News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• MSFT PC Health-Check KB5005463

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » MSFT PC Health-Check KB5005463

• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Author
    Topic

Report in from Lawrence Abrams over on Bleeping Computer (thanks) that microsoft has begun force installing the PC Health Check application on Windows 10 devices using a new improved KB5005463 update from the deathstar.

If your not concerned about it post away, if however, you don’t want this, see below or within the linked article itself:

To prevent KB5005463 from installing if not previously installed:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PCHealthCheck]
    “installed”=dword:00000001

And OR

Prevent from re-installing if previously removed:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PCHC]
    “PreviousUninstall”=dword:00000001

| Quality over Quantity |
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

To prevent KB5005463 from installing

But KB5005463 has more fixes than just PC health so why kill the whole update ?

You can prevent installation by using WUmgr to hide…

Probably because of this part:

However, readers have told BleepingComputer that they have had to uninstall the application numerous times as the applications keep being reinstalled on the next check for updates.

To make matters worse, when attempting to uninstall KB5005463, Windows 10 states that the update is not installed, when that is clearly untrue, as shown in the image below.

If people are clicking on “check for updates” it will pull it back down.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

It should not, as uninstalling the app sets “PreviousUninstall” in the registry which has been found to prevent reinstallation in practice:

Well, I can only report what this user has found. PC Health Check was installed by KB5005463 on 25th October and I promptly uninstalled it.

Since then I have repeatedly checked for updates. Other updates have downloaded and installed, but PC Health Check did not.

I have check my Registry and I do have that DWORD that’s supposed to prevent it reappearing, so it looks like I should never see it again.

Is possible to remove PC Health? [Post #8 at TenForums.com]

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1387 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

@Alex5723:

I had to hide the KB5005463 update from being offered thru WU by using wushowhide.diagcab or wumgr/WUMT because it was issued to my dad’s Toshiba Satellite 2013 laptop which is ineligible for Win11 due to having no TPM (it does have UEFI & secure boot) and using an AMD A6-5200 APU (no AMD A6 series APUs/CPUs are supported in Win11)

@b
      – yes, adding that “PreviousUninstall” reg hack also prevents KB5005463 from being issued thru WU as I have recently done this onto the Toshiba laptop which does not meet all the Win11 hardware requirements, including the outdated onboard AMD A6 APU/CPU

don’t know why KB5005463 still gets offered to some PCs that don’t really meet some or all the Win11 hardware requirements, like with my dad’s Toshiba AMD based Satellite laptop.

1 user thanked author for this post.

don’t know why KB5005463 still gets offered to some PCs that don’t really meet some or all the Win11 hardware requirements, like with my dad’s Toshiba AMD based Satellite laptop.

So that your Dad knows why he can’t upgrade to Windows 11?

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1387 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

@EP. I was offered and installed KB5005463 even as my PC is compatible with Windows 11.
      I understand sending the updates to none-compatible PCs but why send to already compatible PCs ?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: MSFT PC Health-Check KB5005463

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.