News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Mystifying pop ups

Posted on Vincenzo Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Mystifying pop ups

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by

Vincenzo 1 month ago.

• Author

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

My friend’s computer is getting these odd pop-ups, or maybe pop-ins, since they slide in from the right side.  See attachment.

They always say Google Chrome, but they pop in even when Chrome is not running, with no sign of Chrome in task manager. I deleted all the extensions in Chrome but still happening.

If you close the pop up, another one takes its place.

The Facebook message you see in the attachment is only there in maybe 1 out of 10 of these messages.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments:
    • #1669525 Reply

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

BTW I’ve run 5 or 6 malware scanners, MalwareBytes, ADWcleaner, ESET, SAS, etc.

But did not help.

• #1671267 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Check if Chrome is still running by opening Task Manager when you see a pop-up. (Right click on the task bar and select Task Manager.)

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1671949 Reply

Barry
      AskWoody Plus

I think this is part of W10 notifications. I see it on my Daughters laptop all the time.

Not sure how to fix it you might try disabling Contra.

Barry (Seeker)
      Windows 10 Home V 1903

• #1675147 Reply

cyberSAR
      AskWoody Plus

To turn off notifications in Chrome.
      https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3220216?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1682903 Reply

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

Check if Chrome is still running by opening Task Manager when you see a pop-up. (Right click on the task bar and select Task Manager.)

cheers, Paul

There’s nothing in Task Manager that is recognizable to me as Chrome-related. Thanks

• #1682911 Reply

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

To turn off notifications in Chrome.
      https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3220216?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

This fixed it for me!

Thanks so much.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Mystifying pop ups

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.