News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Nadella gives away the store with new ‘Microsoft everywhere’ strategy

Home Forums AskWoody blog Nadella gives away the store with new ‘Microsoft everywhere’ strategy

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  embryjim 2 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

It’s a whole new strategy: Give away the blades, sell the razor.And it just might work.InfoWorld Tech Watch
      [See the full post at: Nadella gives away the store with new ‘Microsoft everywhere’ strategy]

• #52278 Reply

embryjim

I’m sorry, I guess I’m a Luddite to think that all this cloud based mania is not good. My employer (a large University) wants its faculty/staff to do exactly the opposite, keep files out of the cloud. Is MS turning its back on its Enterprise business? The business I might add that generated all the profits and created the infrastucture and name that MS plays upon? All this “keeping up with Apple” is really turning busineeses off of MS. If you come out with an OS every year or so, don’t expect your enterprise customers to upgrade. We like the 4-6 year cycle, its not really sustainable any other way, otherwise that’s all we’d be doing, upgrading OS’s. Don’t they have focus groups anymore? Or do they just not listen to them? Despite what MS wants to believe you cannot converge a mobile/tablet/phone OS and and an Enterprise OS. Just man up and split the two and do a great job of each. Apple can integrate the two because, and I quote one of the Apple reps who visited our campus when Jobs was alive and was in a meeting and heard Jobs say this, “I don’t care about the Enterprise”

• #52279 Reply

Eric

So now unlimited OneDrive is free. Oh, that’s right — its included with your subscription to a different product. Just like they made IE free with windows. Ooes anybody remenmber what happened to Netscape after the MS free browser hit the market? Once again MS anticompetitive predatory practices come to the fore. Perhaps the only thing that exceeds their greed is my disgust at their behavior.

• #52280 Reply

rc primak

This isn’t about moving all Apps and storage to the Cloud. The “Microsoft Everywhere” strategy is about making Office Apps available for all major OS platforms except Linux.

Trouble is, with all the flavors and versions of Android, one has to ask whether Microsoft can make any version of the Office Apps work on most Android tablets and phones? And to date, the answer is a resounding No.

This is possibly where the Microsoft Everywhere concept meets the hard pavement of the reality of a very fragmented Android market. Android isn’t as fragmented as Linux, but the bewildering variations do give one pause.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Nadella gives away the store with new ‘Microsoft everywhere’ strategy

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.