• My three browsers

Author
    Topic

I use three different browsers in Linux Mint. I have listed them in order of preference:

1. Firefox with NoScript – NoScript blocks all scripts from running, except for those that I specifically allow. Useful to block what I don’t want running, and useful for seeing what is trying to run silently in the background. Because of NoScript, I have learned that Google scripts run on 99.99% of all websites (except for Microsoft websites), and that Microsoft scripts don’t run on any websites (except for Microsoft websites). (Actually, one time I saw outlook.com scripts running on one non-Microsoft website.

2. Falkon – when I want to surf the web without NoScript blocking stuff. Some sites don’t run well when I am running NoScript, and I don’t want to disable it from FireFox, so I run Falkon for those sites. The thing I like about Falkon is that it doesn’t ask me to input a Keyring password. (Apparently it doesn’t try to use Keyring.)

3. Vivaldi – There are a few sites which don’t run well with either Firefox/NoScript or Falkon, so for those sites I run Vivaldi. I do not like Vivaldi because of the hassle of having to cancel the Keyring prompt three times every time I run it, but I don’t know how to turn off Keyring, so I put up with it. That’s why Vivaldi is my last choice.

I installed Edge today in Linux Mint. Immediately I got hassled with the Keyring prompt, so I promptly uninstalled it.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
    with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

My three browsers (the ones I really use) are:

Waterfox “Current”, Chrome and Vivaldi. I have Safari installed, because it came with the Mac. I keep it updated, but I don’t use it. And FF: I keep it neither updated nor used.

Vivaldi is a nice browser I started using recently. It imported my bookmarks from Waterfox without fuss or muss, WF being a browser I have been using for a number of years and now is not running well anymore in some sites.

I use Chrome for sites that are fussy abut not liking anything that is not FF or Chrome.

I do not like FF. Sorry FF people.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur 11.6 & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
      Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
      macOS Monterey; browsers: Waterfox "Current", Vivaldi and (now and then) Chrome; security apps. Intego AV and Malwarebytes for Macs.

OscarCP wrote:
        I do not like FF. Sorry FF people.

I do not like surveillance capitalism. I do not like Chrome. Sorry Google.

I like privacy. I like Firefox. Thanks Mozilla!

Hope this helps.

I run Pale Moon with NoScript,( it is not recommended and my newer rig is using UBlock Origin.) and Edge with UBlock Origin , Chrome is always available but very seldom touched. FF is installed but has not been used for years since the Moz Mafia made a mess of it.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
      1 user thanked author for this post.

I have never heard of Keyring. I looked it up and it appears to be an add-on function for a browser.

If this is true, why don’t you just remove it – if it is causing so much irritation?

Do a search for “disable keyring”, and you will find out more information about it.

I have tried and tried to find out how to remove or disable it. About the only thing I can find is to give it a blank password, in order to stop it from prompting you for the password. But that seems to me to be a bad way of going about it; if I actually do have any stored passwords, anyone will be able to access them if the only “protection” is a blank password.

I don’t believe it is listed with the extensions, but I’m going to check that out as soon as I get home.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)

I finally found it! I finally found out how to turn off the incessant “keyring” prompt in Vivaldi!

First, here’s where I found it:
      https://xerocrypt.wordpress.com/2017/04/13/how-to-disable-the-vivaldi-browser-keyring-request/

It’s really simple — you edit your Vivaldi launcher (i.e. shortcut) and add the following to the end of the command line:

–password-store=basic

The entire command line will look like this:

/usr/bin/vivaldi-stable %U –password-store=basic

You’ll need to edit the command line of every launcher you will use for Vivaldi in order for this method to always work.

I don’t know how to “hard-code” this setting into Vivaldi; but for now, I’m good.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    Reply To: My three browsers

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.