News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Multiple EFI System Partitions on GPT disk

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Windows 10 version 21H1 – May 2021 Update » Multiple EFI System Partitions on GPT disk

Author
    Topic

windows crashed inexplicably and could not be revived. Eventually rebuilt from win1021H1 USB install disk. in the process Windows refused to install to my disk as parttioned so dleted all partitions and started from scratch.  All good installation.

THEN: I tried to rebuild the original Cdrive from a Macrium Reflect image – only the files C: partition.  Could not reboot.  Went back to Macrium (just guessing now) and told it to copy the System partition.  I presume that when I ended up with 2 system partitions.

After some fiddling around Windows seems to boot up OK <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>BUT</span> I now show THREE Windows Boot Managers in the Boot Menu and two system partitions so I don’t expect it to be stable. (see images of Macrium and Disk Management windows)

Can I/Should I do anything?

Thanks

Viewing 0 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Even if you’re dual booting, only one EFI partition is necessary.  However, I am not at all familiar with Macrium Reflect, so I’m not able to offer you any further advice.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
      We all have our own reasons for doing the things that we do. We don't all have to do the same things.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 0 reply threads
    Reply To: Multiple EFI System Partitions on GPT disk

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.