News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • NAS AV Scan Taking several days

Posted on FL Jack Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Networking – routers, firewalls, network configuration NAS AV Scan Taking several days

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  FL Jack 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

FL Jack
      AskWoody Plus

This is the first time I’ve run an AV scan on my QNAP TS-231 (2-bay, ARM Cortex A9 1.2GHz, 512MB) server since upgrading the HDDs from 2TB(x2) to 4TB(x2).

The scan started this past Monday night (9/9) at 10:00PM and continues as I write this (9/14).  The HDDs are RAID1 and have 2.5TB free each.  The scans when using 2TB HDDs took less than a day.

Scan progress showed as 2% on 9/10, 7% on 9/12, and 9% today, 9/14.  At this rate the HDDs will probably dies before it finishes.

I am using the QNAP AV program, which I believe is ClamAV.

Can anyone suggest a reason this is taking so much time to run and how to correct the situation?

Thanks for your help.

• #1951420 Reply

anonymous

Yes indeed the antivirus is Clam AV which can be grueling slow on any operating system and CPU platform, Were there any recent updates for your NAS?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1951453 Reply

FL Jack
      AskWoody Plus

I keep the NAS fully updated on a regular basis.  As the NAS was scanning a new firmware update became available, but I thought it better to install it after the AV scan.

I’m going to let the AV scan continue on, but I hope it doesn’t restart Monday as the schedule is set.

This long scan is ridiculous and is bogging down the NAS response times.

• #1952062 Reply

FL Jack
      AskWoody Plus

The drives (Toshiba N300), HDWQ140XZSTA) are listed on the compatibility list and I’ve had no other issues with them.

The only changes made have been keeping the applications and firmware updated.

AV is still scanning this morning (9/15) still showing 9%.

Many thanks for your assistance.

• #1952081 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

Seems like it’s been a problem for years, and most QNAP forum responses are “don’t use it”:

antivirus taking 6 seconds per file!

Should ClamAV be this SLOOOW?

Antivirus too slow

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

• #1952086 Reply

FL Jack
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks.  I was thinking of never using it again.  I think I’ll stop the scan and let things get back to normal.   I had tried googling the issue before posting here, but couldn’t find anything.

I appreciate you help.

b

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: NAS AV Scan Taking several days

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.