• Msconfig Startup Selection Reverts from Normal to Selective Startup

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 11 » Windows 11 version 21H2 – Original release » Msconfig Startup Selection Reverts from Normal to Selective Startup

Author
    Topic

My PC: Win 11 Home 21H2 Build 22000.795 on Dell XPS17 64 bit 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz.

When I run msconfig, in General – Startup Selection there are three choices:

• Normal Startup – load all device drivers and services.
    • Diagnostic Startup – load basic devices and services only.
    • Selective Startup – load system services and load startup items are checked; use original boot configuration is checked but grayed out (cannot be changed).

On my PC, Selective Startup is the one that is checked.  I presume this is the way the PC came from Dell.  To my knowledge, I’ve done nothing to change from Normal Startup to Selective Startup.  Nor do I know if Normal Startup is preferable.

So, I searched the Internet and found this Microsoft Support page titled “The Msconfig Startup Selection Reverts from Normal to Selective Startup”.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/the-msconfig-startup-selection-reverts-from-normal-to-selective-startup-4b506ba7-961e-8d4f-4bf0-51a0a98aaf56#:~:text=You%20can%20select%20the%20Normal,when%20you%20restart%20your%20computer.

On that page Microsoft says:

Cause

The Normal startup option reverts to Selective startup if you select any of the options in the Advanced Troubleshooting Settings dialog box in Msconfig.

Resolution

To use the Normal startup option, clear all of the check boxes in the Advanced Troubleshooting Settings dialog box.

Status

This behavior is by design.

Unfortunately, I cannot find an Advanced Troubleshooting Settings Dialog Box anywhere.  I did go into Settings – System – Troubleshoot and found that my Troubleshooter preferences are “Ask me before running”.

My PC is running just fine with Selective Startup.  My inclination is to leave it that way.  Is there a reason I should consider switching to Normal Startup?

Thanks.

Paul

Viewing 5 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I’ve complained to Microsoft about the misleading wording of that page before.

There is an Advanced options button on the Boot tab of msconfig. Anything selected there?

Windows 11 Pro version 22H2 build 22621.607 +Microsoft 365 +Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.

The only thing checked in msconfig Advanced Options is Global Debug Settings – Debug Port 1394, and that is grayed out.  I can’t change it.  See attached capture.

Advanced options on boot tab of msconfig

Unchecking any service on the Services tab of msconfig immediately causes it to switch from normal to selective. Anything unchecked there?

Windows 11 Pro version 22H2 build 22621.607 +Microsoft 365 +Edge

Did you unchecked Fast Startup ?

Paul I think that occurs anytime you disable a startup item or service – even if you delete the entry. Pretty sure all of our machines are selective startup.

Never Say Never

Paul I think that occurs anytime you disable a startup item or service – even if you delete the entry. Pretty sure all of our machines are selective startup.

Correct!

If you disable even just one service or Microsoft required startup item, it’ll always show Selective Startup.

Every service in Msconfig – Services is marked with a check (nothing disabled).

Fast startup is on.  Control Panel – Power Options – Choose What the Power Buttons Do – Turn on Fast Startup is checked and, in fact, greyed out (I cannot change it).

Based on comments above (for which I thank you) it seems that Selective Startup is not a problem, even if I cannot figure out why my PC is Selective Startup rather than Normal Startup.  Since my PC is running well, I think the best course of action is to leave well enough alone.

Two things:

1. OP is on Windows 11.
        2. I have Windows 10 Pro 21H2 with fast startup disabled on a ASUS TUF laptop. I have not manipulated msconfig settings and my msconfig General Startup selection shows Normal Startup. So fast startup doesn’t appear to affect msconfig.

Regards, Phil

2 users thanked author for this post.

Hi Paul:

The General tab of System Configuration (msconfig) shows my Dell Inspiron / Win 10 Pro v21H2 machine uses Selective startup, but the Boot tab indicates this is likely because I have Macrium Reflect Free installed. When I created my Macrium rescue media (e.g., a bootable USB thumb drive) as instructed <here> I also added the Macrium Reflect rescue environment to my Windows boot menu.  Now when I boot up my computer I see a screen with a 10 second countdown that allows me to boot normally into Windows (the default) or enter the Macrium Reflect recovery environment directly without having to boot up from my USB thumb drive.

Win-10-v21H2-msconfig-Boot-Tab-Macrium-Reflect-System-Recovery-20-Aug-2022

Do you know if there’s any software on your Dell XPS / Win 11 machine that might have modified your Window boot menu? If you have Dell SupportAssist Remediation (a.k.a.  Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery) installed, for example, I wonder if that’s enough to change the Startup type on the General tab of mscofig from Normal to Selective.
      ———-
      Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1889 * Firefox v103.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2205.7-1.1.19500.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.13.208-1.0.1740 * Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.6.0 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6867

Viewing 5 reply threads
    Reply To: Msconfig Startup Selection Reverts from Normal to Selective Startup

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: