD Blue SATA3 Solid State Disk Drive
        – Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 9560 M.2 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Sounds like an issue with Windows Installer (trusted installer).
        You can probably suss it out eventually, or you could restore a known good image or re-install “keeping existing data”.

cheers, Paul

TechTango
        AskWoody Plus

Sounds like an issue with Windows Installer (trusted installer).
        You can probably suss it out eventually, or you could restore a known good image or re-install “keeping existing data”.

cheers, Paul

Good thought.  I’ll check it out.  Thank you Paul.

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: MS Store apps fail install & updates and a Win 10 odd file creation error

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.