News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • MS Word and Google Docs now play nicely together

Posted on Tracey Capen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog MS Word and Google Docs now play nicely together

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 month ago.

• Author

Tracey Capen
      AskWoody MVP

PRODUCTIVITY By Lance Whitney Just because you need to edit and share documents with someone who uses Google Docs doesn’t mean you have to renounce Wo
      [See the full post at: MS Word and Google Docs now play nicely together]

• #1912331 Reply

42FuzzTer
      AskWoody Plus

Very helpful article!

I have used Word to create a Google Doc (containing useful information and numerous links assembled over 7 years) and I give the Copied Link to select people for the purposes of viewing only. Although they cannot edit it or comment on it, is there a way to prevent people from copying the text and saving it, with the risk that someone might edit it and use it for nefarious purposes (i.e., fake information)? I’ve tested this with friends, and no matter what I do, they can always copy and save it, and hence I’ve lost potential control over the contents.

• #1912402 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

You’re basically caught.

There used to be a “burn after reading/no copy” setting in Word, but as I recall it didn’t work very well.

• #1913239 Reply

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody_MVP

You could convert the document to PDF format. And not the editable type of PDF, but rather an image with no editable text. (Think of a fax in PDF format – no editable text whatsoever, it’s just an image.)

Print the document to PDF. If the text is editable, then print the PDF to PDF. Make sure the final product that you send to someone is in fact an image and not editable text.

Keep in mind that if someone really wants to be able to edit an image of a document, they can run it through some good OCR software, which will “reverse engineer” the document back into an editable format. There aren’t very many people who will do that, but you need to be aware that it is possible.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    • #1914253 Reply

anonymous

Thanks for the feedback. I will give the pdf a try, but your OCR point makes sense.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: MS Word and Google Docs now play nicely together

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.