News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Nadella: Win10 hits 600 million monthly active devices

Home Forums AskWoody blog Nadella: Win10 hits 600 million monthly active devices

Viewing 12 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Da Boss

Todd Bishop at GeekWire had it first: CEO Satya Nadella referenced the new number for the first time moments ago at the company’s annual shareholders
        [See the full post at: Nadella: Win10 hits 600 million monthly active devices]

• #148404 Reply
        anonymous

XBox Ones don’t run Win10, do they? IoTs probably would count, however.

• #148514 Reply
          anonymous

Maybe virtual Machines are included in the magic number.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #148417 Reply
        radosuaf
        AskWoody Lounger

Of course they do.

MSI H110 PC MATE * Intel Core i5-6402P * 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133 MHz * Aorus Radeon RX 570 4GB * Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD * Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD * Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD * DVD RW Lite-ON iHAS 124 * Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI * Windows 10 Pro 2004 64-bit
      • #148432 Reply
        anonymous

Well why would XBox run Win10?  They require a different menu system/interface, work with a limited set of hardware it can reliably expect to be there, and is designed to be optimized for that specific hardware.  At least until X360 the codebase was completely separate, likewise with Windows Phone.

IoT is new in that it’s the first non-PC extension of the main OS codebase, and even that might be false advertising.

• #148436 Reply
        MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody_MVP

It’s not clear to me if the 600 million number includes…refrigerators.

I can’t in my wildest nightmares imagine having a Windows 10 “smart” refrigerator.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
        • #148441 Reply
          zero2dash
          AskWoody Lounger

I can’t imagine having a smart refrigerator (or any smart appliance).
          I’d ESPECIALLY stay away from the ones built on Windows though. 😀
          I’ve seen enough pics online of BSOD ATM’s, kiosks, and airport terminal display boards.

• #148478 Reply
          dononline
          AskWoody Plus

I wonder if their refrigerators are on the same update/upgrade schedule as WaaS? 🙂

• #148955 Reply
          MrJimPhelps
          AskWoody_MVP

This article is over a year old, but it is relevant to the discussion.

“LG put Windows 10 on a fridge”

That means you can launch all kinds of Windows apps on the fridge, and even classics like MS Paint and regedit if you desire.

I can see someone reading this article, then running regedit on their LG refrigerator, then the fridge simply goes on the blink!

I wonder what effect the “Fall Creator’s Update” had on this fridge?

Per one of the comments, this refrigerator costs $4500. Sounds like putting in all of the hackable “smart” technology was worth it, don’t you think?

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/9/2/12767932/lg-instaview-fridge-windows-10-ifa-2016

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
          with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      • #148438 Reply
        anonymous

Never mind, it looks like it does run a WinOS Core VM:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-to-update-xbox-one-consoles-with-windows-10-core-in-november/

Interesting.

• #148544 Reply
        lurks about
        AskWoody Plus

Running some math, 100 million in 7 months is 14 million per month. But the annual PC market is about 250 to 280 million units per year or 21 million + per month. MS is saying that W10 is only capturing about 2/3 of the market of new devices. What is installed on the other devices?

• #148550 Reply
        Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

Well why would XBox run Win10? They require a different menu system/interface, work with a limited set of hardware it can reliably expect to be there, and is designed to be optimized for that specific hardware.

One could say the same about putting ostensibly the same OS on a PC and on a phone or tablet.  They did do it, though, and even with their hopes of gaining a foothold in mobile dashed, they are still pushing the mobile UI on devices to which it is not suited.  Canonical gave up on the “one UI to rule them all” idea, but MS just charges ahead, mixing in a third design language even while the existing product is still half and half with their last two design languages.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.20.3 User Edition)

• #148556 Reply
        Noel Carboni
        AskWoody_MVP

I have several Win 10 virtual machines. They all run on my one device – my Win 8.1 workstation.

I am absolutely 100% sure that this counts as multiple “devices” when in fact I wouldn’t trust my computing needs to any hardware device running Win 10.

