News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • MS Update Kerfuffle AGAIN

Posted on Cee Arr Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
        Cee Arr
        AskWoody Plus

This morning I checked Settings – Update Options were as I had set them – see screen shot.  I then went to Windows Security to check Virus and Threat Protection  BOOM and for the third time MS changed my Advanced Options see screen shot by a) clearing out all my hidden updates, b) clearing my Wushohide list and c) putting a resume updates date in Update Options. I am on W10 Pro 1909  OS Build 18363.1139.Something is definitely amiss here. Is it possible MS use ‘check’ for virus definitions as an open sesame for all updates???  I find this to be annoyingly impossible and totally stupid. Is this a game MS are playing to force updates?  Why does it have to be this difficult?

13Nov2020

MS-UpdatesAGAIN

Update-Setting-1

Attachments:
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2313333 Reply
        DriftyDonN
        AskWoody Plus

It appears to me that you reset the pause calendar so now you can get 35 days from now…that can be a GOOD thing!

• #2313346 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Paused won’t show any updates to download. How did you get that screen?

I’m assuming because you hit the download button you effectively un-pause, which would explain your settings.

cheers, Paul

• #2313400 Reply
        Cee Arr
        AskWoody Plus

DrifftyDonN –  I reset absolutely nothing.  I DO NOT use the pause option as I have gpedit setting in place as per PK Cano. Thanks for your input.  Paul T  I never hit the download button – thanks anyway. This is the third time this has occured without any help from me, and believe me, with PK’s help I’m getting quite good at resolving this problem.  I just wish it would cease and desist.  I used PKs advice from the previous such instance and once again have things back to the way I originally set them. See screen shot……

Attachments:
        • #2313418 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

There are two things that pop out for me:

Perhaps what you think is a “check for virus definition updates” is really in essence a “check for updates.” That might reset your settings. But that doesn’t explain the date part.

Second, you should go through the settings in Group Policy in both Windows Update and Windows Update for Business and be absolutely sure you don’t have any unknown settings there that are causing the problem. I have seen no indication on my Win10s that the GP settings are not respected if set right. These settings are ones that businesses rely on to control their environment and I find it strange that MS would violate them (not saying it’s impossible).

• #2313568 Reply
          DriftyDonN
          AskWoody Plus

In your first set of screen shots, the second one showed updates paused until 29nov. the next screen shot had no date and was informing you that you could pause up to 35 days. I think checking for updates thru defender security reset you back to zero if you so choose to use pause feature. The fact that you were informed that your updates were paused until 29Nov seemed to show you had used PAUSE.

I am not saying that without a doubt you used pause, only what appeared to be a pause in use due to the 29nov info.

I used to use pause and there are a couple of ways to to reset to zero without downlaod and install. I had no intention of offending. just an observation from your posts.

Glad you found the answer to your question.

• #2313423 Reply
        Cee Arr
        AskWoody Plus

PK Cano thanks for your valuable input once again. I’ve double checked Group Policy Windows Update – the same as your settings, and Windows Update for Business – nothing configured. However, your opening “Perhaps” paragraph made me think of the following as a possible culprit – could this be it?

VirusThreatProUpdates

Attachments:
      • #2313429 Reply
        Cee Arr
        AskWoody Plus

PS the screen shot came from Settings, Update and Security, Windows Security and Virus and Threat Protection.

• #2313430 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

You gotta watch MS. They’re sneaky!!!

• #2313435 Reply
        Cee Arr
        AskWoody Plus

That’s putting it politely.  Virus threat and protection obviously doesn’t mean exactly what it says.  I find MS’s terminology hopelessly misleading, confusing and, to put it bluntly, deceitful and less than one would expect from a company as supposedly as ethical as they portend to be.  So the bottom line is to keep well away from that part of Settings as well.  What is the safest way to update MS Windows Security Definitions?

• #2313440 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

I think Defender will update itself outside of Windows Update if you leave the Quality deferral = 0. Or if it is the only thing in the WU queue, and you have the “2” set in GP, you can click on the Download button.

Once you move to v2004, it may be best to leave the “2” in place, Quality deferral = 0, and move to TargetReleaseVersion setting. Instructions are in AKB2000016.

• #2313520 Reply
        anonymous

For about 4 — 6 months, I have been using Win Updates Disabler, freeware which was mentioned by someone else on this site. It, together with some manual hacks I made to HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\wuauserv, have given me some control and predictability over Win updates, for my Win10Pro machine. YMMV. Make registry backups before doing anything.

Viewing 7 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: MS Update Kerfuffle AGAIN

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.