News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • MS Windows Based script host and Windows Defender Smartscreen

Posted on MileHighFlyer Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1809 – September 2018 Update MS Windows Based script host and Windows Defender Smartscreen

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

Paul T 5 days, 21 hours ago.

• Author

MileHighFlyer
      AskWoody Plus

Microsoft Windows Based Script Host (32bit) and Windows Defender Smartscreen

According to Task Manager, the 2 programmes above use quite a bit of my
      CPU, and Power Usage is “Very High”, so the temperatures increase and the fan
      works a lot harder.
      Is there some way to safely disable them, or is that not advisable. I imagine
      they could be stopped in Task Manager using End Task, but should I?
      It seems to be only very recently this has started happening, possibly after
      an update?

I can’t find Windows Defender anywhere except for Windows Defender Firewall,
      not even doing a Search.

My computer is an HP Laptop with Win 10, SSD, and 8 memory and is only about 3 months old.

Cheers, Keith.

• #341844 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

“Windows Based Script Host” is the process that runs scripts in Windows. It could be that a script is running that calls Defender – maybe for updates.
      Try stopping “Windows Based Script Host” via TaskManager and see if defender also goes away.

Ultimately you may have to wait for those processes to finish.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: MS Windows Based script host and Windows Defender Smartscreen

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.