-Noel

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #148857 Reply
          b
          AskWoody Plus

I have several Win 10 virtual machines. They all run on my one device – my Win 8.1 workstation.

Why?

I am absolutely 100% sure that this counts as multiple “devices” when in fact I wouldn’t trust my computing needs to any hardware device running Win 10.

How?

• #148607 Reply
        anonymous

Win 7 was released in July 2009. After more than 2 years, in Oct 2011, its world desktop OS market share was 34.62%. …
        http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=11&qpcustomb=0&qptimeframe=M&qpsp=143&qpnp=13

Win 10 was released in July 2015. After more than 2 years, in Oct 2017, its world desktop OS market share was 29.26%. …
        https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0&qptimeframe=M

The adoption rate of Win 10 lags behind that of Win 7 even though it was and still is a free upgrade for consumers running Win 7/8.1. Wonder why ?

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #148612 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

I find it hard to compare the statistics for Win7 with those for Win10.

The numbers (or percentages) of Windows connected to the internet/used/whatever-the-criteria for Win7 was COMPUTERS. There was no other Win7.

The numbers for Win10 is DEVICES – computers, phones, tablets, XBoxs, IoTs. That’s not the same thing.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

5 users thanked author for this post.
        • #148679 Reply
          zero2dash
          AskWoody Lounger

I honestly think it’s just a buzz word speech to save his [Nadella’s] job that he regurgitates as much as possible to stay relevant. He’s done a terrible job as CEO from a marketing and PR perspective which to everyone other than shareholders, is the most important take.

They’re including devices including Xboxes. There are 3 Xbox One models that have been released thus far which will pad the numbers substantially. On top of that, Win7 was never given away as a free upgrade for Vista and XP users, like 10 was for 7, 8 and 8.1 users. If that’s not “padding the numbers”, I don’t know what is.

And unfortunately, I don’t think we’ll ever see a true, real comparison with these numbers to anything else. He might as well start mocking himself and start talking about million billion trillion zillion machines.

• #148682 Reply
          Noel Carboni
          AskWoody_MVP

The unwritten sentiment here is that PCs still matter.

We of course know that they do, but the industry (and Wall Street) somehow have become convinced that they don’t.

Put another way, if you’re not the smart phone OS of choice skimming a percentage profit off everything everyone does, you have utterly failed as a tech company.

To put ALL the eggs in that basket, especially with a company as complex as Microsoft, seems ridiculous, but we can note that they couldn’t even succeed when every single mind at Microsoft was bent toward making a mobile operating system.

-Noel

5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #148732 Reply
        anonymous

I wonder if  Win 7 is up also?

• #148820 Reply
        anonymous

Just out of interest, I would like to see a breakdown of those ‘active devices’ with their individual percent usage.

I’ve never seen an ‘active device’ count for W10S or W10 IOT.

As part of its quarterly earnings report posted Jan 26, 2017, Microsoft said Xbox Live monthly active users reached a record 55 million. So does that mean if these owners are steaming games to a W10 PC, that counts the Xbox as a W10 active device? I am lost on this one.
        Windows 10 Mobile (smartphone ) is guesstimated at around 2 million devices or less right now. I could not find any ‘active device’ count from Microsoft on this, anywhere. The same goes for W10 Tablets.

Overall, I do not think that MS has an accurate ‘active device’ count at all. They would know the activated licenses out there, but that does not mean that the device is active. They also have digital entitlements assigned to upgraded systems and that does not mean it is an ‘active device’ on W10. It might have been reverted back to W7/8.

I assume that if a device is set to check for windows updates it is considered an ‘active device’. That would include pirated licenses as well as genuine licenses. I wonder if the count is adjusted to reflect the difference?

• #148823 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

XBox runs Win10. XBox streaming to XBox (not a PC) is a device running Win10.
          The numbers say “devices,” not PCs – counting anything running WIn10.

Viewing 12 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Nadella: Win10 hits 600 million monthly active devices

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.