News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Multifile zip extract support in Windows -what works in which versions?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Multifile zip extract support in Windows -what works in which versions?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Well, so everyone remembers that Windows Explorer can open .zip files natively… but what happens with multifile .zip archives?

I seem to recall that “extract all” was supposed to work with those but it doesn’t seem to. I can browse the whole archive and extract one file at a time, any of the files (even one that starts in subarchive 1 and ends in 2) – there’s an error about using same volume as both source and target with the second file to extract in the same operation, every time, also when I select 2 nonadjacent files from the aggregate archive and try to copy/paste…

Tried with W 8.1 Pro and W 10 1909 Pro, both 64 bit, different language versions. No difference except error message localization.

My multifile zip archive for testing was generated in Windows Subsystem for Linux / Ubuntu Bionic, with zip v. 3.0-11build1, fragment size 70 megabytes.

• #2021305 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Well, so everyone remembers that Windows Explorer can open .zip files natively… but what happens with multifile .zip archives?

Use a 3rd party app like the free PeaZip :

https://www.peazip.org/how-to-extract-rar-zip-archives.html

• #2021311 Reply
          mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

Actually with multivolume archives I prefer 7-Zip, because it’ll tell you the volume index where a given file will start… couldn’t figure out how to find out that information with PeaZip.

Both 7-Zip and PeaZip will let you browse the archive without having all volumes present. (Seems to need first and last.) This is nifty if it’s in cloud storage with on-demand download, say OneDrive… especially nice when you only need some parts from the archive, and the connection isn’t particularly fast.

However, the point was to find out if this really does require a third-party application always… because I managed to get the impression that it used to work at some point with just the builtin tools?

Was that just some random OEM-integrated zip tool I just didn’t notice at the time that was in that one factory-fresh PC where it worked, or is there a way to make it “magically” work, say some specific fragment size or the –no-extra switch to skip extended attributes…? Or a specific originating application?

(No, zipsplit won’t help … it still has the old 2 GB limit.)

Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Multifile zip extract support in Windows -what works in which versions?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.