News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • My LAN and WAN no longer connect!

Posted on WSexpcman Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Networking – routers, firewalls, network configuration My LAN and WAN no longer connect!

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        WSexpcman
        AskWoody Plus

Two weeks ago to-day, I found myself unable to access the Internet through my router (Netgear) so I plugged my desk-top directly into my modem (Netgear) and still could not access the net although both the down-load and up-load lights were steadily “in the green” but the “Internet” light continued to be flashing orange!

After all sorts of things (including replacing my router, which may or may not have had any effect … ??? … I do wonder how much at least some of my problems were the result of a recent up-grade from MS for my Win 10 soft-ware “broke the connection,” which I have read elsewhere DID happen … ???) I am now “up and running” with my desk-top plugged directly into my old modem … and no more “slow and uncertain” internet connection, as I was experiencing last week (!!!) but …

But I still can not access the Net when I try to go through the router to get to the modem! So the modem is working AND the router is working, in that when I connect my lap-top into the router I can connect to my tablets and wireless printer! What!!!!! This does not compute … or perhaps does but I lack the necessary knowledge or understanding.

So any ideas/suggestions as to what the problem is (or even might be) and how to cure it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Frank

• #2199825 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

If the PC/laptop is working when connected directly it is not a Windows problem.

The first thing we need to know is how your PC is set up to connect to the router / modem.
        The normal method is to use DHCP to automatically set the IP address. You can check this by typing this at a Command Prompt: ipconfig /all
        Look for something like this: DHCP Server . . . : 192.168.1.1

Next we need to know if you can talk to the router/modem.
        Enter the DHCP server address from the step above into your browser URL field. You should see the status page of your router/modem.

Now enter an external address into the URL field of your browser, e.g. google.com.
        What response do you get?

cheers, Paul

• #2199896 Reply
        WSexpcman
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks, Paul, I appreciate this most prompt response and I would have responded sooner except that I was out running errands and then after I got back I spent some time exploring things as you suggest, not that I am “up and running” yet but I can respond now … and am adding two attachments, the firs being what came up through “ipconfig /all” when I was trying to plug in through my router and the second when I was connected to the Net by plugging my desk-top directly into the modem, with quite different results.

Please note that my problem is when I am using my router to access my modem, and you focusing my attention on “DHCP Server” led me to notice that I did NOT come up with any “192.168.1.1” (which I did recognize from prior “futzing around” … a technical term there!) but something else, entirely different but which was not able to access the router (which I had set up as the means of connecting my desk-top to the modem).

On the other hand, this “192.168.1.1” IS what is shown in the second copy of the “ipconfig /all” I get when plugged in directly to the modem. So it looks like for some reason there is something that is turned off (or on?) either in the router or in my desk-top, but if so, I haven’t a clue as to what that might be.

Frank

ipconfig

ipconfig.JPG-2

Attachments:
      • #2207918 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

That is an unusual configuration. Comcast have made your PC a member of their network instead of giving you your own little private network.

Can you connect the router to the modem, PC to router and run IPCONFIG again?
        Then follow the steps above to show the router home page and post a screenshot.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: My LAN and WAN no longer connect!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.